What does the Sun look like from the Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeters_Boy

I am looking for a photo of the Sun as seen from the Moon.&nbsp; I have looked everywhere and have come up empty.&nbsp; Any help would be appreciated greatly. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em><strong>Now batting, shortstop Derek Jeter</strong></em></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I am looking for a photo of the Sun as seen from the Moon.&nbsp; I have looked everywhere and have come up empty.&nbsp; Any help would be appreciated greatly. <br />Posted by Jeters_Boy</DIV><br /><br />It would look the same as from the earth, except the background sky would be black instead of blue. I don't think amy astronauts ever spent the film on such an uninteresting target, since it would be a light ball on black velvet. No detail would be visible, and they couldn't even have looked as they took the picture. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

Jeters_Boy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It would look the same as from the earth, except the background sky would be black instead of blue. I don't think amy astronauts ever spent the film on such an uninteresting target, since it would be a light ball on black velvet. No detail would be visible, and they couldn't even have looked as they took the picture. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>I hate to disagree with someone on my 2nd post, but I think a photo taken of sunset from the moon would be very interesting to look at. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em><strong>Now batting, shortstop Derek Jeter</strong></em></p> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I hate to disagree with someone on my 2nd post, but I think a photo taken of sunset from the moon would be very interesting to look at. <br />Posted by Jeters_Boy</DIV></p><p>If you personally think such an image would somehow be artistically appealing then you could build one using a graphics program.&nbsp; It would look like a landscape of the moon superimposed over an ordinary photo of the sun (better be taken with a rather strong filter) and black&nbsp;background.&nbsp;&nbsp;From a scientific perspective there are more useful images of the sun available.&nbsp; "Interesting to look at" is an artistic criteria, not a scientific one.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p>Here's some panoramas from each apollo mission.&nbsp;&nbsp; Some of the early ones do have images of the sun.</p><p>However, there is this statement from the website.</p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"In several of the panoramas the sun is very low and shining directly into the camera which causes very large flares. I have tried to keep this as much as possible like the originals but in some the visible errors from this has been covered by a photoshop generated flare."</em></font> </p><p>http://www.panoramas.dk/moon/mission-apollo.html</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Here's one from the Gemini missions before we landed on the moon.&nbsp;</p><p>Image linkhttp://www.redorbit.com/modules/img...eight=250" alt="" width="395" height="250" /><br /><br /><br />Here's a sunrise from apollo 7, again... prior to landing on the moon<br /><br />Image link <br /><br />As you can see... even before we landed on the moon, the images are nothing special.&nbsp; Without building special cameras with special filters, the images are not that revealing.&nbsp; At the time, we could probably do better right from the surface of the earth.&nbsp; It just wasn't a priority to add weight to missions with special cameras and taking away from the main goal. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

D

dreamer420

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Here's some panoramas from each apollo mission.&nbsp;&nbsp; Some of the early ones do have images of the sun.However, there is this statement from the website."In several of the panoramas the sun is very low and shining directly into the camera which causes very large flares. I have tried to keep this as much as possible like the originals but in some the visible errors from this has been covered by a photoshop generated flare." http://www.panoramas.dk/moon/mission-apollo.htmlHere's one from the Gemini missions before we landed on the moon.&nbsp;Image linkHere's a sunrise from apollo 7, again... prior to landing on the moonImage link As you can see... even before we landed on the moon, the images are nothing special.&nbsp; Without building special cameras with special filters, the images are not that revealing.&nbsp; At the time, we could probably do better right from the surface of the earth.&nbsp; It just wasn't a priority to add weight to missions with special cameras and taking away from the main goal. <br />Posted by derekmcd</DIV></p><p>This was all the guy asked for.&nbsp; No need to go into posts that you're not interested in and try to make people feel bad because you don't care about the subject.&nbsp; If you don't like it don't respond and carry on with your day.&nbsp; The internet will be a much happier place.</p>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This was all the guy asked for.&nbsp; No need to go into posts that you're not interested in and try to make people feel bad because you don't care about the subject.&nbsp; If you don't like it don't respond and carry on with your day.&nbsp; The internet will be a much happier place. <br /> Posted by dreamer420</DIV></p><p>I'm afraid I don't understand.&nbsp; I simply provided images per the OPs request and provided a touch of commentary in response to the OPs second post.&nbsp; How is this making someone feel bad about a subject I don't care about?</p><p>Perhaps you are simply trolling?&nbsp; Seem rather hypocritical that you jump into a thread with nothing to offer except unfounded criticism while not commenting the thread topic itself?</p><p>Perhaps you are wishing you were a moderator?&nbsp; I don't know.&nbsp; You're behavior has me a bit confounded.</p><p>Maybe you should go toke up at 420 and dream away elsewhere.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts