Would it be possible to regulate Earth's EM field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pdxandrew

Has anyone ever tried to strengthen the Earth's magnetic field? Would copper cables at both magnetic poles have any surface effects. Could it be used to generate power for an oil rig platform? Is there any benefit to artificially shielding satellites from the sun's flares?

M

MeteorWayne

Why would you want to do that?<br />The earth's magnetic field protects us from solar flares, galactic rays, and energetic particles from the sun.<br /><br />The cost of creating a network that could have the slightest effect on this field created by the dynamo in the earth would be hundreds of trillions of dollars, with no guaranteed effect.<br />Money doesn't grow on trees, and it's not even reasonable to expect that it would work. (For good or bad)<br /><br />Where would you get the enrgy from to run such a system?<br /><br />Welcome to Space.com!!<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

dragon04

If nothing else, it's a matter of economics, as MW points out. <br /><br />I guess I need to understand WHY you'd want to strengthen Earth's electromagnetic field to begin with before I responded further. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

HAARP? Or whatever the wuwus claim HAARP is actually doing, that is. (Please Lord, don't let this lead to a Phenomenon thread...) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

P

pyoko

I think it's pretty easy to calculate how much energy a given size copper inductor would generate with the average movement of the magnetic field (it moves a few Km per year, or was that per day?) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

N

nexium

We are building some very high voltage power lines that run on direct current instead of ac. Data on the magnetic fields under the wires has likely been collected. My guess is Earth's magnetic field is frequetly haved or doubled up to a few meters from the wires. The electrostatic field is likely also impressive. Hopefully EM = rf photons are are not numerous. Neil

N

nec208

Would it be possible to regulate Earth's EM field<br />===================<br /><br />And what would the application be? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nec208

The earth's magnetic field protects us from solar flares, galactic rays, and energetic particles from the sun. <br /><br />==================<br />May be some want to destroy the earth?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nec208

I was just thinking of the poster may be trying to say all hypothesis because we do not know how to harness energy but some believe the ionosphere is electrically charged and we could harness this electricity or harness the electricity in lightning.<br /><br />I believe one lightning bolt would power a city like Toronto or LA for a year .<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts