Your Favorite Superman?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kerberos

Lois is one thing, and even Jimmy if Supes is in to that sort of thing, but diddling Perry is just going too far. :eek:

J

jim48

BTW, here is a synopsis of every George Reeves episode of Superman: Diddle around with Lois, Jimmy and Perry for 25 minutes while some lame bad guys straight out of a 1940s gangster movie hatch some ridiculous scheme (usually involving kidnapping either Lois and/or Jimmy). Then get a phone call identifying the location of the perps, duck into the same broom closet, jump out of a fake window, pretend to fly by lying on a table, then bust though a wall and bang the bad guy's heads together...Gee, thanks Superman. The End

A good and valid synopsis. You must know that the George Reeves' Superman show was not on prime-time on a major network. It was sponsored by a cereal company for airings on Saturdays during the day, the kiddie audience. George Reeves himself was stunned to realize that his legions of fans were on average ten years old. The Adventures of Superman was a low-budget affair, save for Reeves' salary. The first year was actually pretty adult and grim, however. After that the sponsors demanded changes so new producers came in and re-shaped the show to sell breakfast cereal. ;)

J

jim48

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh4WDyMvczA[/youtube]

J

jim48

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wo9VTZXfRI[/youtube]

O

onesmallstep

jim48":2sm2u3oy said:
A good and valid synopsis. You must know that the George Reeves' Superman show was not on prime-time on a major network. It was sponsored by a cereal company for airings on Saturdays during the day, the kiddie audience. George Reeves himself was stunned to realize that his legions of fans were on average ten years old. The Adventures of Superman was a low-budget affair, save for Reeves' salary. The first year was actually pretty adult and grim, however. After that the sponsors demanded changes so new producers came in and re-shaped the show to sell breakfast cereal. ;)

He shouldn't have been too stunned. He appeared on an episode of I Love Lucy in which he was supposed to be guest of honor at Little Ricky's birthday party....That alone should have given him some kind of clue as to who his audience was. ;)

Z

ZenGalacticore

I watched the old 'Superman' show when it was in syndication back in the early 70s. It came on weekday afternoons around the same time as 'Addams Family', 'Gilligan's Island', 'Beaver', and all that.

I always thought it was funny that when gangster guys were shooting at him, Superman would stand there smiling as the bullets bounced of his chest. Then, when the guy's gun was empty, he'd throw it at Superman and the Man of Steel would duck out of the way! :lol:

I liked that cartoon they did around that time too, as well as the '79 movie. I thought Brando was superb as Jalel or Jarel or whatever his name is. A lot of people still think the 'S'-like symbol stands for 'Superman'.

Oh yeah, how 'bout that? Superman promoting super-sugary candy cereal to the kids. Boy have times changed. Superman eats Wheaties. Or maybe 'Whities'. :lol:

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":37g66th6 said:
I watched the old 'Superman' show when it was in syndication back in the early 70s. It came on weekday afternoons around the same time as 'Addams Family', 'Gilligan's Island', 'Beaver', and all that.

I always thought it was funny that when gangster guys were shooting at him, Superman would stand there smiling as the bullets bounced of his chest. Then, when the guy's gun was empty, he'd throw it at Superman and the Man of Steel would duck out of the way! :lol:

I liked that cartoon they did around that time too, as well as the '79 movie. I thought Brando was superb as Jalel or Jarel or whatever his name is. A lot of people still think the 'S'-like symbol stands for 'Superman'.

Oh yeah, how 'bout that? Superman promoting super-sugary candy cereal to the kids. Boy have times changed. Superman eats Wheaties. Or maybe 'Whities'. :lol:

Jor-El, and while Brando was good, they should have cast Gregory Peck. He looks like Christopher Reeves' father, certainly more "all-American" than Brando. They always wanted to do a cereal commercial with Clark and Lois, or Lois and Jimmy, but then folks might have wondered what Lois was doing there for breakfast in the first place. ;) It was a different time.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Yeah. Greg Peck would've been great in the role, as would George C. Scott.

You missed your calling, Casting Agent Fester.

They certainly could've cast a better Lois in that movie, though.

Y

yevaud

Yeah. Margot Kidder? WTH?

I suspect she had incriminating photos of someone to get the role.

J

jim48

Have you seen the latest Lois? She sleep-walked through that movie. Give me Margot Kidder. She had spunk and piss & vinegar and was the best screamer since Fay Wray in King Kong. Leslie Ann Warren was considered for Lois back then, plus some others I've forgotten.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Of course, Peck had just played the unknowing step-father of Satan's Child* just three years before.

The "Superman '79" people were probably uncomfortably aware of that. :lol:
Even though it's just acting, make-believe.

*Their--"The Omen" producers-- baby "Damien", did resemble little Adolf Hitler in his post-toddler years. (Especially if the child actor had had a "bowl" haircut.) :cool:

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":1vapykhr said:
Of course, Peck had just played the unknowing step-father of Satan's Child* just three years before.

The "Superman '79" people were probably uncomfortably aware of that. :lol:
Even though it's just acting, make-believe.

*Their--"The Omen" producers-- baby "Damien", did resemble little Adolf Hitler in his post-toddler years. (Especially if the child actor had had a "bowl" haircut.) :cool:

Given your writing here at SDC, I knew it was only a matter of time before Hitler showed up. ;) So many threads you post in give way to Nazis and Hitler...

Z

ZenGalacticore

jim48":1wm95j1k said:
Given your writing here at SDC, I knew it was only a matter of time before Hitler showed up. ;) So many threads you post in give way to Nazis and Hitler...

Well think about it Jim. "Damien" had dark hair, and bright, clear, silver-blue eyes.* (Just like Hitler.) And in later life, "Damien: Omen 3", he convinced multitudes of men to follow him even though his "evil" was apparent by the time he personally ignited the greatest, catastophic conflict in the history of Mankind (like Hitler).

IMO, if ever there was an anti-Christ--or if such a thing is possible as Christ is possible-- then Hitler was him.

*Hitler's eyes were a stunning, crystal clear blue. He had his mother's eyes. It's been said that besides the fact that he earned the Iron Cross First Class for exceptional bravery in combat conditions in WWI (rarely awarded to non-commissioned officers), and his extraordinary oratorical skills, that much of his political success with the German Volk had to do with his God-given, penetrating and intense blue eyes.

(Anyway. I don't mean to change the subject of the thread. But I suppose we are still talking about "supermen" of sorts.)

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":2fvdlox0 said:
Yeah. Margot Kidder? WTH?

I suspect she had incriminating photos of someone to get the role.

I have no idea why she got the role either. But, she does have a very expressive face. Actors who can use such an asset usually rise far above what their physical appearance and acting ability would otherwise get them. Unfortunately, Ms Kidder isn't the most mentally stable of people..

I went looking around for a reference pic and was a bit surprised - There's quite a few risque pics of Ms Kidder around. I was going to make a comment and rate her on a 1-10 scale but, after seeing some, I'd have to improve my rating a bit..

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":yrxmbhmu said:
jim48":yrxmbhmu said:

Well think about it Jim. "Damien" had dark hair, and bright, clear, silver-blue eyes.* (Just like Hitler.) And in later life, "Damien: Omen 3", he convinced multitudes of men to follow him even though his "evil" was apparent by the time he personally ignited the greatest, catastophic conflict in the history of Mankind (like Hitler).

IMO, if ever there was an anti-Christ--or if such a thing is possible as Christ is possible-- then Hitler was him.

*Hitler's eyes were a stunning, crystal clear blue. He had his mother's eyes. It's been said that besides the fact that he earned the Iron Cross First Class for exceptional bravery in combat conditions in WWI (rarely awarded to non-commissioned officers), and his extraordinary oratorical skills, that much of his political success with the German Volk had to do with his God-given, penetrating and intense blue eyes.

(Anyway. I don't mean to change the subject of the thread. But I suppose we are still talking about "supermen" of sorts.)

You continue to prove my point, brother Zen. ;)

F

FlatEarth

What???? Superman was a Nazi???? Okay, where's my cape! Daggone it, these tights seemed to have shrunk! :?

J

jim48

FlatEarth":34oijusw said:
What???? Superman was a Nazi???? Okay, where's my cape! Daggone it, these tights seemed to have shrunk! :?

That happens to guys your age. :lol:

C

crazyeddie

Queer boy that I am, Brandon Routh from Superman Returns was my favorite. He was the most physically beautiful of all the men who played the part, and his character was edgier and more tormented in that film, compared to all the others. And I found this interesting blurb that only adds to his appeal:

Superman's bulge worries movie bosses

The new Superman is giving movie bosses a headache - because of the size of his bulge.

They fear Brandon Routh's profile in the superhero's skintight costume could be distracting, reports the Sun.

Hollywood executives have ordered the makers of Superman Returns to cover it up with digital effects.

The Sun's source said: "It's a major issue for the studio. Brandon is extremely well endowed and they don't want it up on the big screen.

"We may be forced to erase his package with digital effects."

Brandon, 26, has taken over the superhero's cape from the late Christopher Reeve.

Wardrobe artists have had to fit him with a special codpiece for the new film out next year.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_16 ... s.quirkies

superman2.jpg

J

jim48

Welcome back, Eddie! They had the same problem with Christopher Reeve early on, the continuity person making sure that his appearance was consistent in each shot, as in "Was he hung to the left or hung to the right in the last shot?" They solved the problem by having him wear a cup. The new Superman had upper arm and shoulder pads sewn into his costume. Too bad he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, which is why he is no longer Superman.

L

lildreamer

Sorry Eddie - but an EMO Supes didn't cut it for me...Supes is called a the biggest boy scout in a cape for a reason...and this supes doesn't come to mind - Reeve's nailed it...as for the TV show version back in the days of yore ...well ...Yes that was SUPERMAN.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts