When black holes eat black holes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmeyer

...what happens to the energy within the black hole that is being torn apart? Could this create a massive blast, or would they mold into each other to simply form a larger black hole?<br /><br />Could they bounce off each other creating a shockwave throughout space causing galaxies to move away from each other at different speeds?<br /><br />I think of marbles (galaxies) on the ground encircling a pair of spinning tops (black holes.) Imagine the tops colliding. Regardless of their size and velocity, they will knock into each other, and result in one of the tops (or both) to change direction and likely effect the positioning of said marbles.<br /><br />Could this produce a cosmic glue (dark energy) that is exclusive to its own galaxy? That could make dark energy territorial. <br /><br />Also, I've seen pictures, or at least interpretations, of a black hole feeding off a red giant. Is this how one black hole could feed from another? One would think the velocity involved would throw pent up energy(?) in all directions. Would it be a massive quasar release?<br /><br />Also, if it takes x amount of time for a black hole to devour something like a red giant, how long would it take in comparison to devour another black hole?<br /><br />Would/could light make a dash for the door and finally escape, or have the photons been disassembled in some bizarre fashion? If so, do you think photons can regroup?<br /><br />Just curious.<br /><br />

B

bobw

http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/%7Emours/audio.html<br /><br />This website has the sound LIGO would find from the gravity waves of two coalescing neutrons stars, and later on the page the sound from two 10 solar mass black holes. There's quite a difference. It doesn't sound like a blast, more like something going down the drain.<br /><br />I think I put the wrong link. This one works.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nexium

My guess is very little bounce. The results change conciderably from a glancing blow to a head on collision and the speed, mass and direction make some difference especialy for the glancing blow. Head on has low probability. In some senarios, I picture a third black hole being formed by the collision, and a very long time (million times a million years?)elapsing before merger. The black holes orbit each other after the glancing blow. The energy release of a super nova is possible, but somewhat less is typical, but with a very high, but brief energy peak, perhaps somewhat like a gamma ray burster, but likely a different signature. Likely much less energy escapes if they merge in seconds. Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts