Why is our universe assymetrical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alanstrange1

<p>Greetings this is my first post</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Why is the universe assymetrical instead of what it should be according to physics?. The big bang produced equal quantities of matter and antimatter that should have collided and converted the lot into pure radiant energy in the form of Gamma rays</p><p>This did not happen , luckily for us but has an explaination for this ever been found?</p><p>Alan</p>

V

vogon13

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>How is the universe assymetrical ??</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Is there a hill west of your house and a lake to the east ??</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

C

centsworth_II

<p><font color="#333399"><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The big bang produced equal quantities of matter and antimatter...<br /> Posted by alanstrange1</DIV></font></p><p>This assumption is not correct according to <font color="#000000">"the favored explanation" referred to in the abstract below.&nbsp; It doesn't look like there is an answer to your question... yet.&nbsp; But there have been experimental results in particle physics that indicate potential asymmetries in the basic physical laws that ruled the big bang.&nbsp; Maybe results of LHC experiments will bring us closer to understanding.&nbsp; </font></p><table border="0"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top"><p>&nbsp; </p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Greetings this is my first post&nbsp;Why is the universe assymetrical instead of what it should be according to physics?. The big bang produced equal quantities of matter and antimatter that should have collided and converted the lot into pure radiant energy in the form of Gamma raysThis did not happen , luckily for us but has an explaination for this ever been found?Alan <br />Posted by alanstrange1</DIV><br /><br />Welcome to Space.com and great question.</p><p>As centsworth_II said, we don't really know the answer. We have some clues, but not enough to provide a firm answer. It appears that the decay rate for matter and antimatter may be different in our Universe, but that question is being examined by those at the forefront of high energy physics. Hopefully, when the LHC comes back online in the spring, we will get some more information to digest.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

SpeedFreek

Perhaps nothing can ever be <em>exactly</em> equal? <em>(except in mathematics)</em> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000">_______________________________________________<br /></font><font size="2"><em>SpeedFreek</em></font> </p> </div>

D

dragon04

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Welcome to Space.com and great question.As centsworth_II said, we don't really know the answer. We have some clues, but not enough to provide a firm answer. It appears that the decay rate for matter and antimatter may be different in our Universe, but that question is being examined by those at the forefront of high energy physics. Hopefully, when the LHC comes back online in the spring, we will get some more information to digest. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>One could also guess that the effects of gravity between bodies of inequal masses and subsequent "supermasses" have something to do with it as well. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>One could also guess that the effects of gravity between bodies of inequal masses and subsequent "supermasses" have something to do with it as well. <br />Posted by dragon04</DIV><br /><br />I have seen nothing in the Standard Model that would suggest that gravity has anything to do with the matter/antimatter asymmetry. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

R

robnissen

<font size="3">Perhaps slightly off-topic and I may be showing my ignorance here, but is there any possibility that Quasars are actually matter/anti-matter annilihation?</font>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Perhaps slightly off-topic and I may be showing my ignorance here, but is there any possibility that Quasars are actually matter/anti-matter annilihation? <br />Posted by robnissen</DIV><br /><br />No. Matter antimatter annihilation produces radiation of a specific energy. Quasars are super hot emitters that radiate energy of a continuum over a wide spectral range. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.