• We hope all of you have a great holiday season and an incredible New Year. Thanks so much for being part of the Space community!

What is the nature of entropy ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Entropy because of time might not be a thing.
If the concept of time is just a property of A to B in quantum fluctuations energy balance then time might not really exist.
Entropy might simply be the temp particle creation/destruction of Fluctuations degradation of everything from that activity.
JMO
It is easy to understand why Einstein said time is an illusion, what I cant understand is why he didn't say that both space and time are illusions caused by the ratio of the speed of light. What we call the space-time continuum is IMO a misnomer, I believe the continuum consists of distance and time, and as we all know time and distances in space, can be stretched or compressed. so neither component of the continuum has fixed dimension. Its all relative !

Nov 19, 2021
The total entropy of the universe always increases because heat flows from hot to cold and time flows in one direction. Time exists whenever two events occur sequentially. Stop that from happening and entroy can't increase. Flow from hot to cold is inevitable. Stop that and entropy can't increase. Best of luck to anyone making the attempt!

The total entropy of the universe always increases because heat flows from hot to cold and time flows in one direction. Time exists whenever two events occur sequentially. Stop that from happening and entroy can't increase. Flow from hot to cold is inevitable. Stop that and entropy can't increase. Best of luck to anyone making the attempt!
True, so true. The point is... If our universe is cyclic as I believe it is, and it transitioned from its current phase of expansion into a phase of contraction, although time would still be progressing toward the future, the spatial element and all contained within it would be contracting... could it continue contracting until it, and all contained within it, once again became a singularity?
A singularity is as simple a stage in its evolution that a universe can possibly be in , so if our universe could while contracting, transition from being in a high entropy state to being a low or zero entropy singularity, then entropy would have to have reversed during that contraction!

We exist within an expanding instance of space-time, so we know how entropy behaves in expanding space-time. What I would like to discuss is. What might happen if space-time was contracting in a big crunch scenario. A contracting universe would be transitioning from a very big, chaotic and cold state, to a very small simple and extremely hot state.

Nov 19, 2021
After the Big Bang, the universe began expanding. The matter in the universe was created everywhere inside it all at once. The BB was space itself expanding, not a bunch of galaxies expanding into an existing space.
If a Big Crunch comes, it will not be space contracting, it will be contraction of matter within a "non shrinking" universe. As it contracts, although it will heat up, there will be heat transfer going on between hotter areas and colder areas. Thus entropy will continue to increase. When a singularity is finally created, our laws of physics break down so we can't say what is going to happen. But since a singularity has no dimension then there cannot be a difference in position of two masses containing heat, thus heat transfer cannot occur, thus all the heat is useless. The entropy will be the temperature of that spot times the mass of that spot. This will be a very high number, no bigger entropy number could exist. Thus Big Crunch is highest possible entropy.

Entropy because of time might not be a thing.
If the concept of time is just a property of A to B in quantum fluctuations energy balance then time might not really exist.
Entropy might simply be the temp particle creation/destruction of Fluctuations degradation of everything from that activity.
JMO
I seem to have either accidentally deleted or got distracted and forgot to hit the post reply, when I first tried to reply to this post.
Anyway, the gist of my deleted/unsent post was that, although I have a rudimentary knowledge of quantum theory, I believe it will ultimately
turn out to be tightly bound to relativity, in the sense that relativity will explain why, gravitation, space-time, energy, and a host of other phenomena within our universe exist. Whereas quantum-theory will explain the relationships between all the small things in existence, plus those small things relationship with space-time.
Even those that know the most about quanta, admit that they don't fully understand its seeming vagaries. Spooky action at a distance, things being in two places at the same time etc.
Maybe I'm to long in the tooth to want to commit to a lengthy study of matters quantum, I can't really explain why it is, but the realm of quantum physics, just doesn't inspire me the way relativity does. I'm awaiting the delivery of a book which could possibly get me motivated, or even change my mind on that. I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

I will give your post more consideration when I'm not quite so tired. Although I'm on the road to recovery I still suffer occasional brain fogging due to having long-covid. So please make allowances.

Reactions: billslugg
I seem to have either accidentally deleted or got distracted and forgot to hit the post reply, when I first tried to reply to this post.
Anyway, the gist of my deleted/unsent post was that, although I have a rudimentary knowledge of quantum theory, I believe it will ultimately
turn out to be tightly bound to relativity, in the sense that relativity will explain why, gravitation, space-time, energy, and a host of other phenomena within our universe exist. Whereas quantum-theory will explain the relationships between all the small things in existence, plus those small things relationship with space-time.
Even those that know the most about quanta, admit that they don't fully understand its seeming vagaries. Spooky action at a distance, things being in two places at the same time etc.
Maybe I'm to long in the tooth to want to commit to a lengthy study of matters quantum, I can't really explain why it is, but the realm of quantum physics, just doesn't inspire me the way relativity does. I'm awaiting the delivery of a book which could possibly get me motivated, or even change my mind on that. I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

I will give your post more consideration when I'm not quite so tired. Although I'm on the road to recovery I still suffer occasional brain fogging due to having long-covid. So please make allowances.
Covid no joke for sure.
Wish more people understood how nasty it can be and did everything they could to stop it passing on.

I think with fluctuation and the rest of everything else is a source of activity and the receiver of it.
Fluctuation, everything else.
Big or tiny everything has fluctuation so IMO it is the source of entropy/time.
The property of fluctuations activity is time or what we think of as time.

Spooky action, i have given this many years of thought and had a brilliant moment thought of how it might work.
If the universe has a tiniest thing then between them is nothing.
Each Point is A or B wrapped in nothing, every point is A or B in the universe.
Traveling through Nothing with no properties takes no time/distance so what looks spooky is A and B right beside each together no matter what the location is.
That nothing between the smallest might allow gravity to travel in the same format of instant speed to any 2 points in the universe because they are all right beside each other.

Everything else is stuck going from point A to B to C at no faster than C the min wave distance of fluctuation.

Quantum entanglement IMO will be gravitational entanglement showing the true nature of our universe.

All JMO

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts