Vacuum Energy's Affects on Neutron Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I was reading this article http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/vacuum-energy-star-explosions-101020.html and I was intregued by the idea that neutron stars could explode by this method. They are essentially the closest thing to a black hole without becoming one.

Neutron Stars Are Doomed if Vacuum Runs Wild":29mpe3vs said:
"This "vacuum energy," as scientists call it, is usually thought of as extremely weak at best. But theoretical physicists in Brazil suggest that the immensely powerful gravitational fields of neutron stars could "awaken the vacuum," causing its energy to build up exponentially very quickly."

My question is that if the energy builds exponentially to a point that you have stellar instability and the neutron star explodes, wouldn't we be able to detect neutron star remnants like supernova's given the amount of neutron stars that have formed and possibly met this fait since the formation of the universe?

E

EarthlingX

If neutron stars can explode like described, we should be able, or will be able, to see their remains - question is, what to look for ? What would those remains look like ? How would matter, once compressed in the star, erhm, uncompress ? There would probably be no more 'neutronium', but perhaps more 'heavy metal' than in regular, supernova explosion ?

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

So would it produce heavier elements then normally found on the periodic table? or do you think neutronium (if any remained) would be in an energy form? I'm sure there would have to be some sort of stellar cloud remnant left behind from such an explosion. I am sure that something so very close to collapse into a black hole would not be very stable. That's just my take on it. It's almost as though they are created only because something prevented the entire collapse given how compressed it is. What stopped the full collapse? I don't know. Maybe a balancing between the stars gravity and it's mass. Someone else would have to answer that one. But it I were a gambler I would bet they are very unstable and they could go either way.

Is there any known binary star systems with a neutron star and a normal star? If so does the neutron star feed material off of the normal one? I'm just curious to know if you applied a fuel source would the neutron star show signs of expanding or fully collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts