Who is the sexiest person in WRITTEN sci fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

priusguy

I think this is a more interesting question than the other thread, because you have to go by description and personality rather than looks. As a straight male* I would limit my selection to women. With that caveat, my choice is Lizard Tirelli from Gerrold's <i>War Against Chtorr</i> series.<br /><br />*In the books, Lizard's lover and eventually husband Jim McCarthy is bi. Should any bisexual man agree with my choice, I would feel especially vindicated.

O

ordinary_guy

It's been a while since I've had the luxury of reading SciFi, but from what I remember, Robert Heinlein's "Friday" had a certain sexy something... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px"><strong>Mere precedent is a dangerous source of authority.</strong></p> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px">-Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)</p> </div>

V

vogon13

KILGORE TROUT!<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

D

dougdegraw

<font color="yellow">but from what I remember, Robert Heinlein's "Friday" had a certain sexy something... </font><br /><br />Could it be because she had the habit of having sex with anyone, male or female, at the drop of a hat --- any hat.<br /><br />

D

dougdegraw

Also Heinlein's Maureen Long was a loose and free spirit in regards to "healthy exercise" between consenting adults with little regard to who the adults are or how many adults at any particular time.-

D

dougdegraw

Then there was also Heinlein's -<br /><br />Hazel Stone {The Cat Who Walks Through Walls}<br />Lapis Lazuli Long (Laz) & Lorelei Lee Long (Lor) {Time Enough For Love}<br />... {Who can argue with red-headed twins with all the morals of alley cats}<br />Wyoming Knott {The Moon is a Harsh Mistress} {Wy Knott}<br /><br />or any of a hundred of his female leads and supporting cast<br /><br />Heinlein is a perv, but he's my kind of perv.

C

CalliArcale

That is an interesting question. I confess I seldom read the books with that sort of thing in mind, but if I have to think of some sexy fictional characters....<br /><br />R. A. MacAvoy wrote several books with sexy characters in them. Ruari MacEibhir, a pooka whose alternate form was a stallion, would definitely qualify. And then there was Damiano Delstrego, who featured in three of her books, not to mention the archangel Raphael who is his good friend in all three books. (The books are "Damiano", "Damiano's Lute", and "Raphael". It's a deft cross between historical fiction and fantasy, set in Renaissance Italy/France -- the <i>langue d'oc</i> regions, basically.) Wonderful books in their own right, and fascinating from a historical perspective. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

priusguy

I always found Heinlein's female characters totally unrealistic. Friday is not a woman, she is a man. Part of the appeal of Lizard Tirelli to me is that she <i>doesn't</i> screw everything that comes her way; she acts the way women really do*. As my wife says "Women need a reason to have sex. Men only need a place."<br /><br />*Okay, Lizard is not a <i>typical</i> woman. She is a hot-shot combat pilot. But she has very real and realistic feelings.

Y

yevaud

Cordelia Naismith.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

N

neonmosfet

I always kind of identified with Lois Fletcher.<br /><br />

J

jmilsom

Yes. I was quite perturbed after reading the chapter "narcissism" in <i>Time Enough for Love</i>. If my memory serves me correctly, the lead character makes two female clones of himself for fun times. Given that most of Heinlein's characters are red headed self extension fantasies of the author himself, this turned me off any attraction to his fictional characters.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

dougdegraw

<font color="yellow">If my memory serves me correctly, the lead character makes two female clones of himself for fun times.</font><br /><br />T'aint how it happened.<br /><br />The lead character, Lazarus Long, is the oldest living person {~2,000 years old} and part of an organization, the Howard families, whose goal is to extend human life through breeding and genetics. After disappearing for many years and finally ready to die, the leader of the Families and one of his countless decendants, Ira Weatheral, finds him and puts him through rejuvination against his will. Eventually his is brought around to lending his "wisdom" to help with the new set of problems the leader of the families faces. <br /><br />During the process, because of the value placed on Lazarus's unusual genetics - the Chief of the Rejuve Clinic, Ishtar, and the daughter of Ira, Hamadryad, both "kidnap" some of Lazarus's genetic material become host mothers to clones of Lazarus. Their science has gone far enough that perfect clones are easily made and are a common practice to have a few clones in suspended animation to replace body parts or even whole bodies. Genetic tinkering is also easy enough that they both decide to have girl versions of him due to an earlier conversation.<br /><br />So in the end, these two genetic twin clones, Laz and Lor, are sprung on him and he takes over raising and caring for them. Since they already have his genetic dispositions and now are enviromentally reinforced by his unusual guidance, they turn out more like him than he is. ie intelligent, irrascible, headstrong and completely amoral. Now when he decides to try a dangerous mission testing the "new" technology of time travel, every woman in the families including Laz and Lor are trying to trip him up and get pregnant by him in order to preserve his genetics, as is custom in their society, and because they love him.

T

the_masked_squiggy

For a detour from Heinlein, I suggest the charater The Journalist from Starship Titanic.<br /><br />(Yes, I know it reads like a text adventure. It's still funny as hell.)

S

silylene old

Teela Brown..... and the practice of "rishathra". <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

T

tomnackid

Well, Friday had a horrible childhood with no family to speak of and is very insecure. At the beginning of the story she feels deep down inside that she is not a real human and no one could really love her so she contents herself with having whatever fun she can. <br /><br />Hazel on the other hand has more family life than most people could handle! (She first appears as the matriarchal grandmother in "The Rolling Stones"). She definitely would not sleep with just anyone and I would pity the man who tried to make unwanted advances towards her.

V

vogon13

I thought surely by now I would have received a comment or two on the Kilgore Trout thing . . . . . . . <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

R

rainofsteel

---------------------------------------<br /><br />Characters<br /> Heart (the Terran Inheritance)<br /> Honor Harrington<br /> Heris Serrano<br /> Mavra Chang (the Saga of the Well World) <br /> Sarah (Hardwired)<br /> Andre Cross (Timewars)<br /> Angelina diGriz<br /> Alita/Yoko (Gally)<br /> Nausicaa<br /> Friday (Heinlein)<br /><br /><br />---------------------------------------<br />And, I'll throw in some Fantasy Characters, too.<br /><br /> Paksennarion Dorthansdotter<br /> Arwyn<br /> Eowyn<br /> Cawti<br /> Aliera e'Kieron<br /> Polgara<br /> The Margravine Liselle<br /><br />---------------------------------------<br /><br />I should be able to think of many more than this, but I can't right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.