Would it really have happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ascan1984

I remember reading in the amazing book A man on the moon that both Neil Armstrong and Pete Conrad were told if they faled to make a landing they would be put on the next available mission to try again. I was just wondering would this really have happened if a failed landing really did happen?

S

sorehed

I bet Jim Lovell wishes NASA had made that promise one more time.

S

subzero788

"I bet Jim Lovell wishes NASA had made that promise one more time."<br /><br />I don't know if he would have chosen to go again. After Apollo 13 Lovell retired from NASA. I'm sure he would have had another opportunity to go to the moon on a subsequent mission if he had wanted to, being the experienced astronaut that he was.

A

alonzofyfe

Yes.<br /><br />This promise was made for a reason. They did not want the astronauts to take any undue risk because failure would have sacrificed their opportunity to go to the moon. They did not want the astronaut to be afraid to hit the abort button.<br /><br />For this type of promise to have any value, it has to be genuine. So, assuming that the astronaut survived the abort, they would have certainly gone on the next flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts