What are the real chances of an asteroid hitting Earth?

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
I agree with detection being the key and placing asteroid Hunter satellites around the Earth is needed however I believe it's shortsighted.

I suggest we place two asteroid Hunter satellites in far orbit around the Moon.

This will accomplish two things, one - earliest detection possible allowing us to have more options to use, two - help protect the Moon because if the Earth does not have the Moon to help protect us we won't stand much of a chance in the future with asteroid bombardment as well as many other things that the moon serves a purpose for to the Earth.

The Moon blocks roughly about 1 in 120,000 incoming objects. Some objects are deflected away, but it also deflects some toward the Earth.

There are 41,253 sq. degrees in a sphere. The Moon is < 1/4 sq. degree. But many, if not most, objects will fly along the plane of the ecliptic, but the Moon is not on the ecliptic that often, but enough to help a little, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catastrophe
Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
The Moon blocks only about 1 in 200,000 incoming objects. Some objects are deflected away, but it also deflects some toward the Earth.

There are 41,253 sq. degrees in a sphere. The Moon is < 1/4 sq. degree. But many, if not most, objects will fly along the plane of the ecliptic, but the Moon is not on the ecliptic that often, but enough to help a little, I think.
I was hoping that the moon could serve as an outpost.

I was wondering if asteroid Hunter satellites could orbit earth as far out as the moon is?

I was hoping that the moon could serve as an outpost.

I was wondering if asteroid Hunter satellites could orbit earth as far out as the moon is?
[I dropped my 200,000 figure since 41253/0.25 is about 160k, and the ecliptic plane issue is important, IMO.]

Yes, the Moon could be a great place for a semi-large survey telescope to constantly hunt for moving objects. Perhaps something fixed on the far side might be best.

Larsen, I don't see why they should not orbit at L4 and L5 of the Earth Moon system.. Helio will know.
That seems like a good idea to me! :)

An L4 and L5 (both) would be very helpful to catch the tricky ones coming at us from the direction of the big bright white object in the sky. Many objects have come zipping by without much notice since the blaze of Sun prevented any detection.

From Earth to L4 and to L5 is 150 million km to each, thus giving us a much better view.

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
That seems like a good idea to me! :)

An L4 and L5 (both) would be very helpful to catch the tricky ones coming at us from the direction of the big bright white object in the sky. Many objects have come zipping by without much notice since the blaze of Sun prevented any detection.

From Earth to L4 and to L5 is 150 million km to each, thus giving us a much better view.
Thank you 😊