William Shatner wants the US Space Force ranks to use captains, not colonels

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Let me preface this by mentioning that I am seriously biased, as I am a Navy vet.

If the discussion is ranks in the Space Force, I would propose that the naming convention be a bit of a hybridization of USN and USAF. The O's should follow the Navy's structure, and enlisted should follow the AF's.
One caveat to that statement, "Spacer" should replace the "Airman" moniker for the junior enlisted.

Nov 17, 2019
Visit site
Will the name change the mission? If it does, then by all means lets all get together and make it a proper one. But if it does not, why is a real Space Force being questioned by a make-believe one? I understand that many peoples interest in space was sparked in thier early years by a great epic story or two. But now that we have all grown up, do we want to still live in that primitive fantasy world of illusion, or are we truly ready to boldly go where we have not gone before?

why is a real Space Force being questioned by a make-believe one? I understand that many peoples interest in space was sparked in thier early years by a great epic story or two. But now that we have all grown up, do we want to still live in that primitive fantasy world of illusion, or are we truly ready to boldly go where we have not gone before?

Maybe because the make-believe one and others like it inspired and predicted much of what we are doing now. Or maybe just because all ships should have a captain, as has been traditional in both the real world and the make-believe ones.

Reactions: terranape
Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Popular culture has contributed and shaped the dreams to come true as science fiction becomes reality. We cannot dismiss the impact that people like Gene Roddenberry and Issac Asimov has had on contemporary culture and our dreams of what becomes reality. Just consider the flip phone, lasers, flat screen televisions. Do we laugh at their designs or celebrate them as technological breakthroughs? I agree with Cpt. Kirk. We need to dream more. Being realistic never got us in the air or to the moon. I think a captain commands a starship. Live long and prosper! Keep making dreams reality and you will also have the minds as well as the hearts of the people.

William Shatner wants U.S. Space Force to rename its colonels to captains.

William Shatner wants the US Space Force ranks to use captains, not colonels : Read more
Now is the chance to create a rational system of rank. Lieutenant Commander vs Commander, Lieutenant Colonel vs Colonel, Rear Admiral of the lower half vs Rear Admiral of the upper half. Silver and Gold historical accidents. Why not acknowledge in both ' O' and 'E' the bottem three levels equate entrant, apprentice, and journeyman. If one thinks it out the cycle of repeats again but with either technical in enlisted or leadership on officers. Then flag rank in officers or SNCOs enlisted. Warrants have a rational easy to scan system. Adapt something in the same fashion to those in grades below 7 and name it accordingly.

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
I wonder if a Space Force is a good idea. OK Space is used to spy satellites, but to have some sort on military presence in Space would - in my eyes - step up the level of military usage of space by all the Space faring nations.
I was hoping to keep space neutral...

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
I think they should follow Navy convention. A space force is more like a navy than it is like an air force. A navy, unlike other military forces, is based and operates in a vast hostile natural environment in which exposed humans cannot live or operate, which therefore requires its personnel to be based on (not merely operate in) enclosed protective mobile bases, called ships. In particular, a space force is like the submarine service; the biggest difference is that the pressure hull keeps pressure in, rather than out.

As for the need for a space force--necessity will rule. We need to be prepared for the necessity, but not contribute to creating it.

Last edited:

Latest posts