Why is space travel SOOOO expensive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocketman5000

interestingly enough in the discussion on NASA and the public domain Spacedaily ran an article on the privitization of VASIMR today <br /><br /> link

C

CalliArcale

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>This was also done earlier in history. I mean, lots of NASA original technology is found in todays cars, planes, computers, materials. So I really don't see the reason why NASA shouldn't seel their technology, but for a proper money.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />NASA didn't sell that technology, though. They are prevented by law from doing so, because they would undoubtedly enjoy an unfair advantage in the marketplace. If you don't like that, write your congressperson, but frankly, I don't think we should change that. Sure, NASA could do a lot better if it could run itself as a commercial outfit AND have enormous government funding. But it would be ruinious to private corporations trying to get into the business of commercial spaceflight. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

F

freeshark

I agree that it COULD be detrimental to certain industries if Nasa were to go Commercial. <br /><br />But right now THERE IS NO space industry! At least not a substantial one. <br /><br />The costs are too great. <br /><br />I still can't find where to GET NASA technology for free if they don't sell it.<br /><br />That is a LOT of tax money that goes in to projects that can be funded another way.<br /><br />Dave

M

mattblack

It'll always be cheaper than waging war. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<b>I agree that it COULD be detrimental to certain industries if Nasa were to go Commercial.</b><br /><br />Which industries? The space industry. The very industry you want to enhance. Having NASA go commercial is not only unprecedented in history, it is unprecedented for a very good reason. If you want to see what happens when major industries are operated by the government, look at the history of space in the Soviet Union. It's a tale of warring factions within the industry, all of whom are beholden to specific members of the politburo. As such, which design bureau is currently funding is almost entirely dependent on which one has sponsors who are currently in power. This was a major factor in their losing the space race. Chelomei and Korolev both had visions that could've gotten them to the Moon, but the vagaries of politics meant that neither was allowed to focus on it long enough.<br /><br /><b>But right now THERE IS NO space industry! At least not a substantial one.</b><br /><br />I'm sure Boeing, Lockheed, Northrup Grumman, Orbital Sciences, DirectTV, etc are all just thrilled to know how much confidence you have in them. The majority of commercial space work at present is commsats. Unfortunately, that meant the industry was highly affected by the telecommunications bubble of the last decade. Case in point: Iridium. But it's climbing back. Sirius Satellite and XM Radio are pioneering a very interesting (and surprisingly successful, at least to me) new use of space. And the average citizen is becoming downright dependent on the GPS system.<br /><br /><b>The costs are too great.</b><br /><br />Making NASA a commercial competitor won't help that. In fact, it'll make that worse. The laws of supply and demand will affect it. If Ball Aerospace will pay $150,000 for a spacecraft controller, and NASA will pay $200,000, you can guess how much that controller is going to sell for. This is why government agencies should not be allowed to compete on the open mark <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.