Why does space x waste time and money with landable boosters

Dec 6, 2020
These silly landable boosters reduce top speed and or payload and no matter what Musk says they are not less expensive as they cost 5 to 10 times more to build and need fuel to land that has weight which impacts the mission.

So why?

Dec 9, 2020
These silly landable boosters reduce top speed and or payload and no matter what Musk says they are not less expensive as they cost 5 to 10 times more to build and need fuel to land that has weight which impacts the mission.

So why?
I'd suspect your analysis is wrong, where do you get your numbers from?

The fuel used to land is kept to a minimum so the impact of extra fuel is minimal and minimized. Thurst to weight ratio isn't an issue as is demonstrated by the fact they throttle down before the stresses on the rocket are too great.

Reuse is key, it's why almost everyone is pursuing it

Dec 22, 2020
It will be great if rocket had some catalytic converter to create fuel, as it landed or possibly take off, from atmosphere (H2, O2, CO2, and H2O)

Feb 18, 2021
I'd suspect your analysis is wrong, where do you get your numbers from?

The fuel used to land is kept to a minimum so the impact of extra fuel is minimal and minimized. Thurst to weight ratio isn't an issue as is demonstrated by the fact they throttle down before the stresses on the rocket are too great.

Reuse is key, it's why almost everyone is pursuing it
They are cutting too many corners why havnt they got any counter measures in place for when malfunction occurs

I personally would have had all the raptor engines on detachable links or an interchangeable belt with a backup centre above the 3 so it doesn't effect balance and weight as much as its in the center of craft

And do the flip a bit higher to allows counter measures to take place

The method they use to centre craft out before flip could of worked to correct sn9 if it had 2 thrusters on adjacent sides and boost to correct balance on over swing

I dont know why it dont just land like a plane and use crane to stand it up again

Reusable and wings could be folding into body and come out on landing

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts