Accomplishments and Questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vgeric

Hey! I finally did it.... for those of you who were with me when I wanted to see the ring nebula, I finally found it! It looked like a hazy circle no matter how I focused. Wasn't it M57? There aren't any other nebula/galaxies in Lyra in that area that I know of. I also found M13. I was never so happy! <br /><br />Anyways, back on topic. I guess the first question would be when the moon rises right now. I live in Indiana if that helps. I haven't seen the moon for days now, and for some reason I feel empty if I don't see it every once in awhile, not to mention to try out my barlow on it.<br /><br />The second question I have is, what are some free software downloads for sky charts or anything related to astronomy? Are there any mars/moon globes, or maybe something along the lines of Starry Night Backyard?<br /><br />Thanks for all of your help!<br /><br />Eric

H

heyscottie

Congratulations! M57 is hard to find the first time you are looking for it -- it just looks like a hazy star until you zoom in. Now that you've found it once, you'll be able to find it pretty much at will. And it's usually a crowd pleaser because it really *looks* like something.<br /><br />Scott

V

vgeric

Thanks everyone! It was awesome finding the two objects ( I have only seen 4 Messier objects :S)! And thanks to all for the other help! You guys always come around in my times of need!<br /><br />VGE

H

heyscottie

It can in fact be located with a 4.5" scope or smaller. (I've done so in my 4.5"). I'm sure the spiral arms stand out a lot better in an 8", though!

V

vgeric

I'll try M51 and the double stars.. though it has been cloudy for at least 2 or 3 days now....even if it was clear, from my deck I can only see Hercules, Lyra, Bootes, and Corona Borealis from my deck. Those stupid trees!<br /><br />Thanks for the advice!

H

heyscottie

You should be able to see Albireo's double with no problem. Ditto on the Alcor/Mizar double in the Big Dipper (Mizar is itself a double star, which you should also be able to separate).<br /><br />But Epsilon Lyrae I cannot separate with my 4.5" scope. I can split the primary double, but I cannot split either of those doubles into two. Hopefully you can get it!

T

thalion

I'm puzzled that you can't split Epsilon Lyrae with your 4.5". I just recently split the wider pair of Epsilon Lyrae with my 60 mm refractor, and at least elongated the second pair.

T

tfwthom

You just explaned why refractor are better for splitting doubles then reflector.<br /><br />Refractor excell at the Moon, planets, splitting doubles.<br /><br />Reflectors are for deep space objects.<br /><br />SCTs are a cross between the two, not as good as either but more portable. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

H

heyscottie

Really, I've been kind of puzzled as to why I haven't been able to split them either. It seems like I should be able to, even though my telescope is Newtonian.<br /><br />It's possible that every time I've tried I've had bad seeing, but I've tried several times. Your success has inspired me, though, and I think I shall try again at my earliest opportunity.<br /><br />Scott

P

petepan

VGEric,<br /><br />Just a quick word about software. two programs that i like are, Skyglobe 3.6 and Winstars. both a shareware and easily found. Winstars is a long download but does have a good range of features. Skyglobe is a very basic DOS based program but runs well in a window environment. If you wanted to learn your way around the night sky, this is a very good program. I still use it. Very quick and easy. Best of all, very cheap!<br /><br />Well done on finding those Messier objects.<br />*whisper* ive found 40 so far, still looking *resumes normal voice*<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Cheers

H

heyscottie

Oh, I can split Mizar just fine with my naked eye into the Alcor-Mizar double. But splitting the Mizar primary further into ITS double needs a telescope.

N

newtonian

heyscottie - I'm just naturally curious.<br /><br />I'm sure you didn't mean I am your telescope!<br /><br />So, er, what is a Newtonian telescope?

H

heyscottie

Paul:<br /><br />A Newtonian is a reflector design that was first popularized by Newton.<br /><br />Light comes in, strikes primary parabolic mirror, strikes flat secondary mirror mounted at 45 degree angle, focuses near the front of the tube out the side.<br /><br />A Dobsonian is a Newtonian with a different kind of mount. The optics are the same.<br /><br />For the most part, any telescope that is a "reflector" is a Newtonian. (There are exceptions, but they are quite rare.)<br /><br />Scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts