Use of superconductors in space

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

glibbus

Hello there, I'm curious about the amount of research that is being put in to the use of superconductivity in space. I've witnessed the process in which a superconductor can be chilled to create a small, stable magnetic field in the lab before and always wondered if any practical applications of this technology are being used on spacecraft. One main reason for the curiosity is the question: if liquid nitrogen is used to cool the superconductors at room temperature, what kind of results would be expected in the cold void of space?

Would love to see some interesting articles/ideas.

Thanks.

D

defiant101

oh yeah i read an article about this european space agency did an experiment, they need to do more research but yeah i think this can have a big impact, and it will help spaceflight alot, but like anything it needs more research.

K

kk434

Well the A.M.S. was planned to use a huge superconducting magnet and be launched this year to the ISS. That would be a great testbed for superconductors in space. Too bad they changed it for a permanent magnet.

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, it's a shame they wanted it to work relaibly for a longer period of time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts