Yes - it's "2012" the movie - and here's the trailer ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonChapman

I've never really brought into the 2012 thing. I have seen the film trailer, and it looks like The Day After Tomorrow stepped up a few notches.

They say the ancients predicted something of great significance, the ending of man or the dawn of a new age. I doubt whether they predicted that Yellowstone would go up, and earthquakes and a giant tsunami was going to engulf the Himalayas like what the film is proposing. Let’s face it our best scientists cannot predict the next earthquakes let alone the end of the world.

The fact that they mention a specific date 21/21/2012 could mean one of two things either coming of ET or the return of a comet, and if it is a comet, then you’ll be able to see it somewhere in the sky approaching, especially if it’s a really big one, then it’s time to hire Brice Willis. My money is on ET hopefully. The world was supposed to have ended in 2000, but hey we’re all still here.

S

Smersh

MeteorWayne":3erku6bo said:
Smersh":3erku6bo said:
I do know one thing though - if nothing changes, things will stay the same. :?

Of course the one thing that never changes is that things always change ;)

Yikes! maybe the "New Agers are CORRECT then! :shock: ;)

JasonChapman":3erku6bo said:
... The world was supposed to have ended in 2000, but hey we’re all still here.

My earliest recollection of a Doomsday prediction was in the early sixties I think, when I was a wee lad in short trousers. Some bloke convinced a load of people that the Earth was going to tilt on its axis by several degrees and the only safe refuge in the world from the ensuing mega-tsunami flood was at the top of Mont Blanc. So they all climbed to the summit of Mont Blanc, a few hours before zero hour and ... erm ... nothing happened. (AFAIK that is, I think I read it in my Dad's Daily Mail or something.)

S

Shpaget

Thread necromancy? Is that something you eat?

Yesterday I went to cinema to see 2012, primarily because it's two and a half hours long so I thought at least I'd get a lot of whatever I was buying. Long story short: decent movie.

Warning: Here be spoilers and one very long sentence:
If you could somehow swallow the premise that after an especially large solar flair (which is, by the way, erupting on the plane perpendicular to the line between Earth and Sun) neutrinos can just "mutate" so they interact with Earth's core and suddenly start heating it up and that it all started in 2009 and lasts and intensifies for three years to just suddenly stop at 21.12.2012. and if you can overlook the fact that all that time during "the largest solar flare in human history" all Earth based communications are completely unaffected and that satellites even survive the Day to conveniently provide live feed to the ships you might even enjoy the film.
The film also features the only existing Antonov 225 (at least the CGI version ;)) which just happens to be in the area transporting couple of cars (yeah right :roll:)
Buildings collapse as if they're too lazy do just drop, and even when they hit the ground they still roll around (Sistine Chapel) conveniently steam rolling people :lol:
Planes prefer to fly below the ground surface, and don't seem to mind flying through volcanic eruption ash clouds.
Good thing is they didn't build spaceships, just ships. If they did, I'd walk out in the middle of the movie.

All in all it's action packed, doesn't let you relax much, and you wish the 15 minute break wasn't there.
Watch it if you have the opportunity and take notes, they might help in couple of years. :lol:

M

Mee_n_Mac

Shpaget":165sphsd said:
Yesterday I went to cinema to see 2012, primarily because it's two and a half hours long so I thought at least I'd get a lot of whatever I was buying. Long story short: decent movie.

That was pretty much my take as well. In any SF movie there's a bit of "willing suspension of disbelief". This movie pushes that to the limit but it's like all big Hollywood blockbusters in that regard, with "magical" (and seemingly indescructable) machines carrying our protagonists to their happy endings. Once you get past that the characters are reasonably well rounded (except for the WH science advisor, Adrian Helmsley, who comes across as the big bad Govt meanie at the end {before that he was OK as a hard hearted praagmatist}). There's non-stop action and they kill off enough of the good guys along the way to keep you guessing as to who will survive. There's also some humor tossed in for good measure. Go in with low expectations, as you should for any big HW blockbuster, and you'll come out decently entertained. Something of a cross between Deep Impact (which I liked) and Armageddon (stupid action flick but funny at times).

M

MeteorWayne

I found both Armegeddon and Deep Impact intensly unsatisfying because the required suspension of real science was too great to make it enjoyable. I watched them, but didn't enjoy them. That's just me. That's why the woos hate me here at SDC, I have my limits.

W

Wellington1114

Maybe if this 2012 thing scares enough people they'll wake up and be so grateful that their not dead they'll go green, and turn earth friendly. That kinda sounds like a "New Age".

S

StarRider1701

The best thing about 2012 is that the critics, at least the one in my local newspaper, hates it! Someone had a paper at work over the weekend and they did a nearly full page spread on the front page of the Entertainment section, with big pictures and everything. Our local critic then spent most of that page just plain dogging the crap out of every aspect of the film. THATS GREAT! That means I'll love it! I was planning to see it anyway, but I'm definately going now. I have never failed to totally enjoy a movie that the critics hated. Critics are such humorless idiots.

A

a_lost_packet_

One thing I can't stand about "Science Fiction Movies Taking Place in Real World Milieus" is that they spread a lot of junk science around and kids pick it up, dust off the dirt and then take it as "truth."

2012 seems to be another one of these movies. I couldn't imagine sitting through it, squirming in my seat every time they mentioned "neutrinos heating up the Earth." .... Come on! Give us a gamma ray burst or a supernova or something! At least something plausibe! Neutrinos? WTF? Mutant Neutrinos? WTFF! (That's a WTF x 2 - WT...) If they were mutant neutrinos, they wouldn't be neutrinos... right?

P

pmn1

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Cleri ... 2_999.html

by Staff Writers
Jakarta (AFP) Nov 19, 2009

Hollywood's latest doomsday offering "2012" has caused a storm in Indonesia, with conservative clerics condemning it Thursday as a "provocation against Islam". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Screenings have been sold out across the capital Jakarta following the film's success in North America, where it beat Disney's "A Christmas Carol" to top the box office honours last weekend.

It looks likely to repeat its success in Indonesia, the Southeast Asian archipelago with the world's biggest Muslim population, judging by the queues at cinemas in its opening days this week.

But while most viewers said they had enjoyed the film's apocalyptic vision of life after December 21, 2012, when the fulfilment of a Mayan prophecy sees the Earth engulfed by catastrophe, senior clerics were deeply troubled.

The country's top Islamic body, the National Council of Ulema (MUI), is divided over whether or not to issue a fatwa or religious edict against the film. One local branch has already done so, to little apparent effect.

"The controversial things about the film are, first, in Islam doomsday should not be visualised or predicted, it's the secret of God," council chairman Amidhan told AFP.

"For the common people, the portrayal of doomsday in this film could distort their faith -- that's what I'm worried about."

He also complained that the film showed mosques being destroyed but not churches, despite sequences depicting the Vatican collapsing and Rio de Janeiro's monumental Christ the Redeemer statue crumbling to pieces.

"The film shows that everything including Kaaba (Islam holiest shrine) and mosques were devastated except for churches. The film is a provocation against Islam," Amidhan said.

"The Indonesian film censorship body should have cut part of the scene on the devastation of mosques or the Kaaba because it hurts the Muslim people."

But few people who emerged from a packed matinee showing in Jakarta on Thursday shared the clerics' worries.

"It's actually a beautiful film. The MUI branch is wrong about issuing a fatwa as the movie actually has increased my faith and not the other way around," insurance broker Ian Ramelan, 49, said.

"I'm a Muslim, my faith in Allah is stronger after watching this flick," he added, urging the clerics to worry more about rampant corruption in Indonesia than about Hollywood's apocalyptic Christmas blockbuster.

University student Rafi Gamal, 22, said he understood that some people might think the film controversial "because men were able to predict doomsday and thus played the role of God".

"But then again it's just another natural disaster movie in which there are some survivors in the end. The end of the world means that there'll be no survivors," he said.

Junior high school student Steven Benedictto, 14, said the film had a positive message.

"I disagree with the MUI that people should not watch this movie. It has a beautiful message that we all should repent and industries should reduce their sinful activities, such as deforestation," he said.

A

a_lost_packet_

pmn1":ah9i8csh said:
http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Clerics_cringe_as_Indonesians_flock_to_doomsday_film_2012_999.html

by Staff Writers
Jakarta (AFP) Nov 19, 2009

Hollywood's latest doomsday offering "2012" has caused a storm in Indonesia, with conservative clerics condemning it Thursday as a "provocation against Islam". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

facepalm.jpg

S

StarRider1701

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perfect picture, lost!

Can't wait to see 2012 myself.

S

Shpaget

Nope, sorry. All ground based coms are down.
Try in 10 000 years when we restore our civilization.

S

StarRider1701

I've seen several of y'all make mention to "mutant neutrinos" but I don't recall anyone saying that. Sadly, at the beginning of our movie the equipment at the theatre went bonkers and we could see but not hear the first few minutes. I bitched and got a free movie pass to come back, so maybe they called the neutrinos 'mutants' then. I recall them talking about neutrinos heating up the magma under the crust and causing crust displacement.

I saw the movie last night and liked it for the most part. The big russian plane (Andropov?) wasn't just sitting around, it was the big Russian's plane and those were his cars. Remember when they drove off the plane in the Bentley - voice activated?

I did like the ships they made. It was kinda implausable that they didn't load #3 just because the top was slightly damaged. I would have ridden it out in that one, its not like it was built to be a submarine, as I thought when I first saw them. But its a surface ship - so there's a hole in the roof! Big deal. Yes, I know it would have taken on some water in the beginning, so what? So did #4 and it worked ok even with extra people aboard.
As someone else said, its a Hollywood blockbuster movie, there are always things in it they get wrong, sometimes just to add some drama or melodrama to the story. Overall, good movie. Go see it.

S

Shpaget

Yep, mutant neutrinos are mentioned and "explained" in first few minutes.
Apparently increased solar activity and large solar flair caused the mutation (they actually say the word "mutate" :lol: ).
IIRC they say it just as they open that well on the bottom of the mine to show the boiling water.

J

JasonChapman

I finally got around to seeing 2012. First off it was a good film filled with breath taking special FX sequences, much what you would expect from Hollywood these days.
However as for the plotline I was a little sceptical. The Earth’s Crust melting as a result of a massive solar storm causing the continents to shift on a catastrophic level, hmm... don’t know about that.
Although it has been speculated by our finest minds that a huge solar storm could cause massive devastation to anything electrical, plunging us into the dark ages. I’m no geologist but I’m pretty sure if the Earth’s crust did turn to magma, the oceans would heat up pretty quickly even boil away.

As for this whole 2012 end of the world thing. I was in Mexico in October at Chichen Itza, and I asked one of the local Mayan tour guides about the Mayan calendar running out on that particular day. He said it has nothing what so ever to do with the end of the world, the calendar simply runs its course, I guess the Mayan’s didn’t see the human race being around for thousands of years. Hey here’s a challenge for you, when does our modern day calendar run out?

On a whole I did enjoy the film, and will be getting it on DVD, it’ll look good next to Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, etc.

Just one last question, why do all these disaster movies feature seperated couples? the three films I just mentioned are an example.

S

Shpaget

JasonChapman":ropmg5ej said:
Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, etc.

Just one last question, why do all these disaster movies feature seperated couples? the three films I just mentioned are an example.

The day the Earth stood still, The Andromeda Strain, Knowing, Armageddon...

Status
Not open for further replies.