worm holes/black holes

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

figure8

Hm, this is a bit intimidating...

Hello. My understanding of "wormhole" is a portal link between two (or more) non-linear or otherwise non-progressionary (if that's a word) space/time locations. I'd agree with wayne and/or wayne that, unfortunately, black holes collect substance rather than provide a "highway" for travel. It seems consistent that they would be magnetic in nature (drawing into itself) rather than emitting or electric. This might be where white holes come into play. My personal (non-PhD) opinion is if a white hole (electric) was paired up with a black hole (magnetic) -- like two counter-rotating, opposite-facing funnels or spirals like this > < -- then when they came together they would create the portal. Of course there would be more to it than that for space/time travel.

Y

yoyoma2

you could fly into a black hole and fly out........how I'm glad you asked. You can answer this yourself, by knowing who you are and what you are. Think about a bit you will need your physics cap on.

Break down knowing who you really are will help in understanding the answer. Hint: it is every where and it can't be distroyed only change from one form to another.

S

SpeedFreek

figure8":x1h1fhzc said:
Hm, this is a bit intimidating...

Hello. My understanding of "wormhole" is a portal link between two (or more) non-linear or otherwise non-progressionary (if that's a word) space/time locations. I'd agree with wayne and/or wayne that, unfortunately, black holes collect substance rather than provide a "highway" for travel. It seems consistent that they would be magnetic in nature (drawing into itself) rather than emitting or electric. This might be where white holes come into play. My personal (non-PhD) opinion is if a white hole (electric) was paired up with a black hole (magnetic) -- like two counter-rotating, opposite-facing funnels or spirals like this > < -- then when they came together they would create the portal. Of course there would be more to it than that for space/time travel.

Hi there and welcome to the SDC (space dot com) forums! :D

There is no need to be intimidated, but this particular SDC sub-forum (the physics forum) is for "Discussion about and insight into the subject of Physics and its theories". It is the place to discuss physics, and its theories, not the place to propose your own versions of a theory.

A wormhole, otherwise known as an Einstein-Rosen bridge, was proposed by Einstein and Rosen in the mid 1930's, based on a vacuum solution they found to Einsteins field equations of General Relativity, although the idea had already been proposed by Weyl in the 1920's as a result of his analysis of mass in terms of elecromagnetic field theory.

But in the 1960's, John Archibald Wheeler looked deeper into the solution and found that Einstein-Rosen wormholes were inherently unstable and would disappear as soon as they formed, before even a photon could pass through.

Then in the late 1980's Kip Thorne and Mike Morris came up with a solution that allowed a wormhole to be kept open using "exotic matter", which, whilst theoretically sound, relies on a us being able to manipulate a form of matter that we have not even discovered yet!

There have since been found solutions that don't require exotic matter, but rely on other theoretical concepts such as "cosmic strings" with negative mass.

I am unsure as to your meaning when you say black holes are magnetic and white holes are electric. Whilst electromagnetism is of course involved, the main issue here is gravity. Magnetism is not the reason that black holes attract matter that comes close to their event horizon.

S

SpeedFreek

yoyoma2":zwxwk7bq said:
you could fly into a black hole and fly out........how I'm glad you asked. You can answer this yourself, by knowing who you are and what you are. Think about a bit you will need your physics cap on.

Break down knowing who you really are will help in understanding the answer. Hint: it is every where and it can't be distroyed only change from one form to another.

I am made of matter (or energy), and matter cannot be destroyed, it can only change from one form to another. But that does not mean that matter or energy can "fly" into a black hole and "fly" out again. Once matter has fallen inside the event horizon of a black hole it cannot escape. You might be referring to Hawking radiation, where the black hole eventually evaporates, but the particles being emitted are coming from outside the event horizon, not inside. The particles emitted outside are one half of a pair of virtual particles, where the other half is an anti-particle and when that anti-particle crosses the event horizon it reduces the mass of the black hole. No information can escape. All the mass of the black hole may eventually find itself back in the universe again, but it is not the same mass as it was when it was trapped - there is a singularity - a discontinuity - in between.

So, you cannot simply say that something can fly into a black hole and fly out again.

F

figure8

Thank you, SpeedFreek, for your post. I am in the process of reading the "Unexplained" threads and will post speculations there.

I

InfoSpong

SpeedFreek":tw4vl6ue said:
yoyoma2":tw4vl6ue said:

I am made of matter (or energy), and matter cannot be destroyed, it can only change from one form to another. But that does not mean that matter or energy can "fly" into a black hole and "fly" out again. Once matter has fallen inside the event horizon of a black hole it cannot escape. You might be referring to Hawking radiation, where the black hole eventually evaporates, but the particles being emitted are coming from outside the event horizon, not inside. The particles emitted outside are one half of a pair of virtual particles, where the other half is an anti-particle and when that anti-particle crosses the event horizon it reduces the mass of the black hole. No information can escape. All the mass of the black hole may eventually find itself back in the universe again, but it is not the same mass as it was when it was trapped - there is a singularity - a discontinuity - in between.

So, you cannot simply say that something can fly into a black hole and fly out again.

Cant anti matter destroy matter?....Ive always wondered between the 2 matters if they become in harmony with one another, what would be the potential they have? They were at the first second od creation so they hold some importants together . Anyone can enlighten me on that?

M

Mee_n_Mac

InfoSpong":9mgojq80 said:
Cant anti matter destroy matter?....Ive always wondered between the 2 matters if they become in harmony with one another, what would be the potential they have? They were at the first second od creation so they hold some importants together . Anyone can enlighten me on that?

In the moments after the Big Bang, present theory holds that both matter and antimatter were created, though the Universe seems to have created a slight bit (1 more piece of matter for every 10+ million pieces of matter/antimatter) more matter than antimatter. When and wherever matter and antimatter meet they annihilate each other leaving behind only energy. When people talk about conservation of mass they really mean conservation of energy with mass having the equivalent energy given by that famous formula. Now if you ask why there seems to be more matter than antimatter ... we'll you've asked a good hard question. Nobody knows the answer and we'd think that they should have been created in equal amounts. Google CP symmetry (charge conjugation, parity) and you'll find more than I can explain to you.

V

vividasday

Mmphph...after all that - worm holes and black holes...ecosystems. Remember - we are a small , small part of the whole ;)

W

wolvieb

Isn't Singularity similar to what a black hole does? I'll admit I have not a clue as to what I'm talking about, but from what I'm gathering a black hole granted is massive, but it seems to me like it is striving for that Singularity. It has gravity, I'm assuming EM, SF, and WF. I'm just guessing but isn't that what singularity is all about? It is so dense not even light escapes, it pulls all matter into it.... Couldn't it more likely be called a Singular Celestial Object? (Came up with the name on the fly. :lol: )

R

ramparts

Saiph":1z1t1ddu said:
In the 'cold death' version of the end of the universe the universe keeps expanding. Everything is spun far from everything else. The only things close to eachother are gravitationally bound. You'll have cold dead planets around cold dead stellar cores from long dead suns. Black holes will be around, but slowly evaporating due to hawking radiation. The 'hot' gases will disperse to near zero concentrations as they spread out.

The black holes won't magically begin to absorb everything, nor eachother. They'll just drift through this graveyard of cold dispersed gas and rocky planets and dead stars.

Eventually protons will all decay, leaving the neutrons free, which will decay in about 20min if left alone. So normal matter just begins to dissappear, and black holes evaporate, the particles they slowly spew will also fade leaving....nothing but a cool faint wash of photons over an immense and empty universe.

Man, that's gonna suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts