We could terraform Mars with desert moss — but does that mean we should?

A couple of thoughts:

1. For this moss to spread and more or less cover Mars, it would need to be compatible with the chemicals in the surface of Mars. Mars has a lot of perchlorates in its soil. Have experiments been performed here on Earth to see how that would affect the spread of the moss? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_soil for other issues with Martian soil supporting vegetation.

2. Even if this moss could cover Mars, eventually, what effects would it have on the Martian atmosphere? Would it become more dense? Would it get a breathable percentage of oxygen? What are the actual benefits of getting Mars covered with this moss?

Regarding the "ethics" of changing the ecosystem on Mars, it seems to me that we first need to determine whether there is any ecosystem on Mars. And, I think that determination should have a high priority - mainly because it is a matter of knowledge that could be lost if not properly investigated.

But, once understood to be abiotic, I see no reason not to introduce biological elements to the Martian surface.

On the other hand, if we do discover some sort of life on Mars, then I think we need to be careful not to disrupt it before we understand it. That is not because I think we need to be "fair" to bacteria or even amoebas - it is because it is in our own best interest to learn as much as we can about life that evolved somewhere besides on Earth. So long as humans still eat cows, pigs, chickens and just about all other forms of life on Earth, it would seem strange to give Martian microscopic life forms more rights than we give animals on our home planet.

However, if we discover an underground society of large animals, that would get into some more ethical issues. But, I don't think anybody is expecting that.

Is the surface of Mars under constant radiation? Will Mars allow any life in the soil? Can any plant live thru that quick change in temp? It's a whopper and doesn't take months of steps to change.

There really wasn't much information about growing there. It reverted to the big questions of going and what to do there.

It might be a question of what is permissible. Mars might not be green. Or at least not Earth green.

I'm not aware of any conditions under which such a plant could get liquid water - no rain, no dew, no frost melt because water vapor content of atmosphere is too low. I think the moss will just get desiccated and die. And if I understand correctly moss reproduction requires the presence of liquid water for the gametes to meet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Classical Motion
If moss was one of the first plants, it does seem reasonable that the water requirement would be high. The moss I know of live in damp areas.

But I might have seen dormant dried up moss in arid regions and not know it. I only know the wet kind.

Gravity with and ionized air cap on top. The top cap works with the Earth's M and E fields to bound the top ionized layer. Earth's EM fields also keep that air from being blown away with solar wind.

What air does escape is replaced with natural re-cycle processes. We do leave a trail thru space. A debris trail. All planets do, maybe not Mercury. Some say a faint trail.

This ionized blanket can wave much faster than water. And might turn out to become a very sensitive and valuable instrument. A large sensitive instrument.

The high atmosphere has properties just like quantum sensors do. If we could find a quick and precise alignment method, we might use it to detect the smallest of space "distortions". And one heck of a radio receiving antenna.

Many possibilities.

Latest posts