Will NASA become the largest potential customer of Bigelow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hk8900

After the successful launch of Bigelow Aerospace's Genesis-1 module, we can see that the development of Bigelow Spacestation is accelerating.<br />Remember that the idea of inflatable space habitat was the NASA transHab prog.<br />So, I am thinking that will NASA buy BA330 in the 2010s and attach one to the ISS?<br />NASA may also use the BA330s Beyond the ISS. Like using them in the VSE, this can provide NASA with lower cost alternatives.

P

PistolPete

Maby, maby not. NASA's got a lot of personal pride so I'm not gonna hold my breath. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

S

Swampcat

Check out Inside the Spaceship Factory.<br /><br />There is no mention of any specific uses by NASA of his modules, but there are some intriguing hints to some of the things he's working on that NASA has apparently shown interest in. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

J

josh_simonson

The senators from nevada would certainly pull for it.

B

Boris_Badenov

NASA will be a customer, but I doubt they will be the biggest. My guess is that a consortium of pharmaceutical companies will be the first to build a multi module station. Maybe NASA will let them tie into the ISS so they can hitch a ride for cheap. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

T

tomnackid

Maby, maby not. NASA's got a lot of personal pride so I'm not gonna hold my breath.<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />That makes no sense. NASA sold the rights to TransHab to Bigelow because he was willing to put up his own money to perfect the idea. NASA wants TansHab, NASA invented TransHab. Certainly they will use it once the idea is proven. NASA gets the technology without having to float the development costs and Bigelow gets to sell his modules to multiple customers.

D

docm

NASA has been working with Bigelow since 2004. If Bigelows stuff continues to work well I'd bet that NASA <b>wiil</b> use it where it's appropriate. <br /><br />http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2004/MERC-Jul-08-Thu-2004/24250261.html<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><b>The NASA turnaround</b><br /> /><br /> /><br /><b>Bigelow has not only buried the hatchet with the space agency, he finds himself in partnership with NASA. Bigelow Aerospace has signed three "Space Act Agreements" with NASA. These agreements provide for an ongoing exchange of personnel and technology, the joint testing of Bigelow projects at NASA facilities, and the transfer of NASA patents to Bigelow.</b><p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

P

publiusr

Bigelow, Gene Meyers, etc. are individuals who don't want to bash NASA like a lot of the other space-start-ups.<br /><br />Forrest Gump and his underpowered tSpace contraption (Corona on Steroids) is an example of the bad attitudes out there. Drop tests are one thing.<br /><br />Real success is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts