Yes - it's "2012" the movie - and here's the trailer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

figure8

I was about to sign off for the night and saw your recent thread submission. I don't know anything about this film and will hold off on watching the trailer for as long as I can (movie freak that I am might not be able to resist going to see the film). It is either about planetary alignment disaster or an eclipse disaster... correct? Hm. Maybe I'll just watch the trailer. I am on imdb.com frequently and saw the actors are John Cusack and Amanda Peet.

M

MeteorWayne

LOL, pablum for the woo-woo crowd. Many will think it's a documentry :)

N

nimbus

Wow... what a waste of money.. Unless you look at it as another showcase of the CGI leading edge.. I bet he's got a 10 minute version of that white house steamroll scene on his director's cut, with "director's commentary" audio.

S

Smersh

figure8":3ae7zdp8 said:
... It is either about planetary alignment disaster or an eclipse disaster... correct? ...

I believe it's about that Mayan calendar thing saying the world will end on Dec 21st 2012. That's why I thought it would make a good tv Xmas movie for that year ... ;)

MeteorWayne":3ae7zdp8 said:
LOL, pablum for the woo-woo crowd. Many will think it's a documentry :)

Maybe it is. :lol:

S

Smersh

nimbus":ceo8o8hq said:
... I bet he's got a 10 minute version of that white house steamroll scene on his director's cut, with "director's commentary" audio.

To make any more money out of the director's cut version, it will need to go out before the "Armageddon" date. Will need to get his skates on to achieve that ...

F

figure8

This is the summary at imdb.com:

An epic adventure about a global cataclysm that brings an end to the world and tells of the heroic struggle of the survivors.

So there is indeed some sort of disaster. I guess it wouldn't be a blockbuster movie without one! No box office smash if it was about the Mayans' prophecy 12/21/12 "end of time" being the beginning of something mindbogglingly wonderful. Well, I'm a fantasy writer. Maybe I'll just write that one myself.

E

emudude

Great...a movie which will increase the frequency of these conversations:

"Yo man, 2012 the world is gonna, like, END yo!"

"What, what are you talking about? That Mayan calendar thing? What is the scientific basis of that anyways?"

"Yo what do you mean science, the religions have proved that it is going to happen man, you just wait!!!"

*heavy sigh*

S

Smersh

emudude":3f7bifh2 said:
Great...a movie which will increase the frequency of these conversations:

"Yo man, 2012 the world is gonna, like, END yo!"

"What, what are you talking about? That Mayan calendar thing? What is the scientific basis of that anyways?"

"Yo what do you mean science, the religions have proved that it is going to happen man, you just wait!!!"

*heavy sigh*

Absolutely. This movie will almost certainly increase the "WOW OMG WTF we're all headed for DISASTER!" factor tenfold right across the internet. And probably many new members starting threads about it in SS & A and ATA here and MeteorWayne having his work cut out shunting them all into the Unexplainable section ... ;)

Look on the bright side though - a lot of websites are going to have an awful lot of egg on their faces when it doesn't happen ... :lol:

M

MeteorWayne

LOL, that's for sure smersh..

I bet we'll have to just create a master 2012 thread pinned at the top of the Unexplained, and just merge all the new ones in. Should be quite a battle :)

At least with UFO's we have intelligent conversations from opposite sides of the fence. We keep each other on our toes.
:)

But this 2012 stuff is gonna be insane. And of course you know "THAT AUGUST MARS WILL BE AS BIG AS THE FULL MOON!!!"

:lol: :shock: :D

S

Smersh

MeteorWayne":u0bb925b said:
At least with UFO's we have intelligent conversations from opposite sides of the fence. We keep each other on our toes.
:)

Cheers! Yes, it's quite a challenge for Jim48 and myself to come up with stuff that can't be debunked ... ! ;)

MeteorWayne":u0bb925b said:
... But this 2012 stuff is gonna be insane. And of course you know "THAT AUGUST MARS WILL BE AS BIG AS THE FULL MOON!!!"

:lol: :shock: :D

Ah yes I saw something about that over on a woo-woo board somewhere a few weeks ago. Seems somebody has started a rumour somewhere saying it was going to happen but happily, several people posted to debunk it, so hopefully it'll go away. No doubt some have linked it with the whole 2012 / Mayan Calendar / Nibiru shebang though, so I guess we'd better stay alert for that ... :?

I should think the makers of this 2012 movie will become multi-gazillionaires once it's released. Somewhere in the trailer the words come up "Search '2012' for the truth." (Or something like that.) Pity they didn't put "at Space.com and BAUT" at the end ... ;)

:lol: :roll:

M

Mee_n_Mac

What's scary is that the director also predicts that by 2012 PETA will have huge political power. Who else would airlift a giraffe when the end of the world was imminent ?

What really bothers me is how many people are so ignorant that'll they buy into this kind of crap, the movie notwithstanding.

S

sdorot

Hey at least Keanu Reeves is not starring in this movie. Anyway, what's up with this heightened attention to this Mayan 2012 thing?

S

Smersh

sdorot":2war3wer said:
Hey at least Keanu Reeves is not starring in this movie. Anyway, what's up with this heightened attention to this Mayan 2012 thing?

Welcome to Space.com. :D

As far as this movie is concerned (and all the books, DVDs etc on the subject that have appeared so far) it seems to be about taking advantage of all the hysteria and making a whole lotta dosh in a hurry.

As far as people who actually believe this nonsense are concerned ... er ... dunno really I guess you'll have to ask them. :?

D

doublehelix

sdorot":3ex8eibe said:
Hey at least Keanu Reeves is not starring in this movie.

Yes, but Thandie Newton is, and that is a real pity. She always pays drama queens. I find her a total turnoff. Perhaps it's just par for the course for a movie like this. :lol:

-dh

F

figure8

I liked her in Manchurian Candidate, but that's due to the film more than her as an actor. No one could have truly ruined that role, or I should say no one could have ruined the film, all things being equal -- IMO.

I wonder if the actors in 2012 feel strongly about the premise. I know they're getting huge paychecks, but I'm curious about that.

P

PhantomMenace

The Mayans did not predict the end of the world. However, they did have a very interesting, complex, and accurate callender. They never seriously predicted the world would end in 2012, it is simply the date that marks the end of a 5000 year cycle on their callender. At this point in time the callender resets and begins a new age or something to that effect. They believed their moment of creation happened 5000 years ago, and thus they reset the calender around that time. It would be better translated as the beggining of a new age, not necessarily the end of the world. It is greatly misunderstood, as most of these "doomsday prophecy" stories are, but a quick look at some actual facts will tell a much different story tham what is being spread around. :roll:

*Although im pretty sure most of this info is still relevant, it has been a little while since i refreshed myself on this subject so correct me if i'm wrong! :oops:

J

JeffreyNYA

PhantomMenace":2tzc908d said:
The Mayans did not predict the end of the world. However, they did have a very interesting, complex, and accurate callender. They never seriously predicted the world would end in 2012, it is simply the date that marks the end of a 5000 year cycle on their callender. At this point in time the callender resets and begins a new age or something to that effect. They believed their moment of creation happened 5000 years ago, and thus they reset the calender around that time. It would be better translated as the beggining of a new age, not necessarily the end of the world. It is greatly misunderstood, as most of these "doomsday prophecy" stories are, but a quick look at some actual facts will tell a much different story tham what is being spread around. :roll:

*Although im pretty sure most of this info is still relevant, it has been a little while since i refreshed myself on this subject so correct me if i'm wrong! :oops:

Your wrong. We are all going to Die :shock:

P

PhantomMenace

JeffreyNYA":12p7u4oi said:
PhantomMenace":12p7u4oi said:

I thought so....crap :eek:

E

EdForteau

I see it as pure entertainment. I enjoyed The Day After Tomorrow, and will most likely see this movie too.

M

Mee_n_Mac

JeffreyNYA":t08tu74x said:

So it's time to party like it's 199 ... errr wait .... party like it's 2011 ... errr ... then we'd still have almost a whole year to wait ... party like it's December .... hmmmm too long to say. Aaahh crap, Prince is going to have a hard time writing a song for this "event".

:D

S

sdorot

Ok wait.. so legitimately though, "New Age"-- what would that mean? If it's not "end of the world", does it still mean something crazy that will change life as we know it?

S

Smersh

sdorot":2zw7mw76 said:
Ok wait.. so legitimately though, "New Age"-- what would that mean? If it's not "end of the world", does it still mean something crazy that will change life as we know it?

As I understand it, the "New Agers" do believe that the NWO / Illuminati / Freemasons / Bilderberg / Reptilian conspiracy will all cause some kind of new era to come in (or something like that, anyway.) I'm not exactly sure though how all that ties in with "2012 Doomsday" when the world will allegedly end anyway. It all seems to be quite a complicated and contradictory hypothesis, made up by people as they go along. It does keep the cash registers in book sales jingling along quite nicely though.

I do know one thing though - if nothing changes, things will stay the same. :?

M

MeteorWayne

Smersh":2dhxc8gc said:
I do know one thing though - if nothing changes, things will stay the same. :?

Of course the one thing that never changes is that things always change ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts