Question What is your favorite weird fact about space?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
The most strange thing about this Universe in my own opinion is it's beginning. The Big Bang.
It's incredible to just imagine a very small bubble bursting into a Universe with dark matter, stars, blackholes, planets, moons, asteroids, dark energy and everything else. Another spectacular thing is the clash between Matter and Antimatter during the beginning of the Universe, the greatest war ever fought which matter won and that is why we are here and I can type in here
Very nicely put!

Reactions: Catastrophe
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
Between Sgr and Cap is an asterism of four 4th magnitude stars in the shape of a Roman cross which I have named Herman's Cross. (See my letter with map in the Dec. 2013 S&T describing it.) Now and through fall Jupiter and Saturn will be positioned above it. Anyone caring to take a photo of the array,
please emailme a copy. Thanks! Please PM me for contact information:

Mod Edit - No Personal Contact Information in public forums

Last edited by a moderator:

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Since this question was superceded by a "wrong post" I trust that it is in order to repeat it:

Where? Have we been sending "Come and get us" messages?

If so, how many are likely to have been received by now by any civilisation which understood them? And how may replies have we received?

What would be our motivation in trying to make contact?

Reactions: dfjchem721
Oct 14, 2019
Visit site
My favorite weird fact about space is that it contains so many absolute unknowns.
I am glad that sites like this exist, because we have so much to learn. It drives creative discourse and discovery.

Not sure if this is a fact, but that should not disqualify it from all the other wacky notions "flying" around out there:

"Dragonfly 44, an ultra diffuse galaxy.... might be made almost entirely of dark matter"*

This galaxy has the mass of the Milky Way but "emits only 1% of the light".

If it is dark matter, why is it the only one found? There should be more dark matter galaxies than "light matter" galaxies. What is going on here?

The absence of any reasonably rational answers will be quite understandable........

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfly_44

Last edited:

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
Sometimes I wonder, isn't it weird that we have a specific set of Laws of Physics? This somehow, you know, makes the athropic principle right. But I don't know.

DrJoePesce

Verified Expert
Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
That we are finding massive super massive black holes very shortly after the Big Bang. Current thinking is that these big guys built up their enormous masses over time, but these new observations are showing they are already very large at a point in the early universe where they wouldn't have had enough time to grow that large. So maybe they are formed very large - or they are growing very rapidly, or something else. And we don't yet know how that is possible!

Reactions: IG2007

IG2007

That we are finding massive super massive black holes very shortly after the Big Bang. Current thinking is that these big guys built up their enormous masses over time, but these new observations are showing they are already very large at a point in the early universe where they wouldn't have had enough time to grow that large. So maybe they are formed very large - or they are growing very rapidly, or something else. And we don't yet know how that is possible!
Are you talking about primordial blackholes?

DrJoePesce

Verified Expert
Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
No - these are supermassive black holes: hundreds of millions of solar masses. Where we see these objects (in time) is too soon after the Big Bang for them to grow so big (in the ways we think they grow). So this argues for them being formed very large - but that is difficult too (maybe)....

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I actually once upon a time I wanted to review science fiction writers as part of consciousness into a past life and in fact they never actually made anything up just remember something about the past of future

May 8, 2020
Visit site
if it is hard to understand the big bang think about it like it was actually a fizz fizz then a bang. or that there has been millions of big bangs and we have just began to understanding how we came into being not so much being itself.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
if it is hard to understand the big bang think about it like it was actually a fizz fizz then a bang. or that there has been millions of big bangs and we have just began to understanding how we came into being not so much being itself.
I have made it clear on my position.
I favour the ∞ model with the nexus being a smooth passage and not some ridiculous (IMO) point of nothing containing everything. Euchhh.

No - these are supermassive black holes: hundreds of millions of solar masses. Where we see these objects (in time) is too soon after the Big Bang for them to grow so big (in the ways we think they grow). So this argues for them being formed very large - but that is difficult too (maybe)....

Looks like more evidence for Primordial Black Holes (PBHs), a postulate that has some professional adherents, if I am not mistaken* (and am not). As it turns out, at least one biochemist is also a true believer!

That these SMBHs are found so soon after the BB suggests that there could be many others, all of varying mass.

One has to wonder what the current lower mass "limit of detection" is for such early BHs?

But these big ones certainly sound prime for the formation of the first galaxies. It certainly makes for a much simpler story, which everyone always likes, but is not always right.

Come on, we are talking about the BB - where anything can happen, right?!

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primordial_black_hole

IG2007

I agree with Catastrophe on the Nexus Big Bang Model. I guess Primordial Blackholes were formed due to varying randomness of distribution of mass across the universe and as the space was less then than now, mass was concentrated in small areas. Maybe, that had led to the building of PBHs.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
ok here is my view to all of this black hole stuff. the universe are actually deposited by larger creatures they leave their young in the universe and the black holes feed until they are larger and can leave. where our universe is has a bed like a nest and in this crater is 6 universes each universe contains multiple black holes. externals to the nest area there are many nests. these larger creatures seem to gather on a nearby sun orange there is also a blue sun and one white sun. these energies also are directly a major part of all matter energy actions on earth. so looking at the big picture helps me with the views and discussions in a single universe.

Latest posts