What I'd like to see as the "standard"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrenalynn

<p>I'm going to just express an opinion here...</p><p>I'd like for the community to consider a standard that we gently support here, since we got our cool Astrophotography forum that some of us asked for...</p><p>&nbsp;What think you all of posting the mechanics of our photography as a standard?</p><p>How'd you make it:&nbsp; Scope, Camera, Exposure, ISO, Mount, prime/projection/etc, Stacking or Single-shot, composite or single image, image-processing tools?&nbsp; Obviously one may not know or have documented everything - but whatever we have.</p><p>I find the best way to learn is by considering other photographer's efforts, and then analyzing their shots and asking questions about their decisions.&nbsp; This elevates it above eye-candy for me and makes it a learning and discussion process.</p><p>Mine will generally look something like:</p><p>Celestron N5 on&nbsp;wedgepod, Canon 20d prime-focus,[unmodified], 50x45Sec (DSS), ISO 1600, [amount of image processing] CS3.</p><p>&nbsp;So I'd have&nbsp;made the photo&nbsp;on a NexStar 5 mounted to a wedgepod with a Canon 20d screwed into the back at prime focus - 50 frames of 45sec each stacked in Deep Sky Stacker at 1600&nbsp;ISO, and then did some image processing in Photoshop CS3.</p><p>What think you all?</p><p>- A&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

T

Testing

<p>You are quite correct. Any experimental procedure requires documentation. Your images of Comet Holmes inspired me to see what I could get away with. I will edit my Moon post momentarily. How the people who came before us did it with film is beyond my conception. Not knowing if you had something worth a damn until it was dunked even if done yourself.&nbsp;&nbsp;Please lead all of us to learn what can be done.</p><p>Pat&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

adrenalynn

<p>My efforts are just hacking, but thank you none-the-less.</p><p>My new backyard scope should be arriving next week (I decided to go with the Orion Atlas 10), and I'm really looking forward to clear weather, and threading-up the new narrow-band filters.</p><p>I'm really hoping to chase-down some of the DSOs that are a bit out of reach of my N5 - as well as some of the cool transients out there.</p><p>Which brings another thread idea I'll kick off in a moment.</p><p>I started off in film astrophotography, but had to abandon it without really learning it - just too expensive and frustrating.&nbsp; You couldn't just have it processed "anywhere", because of the handling, like "pushing" ASA800 to 1600, and processing some of the specialty films.&nbsp; So you shoot a roll of $15+ film, take it the next day across town, come back a week later, pay $45, go through the negatives, find one shot that looks like it might not suck, get it printed for another $10, and discover it's out of focus.&nbsp; Crazy time and money.&nbsp; Now I have a digital focuser that samples the image repeatedly and makes micro adjustments to perfect the focus (with a laptop), a guide-camera that tracks the object to the pixel, and extraordinarily low-noise imagers.&nbsp; All for what amounts to a few thousand dollars including a 10" f/4.7 scope and PEC-capable heavy duty mount that can track any object across the sky with a mouse-click.</p><p>Kinda amazing, isn't it?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.