Why the Moon, Mars and Beyond? It is a Matter of Surviving -

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TC_sc

Re: Why learn how to write? It is a Matter of Surviving -

MasterComposter":2sc6f0rs said:
TC_sc":2sc6f0rs said:
I really hope you of all people aren't correcting grammar.

Pointing out grammar errors in a forum post is silly. But grammar errors in a published article seems like fair game --- it goes to the credibiltiy of the writers, editors and publishers if they are printing that many errors in one piece.

I wouldn't call something posted on the web as being publish. I have also read many novels with grammatical errors. Even the best of editors miss sometimes. I think we are better off here debating the issues and not the spelling.

M

MasterComposter

Re: Why learn how to write? It is a Matter of Surviving -

TC_sc":gksfqspq said:
I wouldn't call something posted on the web as being publish. I have also read many novels with grammatical errors. Even the best of editors miss sometimes. I think we are better off here debating the issues and not the spelling.

Yes, I agree, the Woodward Report can hardly be considered professional.

But I also agree about debating spelling in general --- I make spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes all the time in my forum posts. (But never in my published pieces!)

Z

ZenGalacticore

EPGrondine":1eui6fxr said:
Hi Dan -

I'm new to this forum myself, and just getting the lay of the land.

On the topic of why? space you are absolutely nuts on. Very few people have any idea how bad the impact hazard really is.

E.P. Grondine
http://manandimpactsintheamericas.blogspot.com/

You might be waiting a while for Lieutenant Dan to respond, he came and went in a few hours or so. Apparently, he can't stand the idea of anybody disagreeing with him. It's a liberal conspiracy, that's the only reason someone would disagree with Lt. Dahyan. What a cop-out.

But since you're here, why don't you educate us on "how bad the impact hazard really is", in your own words, instead of leaving a link and running off.

A

abq_farside

What a funny thread. I loved the way the OP weaved political thought into it the piece while at the same time getting upset when people rejected those thoughts.

"If you don't agree with me then I am going home." :roll:

Z

ZenGalacticore

abq_farside":1vagds3j said:
What a funny thread. I loved the way the OP weaved political thought into it the piece while at the same time getting upset when people rejected those thoughts.

"If you don't agree with me then I am going home." :roll:

Isn't it though? I still can't figure out how the issue of abortion got thrown into a post about why we should press on into space no-holds-barred. And it's a liberal conspiracy retarding our space efforts, no less.

"Lt. Dan" :lol:

V

vladdrac

There are a number of natural phenomenon which threaten to make the terrestrial biosphere extinct. Not one of them could not be defeated if humans have the proper technology. Whats that nasty problem with carbon fiber 'cables' that prevents the 'Space Elevator' from being real? Is it a problem that cant be solved. Is it impossible to get flawless fillaments? or have not enough of the best materials researchers and equipment , been braught together?

M

MannyPim

vladdrac":14jmkzca said:
There are a number of natural phenomenon which threaten to make the terrestrial biosphere extinct. Not one of them could not be defeated if humans have the proper technology. Whats that nasty problem with carbon fiber 'cables' that prevents the 'Space Elevator' from being real? Is it a problem that cant be solved. Is it impossible to get flawless fillaments? or have not enough of the best materials researchers and equipment , been braught together?

The problem with CNTs is that they require nanoscale precision manufacturing methods at megascale industrial production volumes. The CNT manufacturing methodologies are currently very crude.... but we are making steady and dramatic progress .... As far as the amount of research being done in the field, there is an enormous amount of it going on all over the world.... CNTs have so many applications that the commercial opportunities are virtually unlimited... As with any given technology, the rate of progress has some positive correlation with the resources devoted to the research area.... but, as I said, there is a great deal of it already taking place.

K

Kerberos

Do Grammar Nazis really look like that? I may need some correction.

M

mental_avenger

Danny_Clay":v3x72kdr said:
Looks like I need to look elsewhere for folks who care about going to the moon, Mars and beyond.
Is there anyone on this forum that is not ready to jump on anyone that offers up something they do not agree with?
Now, where in the world would you get that idea when I have had such a warm welcome here?
I have learned my lesson. I have had success posting at other sites where both sides are allowed, I shall stick with them and tell any and all unless you are liberal to the core, keep away from Space.Com
Your abrasive comments and confrontational attitude have determined your treatment here. With such comments as:
”What does one say to another who has a totally closed mind on any scientific evidence or findings? Not much. Not much at all.
If you bait the trap with the correct bait, the vermin will come.
Oh well, you can lead someone who is ignorant to knowledge, but you cannot make him think—“

right out of the gate you virtually insured that you would get negative responses.

Don’t sow sour seeds if you want sweet fruit.

Z

ZenGalacticore

yevaud":etqg7adh said:
I believe he will return.

You think so? :?

Hey y'all! This was one politically whacked out thread, and very amusing.

It's one of the most baffling and mystifying lines of reasoning that I've ever seen on the political board. And funny. Not just the OPs gig, but the whole transcript dialogue with the mods and everybody. It reads like a play, almost.

For those of you who may have missed it, I highly recommend it. Very entertaining.

A

andrew_t1000

I'll go out on a limb here and hold my hand up proudly as being SDC's resident right wing hippy, left wing redneck.
I enjoy the technical discussions here, but I do find some of the free space and political posts anything but liberal!
Some of these discussions get a tad "spirited" but this is the first time I've seen a "hissy fit" of such proportions!

As for the spelling issue, I am I the only person using Firefox?
Every time I make a spelling oopsy (like then!) Firefox underlines it in red for me, I just right click on the offending word and get the correct spelling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts