Your Favorite SF

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

specfiction

I just read a copy of The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. He's a Vietnam Vet and a professor at MIT. He tried to get the book published for a long time. When he was finally able to get it published, they had him cut a big chunk out of it. Of course, it won several awards. Now that Joe has a reputation, he's had it repulbished in its original version--it's really good! And very timely...

S

specfiction

I've been watching ST Enterprise on the SF channel on Monday nights. They have three or four episodes in a row from the beginning of the series to the end, most of which I've never seen before. I have to say, it's pretty good...

S

specfiction

Here's another one--Space Above and Beyond. Remember that series? I think it ran one season. It is now out on DVD.

M

Mee_n_Mac

I had forgotten about <i>Space Above and Beyond</i> until your mention. I mostly liked it IIRC. It would be a good remake for the SciFi channel and would fill (partially) the hole left when BSG ends. Kinda a <i>Starship Troopers</i> brought to the weekly format but with better characters (and acting) than in the <i>ST</i> movies. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

J

jryle1234

Old Movie - It came from outer space - Them - the day the world stood still - many more.<br />Newer - ET - Star Wars (yeah all six) - Lord of the rings - Do robets dream of android sheep (I prefere the original name) - more<br />Authors (body of work) Aasomiv(?) - Bradbury - McCaffrey - Herbert - David Weber - Tolkien - Jordan - many more I cant remember right now <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> Whould you like a jelly baby? </div>

J

johnsje

I also enjoyed Space above and beyond. Would love to see a new series about that. I am pretty sure the show was pretty dark to, and I think thats what I liked about it. It was not like in ST where even though you are looking at getting killed by all the borg, you still new what would happen.

P

PistolPete

Speaking of shows that lived fast, died young, and left a good looking corpse, what about <i>Firefly</i>?<br /><br />I liked it because it was one of the few scifi shows where when the good guy had the bad guy in his sights, he (or she) actually pulled the ruttin' trigger instead of getting a sudden moral dilemma and allowing the bad guy to get the upper hand (I'm talking to you, TNG). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

V

vagueship

Me too. In season 1, I like the comment, "Eat the food, use the wrong verbs, and get charged double." while being in the future. <br /><br />It's a very true comment in regards to learning and adapting whilte travelling.

H

hracctsold

Speaking of Firefly, <br />it was the people on this forum that got me to try and watch that show, which I did, and was hooked. But I never was able to find it that often though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts