what can i see and when (missouri)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

serosang

i saw mars last night what else is visible at this time? i know there's a meteor shower later in paril but what else is there to see?

M

MeteorWayne

You know, you seem to ask questions and ignore the advice given to you. Why do you bother then? Boris gave you a link that includes star charts which shows where the planets are, yet you said it was not what you are looking for. Huh?

Briefly, planetwise, the naked eye planets Mercury and Jupiter are too close to the sun to be seen right now. Venus is setting in the west after sunset, Mercury will be very close to it in about a week. Saturn rises around sunset, is highest overhead around 1 AM and sets near dawn. A telescope, and detailed star charts are needed to find Uranus and Neptune.

The meteor shower in April is the Lyrids, not really an impressive one 98% of the time, but after the winter dry spell we meteor observers lap it up like water after walking across the desert. It begins around the 15th and "peaks" on the 22nd. I'll post more detailed info in Space Science and Astronomy about a week before the start.

S

serosang

MeteorWayne":2rotpz0f said:
You know, you seem to ask questions and ignore the advice given to you. Why do you bother then? Boris gave you a link that includes star charts which shows where the planets are, yet you said it was not what you are looking for. Huh?

Briefly, planetwise, the naked eye planets Mercury and Jupiter are too close to the sun to be seen right now. Venus is setting in the west after sunset, Mercury will be very close to it in about a week. Saturn rises around sunset, is highest overhead around 1 AM and sets near dawn. A telescope, and detailed star charts are needed to find Uranus and Neptune.

The meteor shower in April is the Lyrids, not really an impressive one 98% of the time, but after the winter dry spell we meteor observers lap it up like water after walking across the desert. It begins around the 15th and "peaks" on the 22nd. I'll post more detailed info in Space Science and Astronomy about a week before the start.

oh sorry didnt mean to come off sounding mean or anything after i'd posted the reply i took another look at the site he gave but it old confused me but your post wayne was pretty much what i was asking for; um so when's the lyrids start 'it may not be impressive to you but i've never seen one before im just now geting into all this stuff :)....

S

serosang

The Perseid meteor shower is under way, and peaks around Aug 12-14.[/quote]

where in the sky do i watch for the perseid meteor shower? and around what time should i be watching? i've tried the past two nights but havent seen anything; i found this other site stating The Perseid meteors appear to stream away from their radiant near the border of Perseus and Cassiopeia. And while you're outside on a dark night, don't forget to look for the Double Cluster and the Andromeda Galaxy, two of the easiest "faint fuzzies" to spot with your unaided eyes. but it dosent make much sense to me cause the only constelations that im familar with are the dippers (big/small)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts