1000Planets 2005 Annual Year End Report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jwsmith

1000Planets: 2005, the year in review.<br />At midnight January 1, 2006, 1000Planets, Inc. was 5 years old. <br />While things have not really gone smooth we are progressing down “the road to the stars.” <br />1000 Planets started out trying to fit everything into one basket, and trying to please every one. That was a very bad business model. We have now confined our efforts to the establishment of a human colony on Mars. <br />Currently there are only 5 people who are actually active in this pursuit. Michael Bindner and myself are doing most of the ship and colony design work, Dan Casales is doing most of the colony site development work. Philip Bowen and Jordan Pelovitz are doing the imaging for the colony and related items. <br />Three other people deserve specific mention, for their help. Shaun Moss has allowed us to adopt his timekeeping and calendar system for Mars. Joseph Turner is helping design a water filtration system and Jonathan Duncan has helped me in the placing of the Mars Colony pages on the web site. <br /><br />Check out Shaun Moss' clock in the index. <br />http://www.1000Planets.com/mars_colony_page1.php <br /><br />While I still can use help from someone with architectural CAD abilities the plans are almost finished and the cost estimating will soon begin. I am hoping that we can start building the first one very soon. Maybe as early as this spring. The building can begin before the actual plans are finished and the full cost estimating is finished.<br /><br />1000Planets can still use volunteers in various areas of knowledge. Send me a current resume and your area of interest and we will talk. <br /><br />The 2006 annual meeting of stock holders will be Saturday 21 January at 10PM EST 9PM (CST) in the 1KP chat room. http://www.1000planets.com/chat. Every one is invited to sit in on this.<br /><br />Each year 1000Planets, <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2">John Wayne Smith, CEO</font></p><p><font size="2">1000 Planets, Inc</font></p><p><font size="2">Http://www.1000Planets.com</font></p><p><font size="2">203 W.Magnolia St.</font></p><p><font size="2">Leesbutg Florida 34748</font></p><p><font size="2">Ph: 352 787 5550</font></p><p><font size="2">email jwsmith42000@aol.com</font></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

You may have some good points there, conceded. But please tone down your responses and be a bit more civilized.<br /><br />Thank you. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

S

scottb50

You're absolutely right. We have to establish LEO Stations and industries that can be used to expand further than LEO. We need an infrastructure in LEO to support moving further from Earth.<br /><br />The real problem is the chicken or egg conundrum. We need capable, cheap and safe transportation from the Earths surface to LEO and back to allow the industries to consider establishing facilities in LEO. On the other hand you have to have a compelling need to invest in the systems to attract investment to even build them. <br /><br />If for no other reason than future safety it would be a good idea to salvage junk that has been left in orbit. Because of the vastly different materials involved I would wonder if processing in LEO would work. If nothing else ship it down and sell pieces. Wonder what an original RL-10 from the sixties would be worth?<br /><br />I also think once we are established in LEO the moon, Mars and asteroids are pretty much the same, technology wise, maybe a few accomodations, but, basically, the same hardware could be used from LEO outward. What is needed is a commercial reason to be in LEO in the first place, once it is profitable then the technology developed can be adapted to other needs.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jwsmith

ScottB50 writes: >> You're absolutely right. We have to establish LEO Stations and industries that can be used to expand further than LEO. We need an infrastructure in LEO to support moving further from Earth. <<<br /><br />You are absolutely right and 1000Planets has a plan to remove the junk from the orbits of Earth and reuse them to move further out. All of the units that will be used to build a colony on Mars can and will be used in Earth Orbit as the staging area, but will also have the facilities and equipment to collect and reuse this valuable junk. <br /><br />ScottB50 also writes: />> If for no other reason than future safety it would be a good idea to salvage junk that has been left in orbit. Because of the vastly different materials involved I would wonder if processing in LEO would work. If nothing else ship it down and sell pieces. Wonder what an original RL-10 from the sixties would be worth? <<<br /><br />Another good idea, get the bids and money before you bring it back to Earth though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2">John Wayne Smith, CEO</font></p><p><font size="2">1000 Planets, Inc</font></p><p><font size="2">Http://www.1000Planets.com</font></p><p><font size="2">203 W.Magnolia St.</font></p><p><font size="2">Leesbutg Florida 34748</font></p><p><font size="2">Ph: 352 787 5550</font></p><p><font size="2">email jwsmith42000@aol.com</font></p> </div>

J

jwsmith

foxbat1701 writes: >> There is tons of junk in orbit that is no longer functioning. With an enterprising satellite miner and the abiltity to recycle the stuff in orbit, along with NEO asteroid miners and manufacturing capability in orbit we could then create much bigger, better missions to Mars or wherever because some of it could be built in space. <<<br /><br />If you have the money and time, talk to me. If not start finding the money and time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2">John Wayne Smith, CEO</font></p><p><font size="2">1000 Planets, Inc</font></p><p><font size="2">Http://www.1000Planets.com</font></p><p><font size="2">203 W.Magnolia St.</font></p><p><font size="2">Leesbutg Florida 34748</font></p><p><font size="2">Ph: 352 787 5550</font></p><p><font size="2">email jwsmith42000@aol.com</font></p> </div>

J

jwsmith

foxbat1701 writes: >> Mars will still be there when we reach a point that we have the ability and the knowledge to be able to plant a viable, self sustaining colony. <<<br /><br />You are just a talker and except the money WE have the ability and knowledge. I will be living on Mars while you are still here talking. <br />You are the one wasting peoples time. Get out and do something. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2">John Wayne Smith, CEO</font></p><p><font size="2">1000 Planets, Inc</font></p><p><font size="2">Http://www.1000Planets.com</font></p><p><font size="2">203 W.Magnolia St.</font></p><p><font size="2">Leesbutg Florida 34748</font></p><p><font size="2">Ph: 352 787 5550</font></p><p><font size="2">email jwsmith42000@aol.com</font></p> </div>

M

mlorrey

Foxbat, so far as I know, those who spent their time naysaying the dreamers never accomplished anything significant themselves. You never get ahead by dragging others down.

J

jwsmith

mlorrey Writes: >> Foxbat, so far as I know, those who spent their time naysaying the dreamers never accomplished anything significant themselves. You never get ahead by dragging others down. <<<br /><br />This is very true. <br />Foxbat, what do you know how to do. What do you do for a living. What do you do when you are playing around on the computer. What do you like to do.<br />I would wager that I can find a way to let you help make it possible to do all of the things we have mentioned here. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2">John Wayne Smith, CEO</font></p><p><font size="2">1000 Planets, Inc</font></p><p><font size="2">Http://www.1000Planets.com</font></p><p><font size="2">203 W.Magnolia St.</font></p><p><font size="2">Leesbutg Florida 34748</font></p><p><font size="2">Ph: 352 787 5550</font></p><p><font size="2">email jwsmith42000@aol.com</font></p> </div>

M

mlorrey

That is the great thing about the free market: we are free to pursue our own dreams. If your dream is, in the opinion of the market, better, then you shouldn't have trouble raising the capital if you go about it right. If mine is better, I'll raise capital, and if JW's is better, he'll raise capital. If we all do our jobs right, we will all raise sufficient capital for our projects, and if we are smart, we can help each others projects by including them in our own.<br /><br />You aren't going to convince JW, or myself, to abandon our dreams simply by telling us to. If you want our cooperation you need to demonstrate factually why yours is better, or else figure out how to take advantage of our own successes to advance your own.

S

scottb50

I don't see planting a permanent colony on the Moon or on Mars as being significantly different. The cost of the components you would need to have would be basically the same, the propellant needed would not be that much different, for the same mass. The only difference would be the transit time and if you are talking permanent stations anyway the transit time is a minor concern. If your going to live there for years what difference does it make if it takes three days or two months?<br /><br />Not that I don't think there are many reasons to have an outpost on the moon, the primary one being testing and perfecting the technology we need to be months instead of days from Earth. I firmly believe we have all the technology we need, at hand, to do either, the trick is to use that technology to do both, not have moon and Mars equipment and facilities but have stuff that can work at both places. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jwsmith

ScottB50 writes: >> I don't see planting a permanent colony on the Moon or on Mars as being significantly different. <<<br /><br />Exactly: The same system that you prefer and the one I prefer will work well in both places and could make good permanent off planet space cities. <br />I have mine designed down to the last washer under the last nut on the last bolt and the last cc of atmosphere, and I will sell it. Pre-made all you have to do it to launch it to where you want it to go. <br />They are not cheap, but they are available. <br /><br />I want to see people live anywhere off the face of the Earth. I prefer Mars because we have a history of abandoning tough jobs right in the middle of them. A colony on Luna will not insure that mankind stays a space traveling species. Neither will off planet colonies. Only a permanent colony on Mars will insure that. <br /><br />Scott, the rest of what you say is right on target. <br /><br />Mr. Foxbat1701 let me see some money and I will put you and 100 other people on Luna within 10 years. You can dig Luna dirt all you wish. At the same time the rest of us will be going to MARS. <br /><br />"The meek shall inherit the Earth (and Luna) the rest of us are going to Mars": Shaun Moss, 1999<br /><br />PS: A lot of people here at Space.com has made this effort possible, including Scott. Actually about 150 people from all around the world have helped. Some people like myself and Scott have really been working at this for a long time. So we really do not have to have your help. Both of these will be done by people right here on Space.com before anyone else gets off the ground and all you can do is moan and groan. <br />I was just trying to be nice. I am tired of trying to be nice to people like you. Pay attention to what is going on around you. <br />Now if you really want it to happen just go out and find your own money, I will sell you everything you have to have and we are on our way. <br /><br />Thank You <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2">John Wayne Smith, CEO</font></p><p><font size="2">1000 Planets, Inc</font></p><p><font size="2">Http://www.1000Planets.com</font></p><p><font size="2">203 W.Magnolia St.</font></p><p><font size="2">Leesbutg Florida 34748</font></p><p><font size="2">Ph: 352 787 5550</font></p><p><font size="2">email jwsmith42000@aol.com</font></p> </div>

R

rocketman5000

Here is a sobering fact. People will die in the colonization of the moon and mars. hopefully a lot lower percentage than when the americas were colonized by the europeans. America was not settled by one group of explorers it was settled by a large number of seperate adventures. Some learned by the mistakes of those before them. (don't go shooting at natives) Some didnt' and repeated their mistakes. what is most important is when failures happen is to learn from them. Those early explorers that gave up their lives knew very well that the likelihood of failure was high, but they accepted the risks as many of us would do in today's quests for settlements on the Moon and Mars.

R

rocketman5000

I think it would be safe to say that you wouldn't go the whole way to Mars without spares. It is always cheaper to build the second than it is to make the first one.

S

scottb50

If you use nearly identical Modules you could be flying and testing the structure you will use on the moon or Mars from the very beginning. By the time you establish a launch system and an LEO assembly and deployment station the Modules should be pretty much understood.<br /><br />If you continue by using the same sub-systems throughout you not only get added reliability you get lower costs. Like you say it would be stupid to not plan adequate spares. It would also be stupid not to design in multiple redundancy, then a failure is not a catastrophy, it's routine. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mlorrey

I'd prefer taking a desktop CAD/CAM lathe/mill and feedstock than spares, perhaps an IC/circuitboard prototyper as well, since you never know what particular spares you'll need, and such equipment would come in real handy on Mars anyways in the long term.

R

rocketman5000

I would love to do that as well since it would allow for future expansion using In Situ resources. It would also allow for a design flaw to be redesigned either on earth or on location and be recreated. <br /><br />However somethings like rubber seals which are ever so critical to sustaining life in a hostile (or lack of ) atmosphere. would be hard to come by without a chemical plant or rubber trees in the neighborhood, At some point you will just have to make the leap. These types of spares however could be planned (they are wear items) and have a small capsule that is ion powered be launched behind the colonial ship for later arrival and a low launch mass. With the assumption that by the time that the project is launched commercial launchers will be available at a lower cost.

J

jwsmith

foxbat1701 wirtes: Good for you. So go build your colony out on Mars.<br /><br />Foxbat1701, I feel sorry for you. Very, very sorry and in your hour of greatest need you can turn to me. I will be there for you. My land line is 352 787 5550 and my cell is 352 308 6347. When you hurt the most call me I will soothe you back to reality.<br /><br />John Wayne Smith, 2006 Libertarian candidate for Governor of Florida.<br /><br />rocketman5000 [re: foxbat1701] writes: />> I think it would be safe to say that you wouldn't go the whole way to Mars without spares. <<<br /><br />Of course. Our smallest ship will be made up of 8 completely independent modules, capable of holding and providing for 24 people. However only 6 of these modules will be occupied and by only 16 people. Spare modules and spare room in the occupied modules. <br /><br /> />> It is always cheaper to build the second than it is to make the first one. <<<br /><br />and the third, and the fourth, and the fifth, <br /><br />Scottb50 [re: rocketman5000] writes: <br /><br /> />> If you use nearly identical Modules <br />--------------------------------<br />then a failure is not a catastrophy, it's routine. <<<br /><br />Scott, having studied and designed a useable system you understand why modules are necessary.<br /><br /><br />mlorrey [re: rocketman5000] writes: />> I'd prefer taking a desktop CAD/CAM lathe/mill and feedstock than spares, perhaps an IC/circuitboard prototyper as well. Such equipment would come in real handy on Mars anyways in the long term. <<<br /><br />Each module and each core ship will have such, when I find someone who can advise what programs would be best to have. <br /><br /> />> "If you can't do the math, your opinion means squat." <<<br /><br />I do not understand the math. I am a math dummy. Please help me.<br /><br />rocketman5000 [re: mlorrey] writes: />> I would love to do that as well since it would allow for future expansion using In Situ resources. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2">John Wayne Smith, CEO</font></p><p><font size="2">1000 Planets, Inc</font></p><p><font size="2">Http://www.1000Planets.com</font></p><p><font size="2">203 W.Magnolia St.</font></p><p><font size="2">Leesbutg Florida 34748</font></p><p><font size="2">Ph: 352 787 5550</font></p><p><font size="2">email jwsmith42000@aol.com</font></p> </div>

M

mlorrey

Gasket style seals are not difficult to fabricate: paper, cardboard, cloth, etc can easily be impregnated with silicone rubber from a tube when parts are clamped or bolted together. <br /><br />High temp high pressure metal seals (such as used to mate hydraulic pumps, generators, etc to turbine engines) are pressed from spring steel.<br /><br />I've made both types (the second type are obviously harder to make) a number of times. The first type are extremely easy to produce, most garage mechanics have done thus many times.<br /><br />With the CAD/CAM machines I posted on earlier, one can easily make injection molds that will produce O-rings from extruded silicone rubber. Having a supply of silicone rubber is a limited resource, though having it in a tube for custom application is probably the smartest move rather than producing many of different types of seals on Earth.

N

nexium

Hi foxbat: JW Smith is not typically hostile, but he is, perhaps, returning your hostility. We are all frustrated, because there are so many details which can be show stoppers for your plan, JW's plan, and Scot's plan.<br />Mars has the glamour and can attract big bucks, and big bucks are needed for any space activity.<br />My idea is to put two ladies and a sperm bank in a tiny asteroid that passes close to Earth. Risk is high with technology likely to be proven reliable in the next 5 years. Inital cost is low. Maintenance costs will be high as supplies must be delivered annually for centuries. Perhaps each tiny habitat can specialize in a different area of self sufficiency until we learn to live in space without massive support from Earth. Neil

S

scottb50

There are no show stoppers. All there is is a lack of desire, or need. We get wacked by an asteroid or suddenly make contact with another civilization the incentive exists. Now it's more important to control all the oil, until we suck it all up, put more in the bank than the next guy and have a bigger SUV. What I like to call the Cancer Analogy. Consume, consume and consume and eventually the host dies, we have the capacity to understand that while a Cancer doesn't.<br /><br />Cost is irrelevant because if we don't do it they will be digging up our remains and theorizing on why we failed like the dinosaurs in another 20 million years. Hopefully they will get it and not follow the same road.<br /><br />We need no new technology to go to Mars or to go asteroids and comets, we have done it recently and proven it can be done. There are any number of ways we can do it, it's just a matter of settling on the safest and most economical means of doing it and doing it. This getting back to the moon in 20 years stuff is just smoke and mirrors, we should be on Mars, asteroids and Comets in ten years, not finally crawling back to the moon.<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

O

oker59

i share your intellectual bent; but, i find the notion that 1000planets has the ability to foot the bill for a mars colony; this seems kind of a novel thought.<br /><br />Whoever's in charge of 1000planets must be richer than Mr Gates and god knows who else to pull this off; this is like a friendlier version of some James Bond scenario where some mind warped industrial tycoon decides to take over the world in some technological nightmare scenario!

S

scottb50

Whoever's in charge of 1000planets must be richer than Mr Gates and god knows who else to pull this off;>><br /><br />Not that I have met him, but while he comes off that way I would say J.W. Smith is about as far from that as I am. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rogers_buck

It's probably going to wipe out next years budget to change the name to 836Planets in keeping with the IAU's new definition of what is a planet. Website, business cards, a few .gif images, those four coffee cups, and that sign on the bedroom door - for example... They might want to sue the IAU for damages.<br />

S

solarspot

In responce to no person in particular, most in general...<br /><br />"Better is the enemy of good enough" - Mark Prado<br />I personally would prefer a manned mission to an asteroid, to mine and later sell materials (in space) for a profit... A commertial manned Lunar mission would be good too... But a manned Mars mission would no less be far better than staying on Earth...<br /><br />So how about instead of looking for the perfect way to get to an asteroid/ the Moon/ Mars... how about we look for something that will get the job done - now<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts