What is outside our universe?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dragon04

I like to think of our Universe as an expanding bubble in some medium which contains countless other universes.<br /><br />I saw an article on SDC a while back that provided a computer generated model of what the known galaxies in the Universe looked like.<br /><br />It reminded me of depictions I've seen of neurons and synapses and their interconnections in the human brain.<br /><br />It's hard to visualize what's "outside" our Universe. And while I don't have any formal training in astrophysics, I try to imagine something different than provided models of black holes.<br /><br />They always look like a vortex. But if their gravity acts equally in all directions, it directly implies a 5th dimension that I cant visualize.<br /><br />I guess that spin determines that the gravity well of a singularity is in only the X and Y axes, but that seems counterintuitive to me.<br /><br />What would make gravity less in the Z axis of a spinning singularity? ANd if it IS less. theoretically, on should be able to approach a singularity FROM the Z axis and not be affected.<br /><br />But as for an argument, I refer people to this thread....<br />http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=askastronomer&Number=188971&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=<br /><br />Yet we see an accretion disk. Not an accretion sphere.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.