wat's the diff between reflector and refractor telecopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angelicscars

yes,i know.i'm stupid. so wat's the different between those 2 types of telescopes?

P

petepan

Here is a pic of a reflector, notice the light path...

P

petepan

And here is a refractor.... <br /><br />The light goes in the front and is observed at the back..

C

cobrien1985

I assuming your asking this because you want to know which one is better? Here is my opinion:<br /><br />Reflectors: There not bad, the are long tubes with mirrors that REFLECT light into an image but in order to get a good picture with them you need a large aperture to view those faint fuzzies as some of us call them. I have personally seen how they are, if you want to get one of these go for a 10" or larger aperture with a dobsonian mount <br /><br />Refractors: Oh my personal choice of use. You see the pictures above, so i am not going to explain this one. If you get one of these I would go for a Celestron Nexstar 5i, 8i, or a Meade LX200 GPS on the range of 8", 10" or 12" for a good view of everything. But it really depends on how much you know about the night sky. If you can memorize 2 stars that you can find for the alighnment go for it. But overall it is up to YOU on what you get. If you need more help let me know. <br /><br />Also, dont forget on FRIDAY AUG. 12 the Perseid Meteor Shower peaks.

S

Saiph

12" refractor?...<br /><br />Um, I don't think they go that big. <br /><br />If you're looking to buy a scope, buy a reflector (specifically a newtonian or dobsonian telescope).<br /><br />They're the biggest bang for your buck, as they are more portable, larger, and cheaper than refractors. And size does mean a lot in astronomy.<br /><br />The actual design advantages of a refractor over a reflector are minor, and best appreciated by people with lots of experience. I.e. a beginer won't notice the positives, and won't know how to deal with the negatives. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

J

jcdenton

<font color="yellow">Refractors: Oh my personal choice of use. You see the pictures above, so i am not going to explain this one. If you get one of these I would go for a Celestron Nexstar 5i, 8i, or a Meade LX200 GPS on the range of 8", 10" or 12" for a good view of everything.</font><br /><br />The telescopes you mentioned are Schmidt-Cassegrains, not refractors. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Saiph

and while the schmidt does use a lense, it is only a "pre-correction" to alter the incomming light just enough, and in a specific fashion, to offset the major image flaw (coma IIRC) of the cassegrain design. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts