Why are Hubble pix square now, not irregular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B_Cary

I'm sorry if this has been asked recently--this forum is so large that I gave up looking for another post!

My poster of the original Hubble Deep Field has one edge like a stairstep. Pictures of the Ultra-Deep Field(s) are square. Is someone artistically cropping the pictures? If so, I want the extra galaxies back! Or are they really coming out square now? Why? (The mirror still has the original error, as far as I know.)

Many thanks!

M

MeteorWayne

During the time when the original defective mirror was being corrected by a set of lenses (actually mirrors) part of the field was not available.

We are now two repair/improvement missions past that, so let's just enjoy the view, and the bandwidth we have now! )

S

SpaceTas

The old wide field planetary camera (WFPiC 2) consisted of 2 sets of CCD's, the outside 3 chips had larger pixels than the inner square. These made up the staircase. This camera was replaced in the last servicing mission. The new camera has 2 sets rectangular chips one for the UV+ Visible and the other IR. There is also the ACS a survey ccd camera, also rectangular.

Status
Not open for further replies.