Why no interest in the Indian moon launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asj2006

<p>It's almost time for the launch, and yet there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in it in this forum?</p><p>&nbsp;I also note most of the coverage of this launch is in the Indian media, nothing mostly from other countries.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>------------------------------------------- </p><p>"Breathe. This is like most of the choices you have in life. <br />You know inside whether it's right. <br />Whether you do it is up to you." </p><p>From the Tao of Willie Nelson</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It's almost time for the launch, and yet there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in it in this forum?&nbsp;I also note most of the coverage of this launch is in the Indian media, nothing mostly from other countries. <br />Posted by asj2006</DIV><br /><br />That might explain it. There is very little coverage. Have you got a link for live updates? I know I'd be happy to watch!</p><p>The last post in the thread was yours from 7 days ago. If this is something you want us to pay attention to, give us some updates! That's the good thing about SDC, many different sets of eyes keeping up on many things. There are a lot of other active missions, and I'm eye deep in the Orionids right now, so have very little time to post.</p><p>Since you are paying close attention, make an effort to keep us informed; we will appreciate it.</p><p>Wayne</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

anthmartian

<p>I agree Wayne. These days we have many things to follow, not so long ago a mission like this would have had the lime light all to its self. It is sharing the stage now with many other umnanned probes out in the solar system, two of them at the Moon already.</p><p>However, i am very keen on following this mission, and i hope people get behind it, i also hope it gives the Indian people a great deal of pride, and a place at the table regarding technological industries, this can only be a good thing for their economy and the future of India. For all those negative people who say "how can India afford this? How can they justify" blah blah, well $80 million, is not a lot for a mission such as this, also it has partners, the U.S, and ESA, plus i believe Bulgaria has an instrument on board. I believe the cost will be outwayed by the prestige gained for their country and its industry, and it people.</p><p>The NASA instrument onboard is particularly exciting if i remember it will search for ice deposits?</p><p>I am off to read up on it all now. Thanks for jogging my memory of this mission.</p>Youtube feature<br /><br />CNN Article<br /><br />Animation of mission<br /><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em>"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"</em></font></p><p><font color="#33cccc"><strong>Han Solo - 1977 - A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....</strong></font></p><p><br /><br />Click Here And jump over to my site.<br /></p> </div>

E

efron_24

<p>It was all over CNN international and on Dutch TV</p><p>so enough interest</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It was all over CNN international and on Dutch TVso enough interest <br />Posted by efron_24</DIV><br /><br />Which really doesn't help us much here in the USA. Remember we are 2 weeks away from the Presidential election. 80% of the news concerns that subject. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

trailrider

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It's almost time for the launch, and yet there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in it in this forum?&nbsp;I also note most of the coverage of this launch is in the Indian media, nothing mostly from other countries. <br />Posted by asj2006</DIV></p><p>Of course I'm interested! But, as others have posted, I only know what I read on this forum!&nbsp; India's space program doesn't seem to be generating much comment from NASA's "head shed" either!&nbsp;As MeteorWayne said, we are just a few weeks away from the most important Presidential election in probably 40 or more years! There is a STRONG question in my mind as to whether we will have much of a space program once the new Congress and the new President, whoever it is, take office and start dealing with our economic problems.</p><p>Since the U.S. won't have funds to do everything we'd like to in space, it is fortunate that we can take advantage of whatever scientific data can be obtained by India, Japan, and even China if they will share their data with us!</p><p>Ad LEO! Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra!</p>

S

sssalvi

<p>From what we see in this forum there is sufficient interest and attention to Indian Chandrayaan mission.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Unfortunately&nbsp; ISRO does not provide much info&nbsp; and whatever it provides is&nbsp; scant and late.&nbsp; People have to depend on news channels for the latest. ( Althogh I am ex-ISRO I had to keep abreast with the latest info from other forums&nbsp; like nasaspaceflight&nbsp; and&nbsp; bharat-rakshak. )</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I had given details of this mission earlier in this forum but later the thread died down ...&nbsp;&nbsp; I also did not persue it continuously and failed to keep it updated.</p>

L

l3p3r

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It's almost time for the launch, and yet there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in it in this forum?&nbsp;I also note most of the coverage of this launch is in the Indian media, nothing mostly from other countries. <br /> Posted by asj2006</DIV><br />Emily was keeping track of it over at the planetary society blog, but somehow I forgot to even look here until now!</p><p>http://www.planetary.org/blog/</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Congratulations to India! Space has been VERY exciting these last few months!!! </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><font size="2">Chandrayaan launched successfully.</font></p><p>Good BBC summary </p><p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><span style="font-size:12pt"><font color="#800080">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7679818.stm</font> </span></font></p><p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></p><p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><span style="font-size:12pt">This is a great international mission with many experiments from the US and Europe as well as India.</span></font></p><p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></p><p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><span style="font-size:12pt">It is the 109th lunar mission launched, including Apollo misssions and Zond test flights.</span></font></p><p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></p><p style="margin:0cm0cm0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"><span style="font-size:12pt">Jon</span></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

A

alokmohan

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Chandrayaan launched successfully.Good BBC summary http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7679818.stm This is a great international mission with many experiments from the US and Europe as well as India.It is the 109th lunar mission launched, including Apollo misssions and Zond test flights.Jon <br />Posted by jonclarke</DIV><br /><br />After a successful maneuver early today (October 26, 2008), the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft has crossed the 150,000 km distance mark from <font color="#467aa7">Earth</font>, officially entering deep space, on course for <font color="#467aa7">the moon</font>. This was the third orbit raising maneuver of the mission. The spacecraft&rsquo;s 440 Newton liquid engine was fired for about nine and a half minutes, beginning at 07:08 IST. With this, Chandrayaan-1 entered a much higher elliptical orbit around the Earth. The apogee (farthest point from Earth) of this orbit lies at 164,600 km while the perigee (nearest point from Earth) is at 348 km. In this orbit, Chandrayaan-1 takes about 73 hours to go round the Earth once.<br /><br />To compare, Chandrayaan's initial orbit had a perigee of 255 km and an apogee of 22,860 km, with about a 6.5-hour period. After the second boost from its engines, Chandrayaan

A

alokmohan

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>After a successful maneuver early today (October 26, 2008), the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft has crossed the 150,0The earth orbit of India's first lunar spacecraft will be raised to 267,000 km on Wednesday, an official here said. <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="left" style="margin-top:6px;margin-right:6px"><tbody><tr><td id="bellyad">

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>9Economic&nbsp; times <br />Posted by alokmohan</DIV></p><p>Thank you for the updates. Everything is looking very good.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts