Will Obama keep Michael Griffin?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Posted by brandbll</DIV><br /><br />Good points all, but based on current technology it at least appears likely that some LEO assembly of a Mars landing craft will be required, since we couldn't launch enough mass to Mars from the surface. In the long run it will be a benefit, and I doubt a human Mars mission will take place in my lifetime. It will take us too long, and take too much money to do it in less than 25 years. Unless, of course, 10% of the "bailout" were given to NASA instead ....</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Were we planning on building a spacecraft closely identical to that of the ISS to send people to Mars?&nbsp;&nbsp;As i stated in my example, going to Mars and sitting in LEO for a few years are completely different accomplishments to strive to achieve.&nbsp; Your not going to be able to send up supply modules via Progress to a spacecraft that is cruising towards Mars, and from what i gather it would be difficult to do the same even for a Moon base.&nbsp;</DIV></p><p>of course not.&nbsp; But the basic systems technology will be the same.&nbsp; And without knowing how these can be kept functioning reliable for years on end in space and what the real logistic requirements are we aren't going go to Mars.&nbsp; There is no way this can be done without the ISS.</p><p>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>And regardless of the scientific output, the ISS has sucked the popularity out of the Space program and whether we like it or not it's the taxpayers we have to get on board for these things.&nbsp; Try going to Joe Schmoe off&nbsp; the street and ask him about the current space program.&nbsp; I am willing to bet 98% of the US population doesn't know jack squat about the ISS.&nbsp; Hell i bet a very large majority doesn't even know the name "ISS" or what it even stands for.&nbsp; Exploration gets people excited, and the ISS is simply a scientific workshop, not a vehicle for exploration.&nbsp; "The People" don't care about the ISS, and politcally that's a major problem.&nbsp; <br />Posted by brandbll</DIV></p><p>You can't run a space program on gusts of popular support.&nbsp; Long term all that can be expected from the public is non-hostility.&nbsp; Ask "Joe Schmoe" what they know about the billions that get spend on polar or ocean research and he couldn't tell you either.&nbsp; But those billions are spent because those programs are considered worthwhile.&nbsp; Space is about achieving long-term policy goals, not bread and circuses.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts