Addams Family: What Exactly is Uncle Fester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

Since I was a little kid, I've wondered what it is exactly that Uncle Fester is supposed to be. Is he an Enchanter? Is he a Goblin? What in the f--- is Uncle Fester?

Lurch is a zombie. I'm pretty sure of that.

And Morticia, mmmmm...Morticia.... *****Whoa Wake Up!!! Okay. Morticia is, um, an Enchantress? A Witch? A dead walking undead beautiful Vampiress? A lesbian Ms. Vampire? Nope. Vampiress for sure!

And Ma-ma? She's a witch too?

Cousin Itt? Obviously a drop-out of some kind. He's been in the basement for way too long. That's how the Addams' get their money. Itt's down there in the dungeons cultivating some serious gothic weed. And Fester's probably assisting. :lol:

And Wednesday and Pugsley? I don't know about those two. I do know that if they ever did a serious scary version of the Addams Family, that they should get that scary little girl from "The Ring" to play Wednesday!

But seriously. What the hell is Uncle Fester?

J

jim48

Sounds like someone watched The Addams Family marathon on WGN. Is this a trick question? :lol:

Z

ZenGalacticore

jim48":3cbvhcke said:
Sounds like someone watched The Addams Family marathon on WGN. Is this a trick question? :lol:

No trick question. I caught a few of the episodes. Among them: "The Missing Thing", and "Lurch the Rock Star". Again, no trick question Lynch. I want to know what the hell Uncle Fester is supposed to be!

Jesus-Hallow's Eve-Christ, of all people, you ought to know! Is he a Goblin? What?

K

Kerberos

He's the only honest-to-goodness bonafide scientist in the Addams family.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Kerberos":1no1t6ix said:
He's the only honest-to-goodness bonafide scientist in the Addams family.

You get back in your cockpit flyboy! I wasn't talkin' to you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cool:

J

jim48

Kerberos is right. Grandpa Munster ain't got nothin' on me in the lab. What am I? I'm whatever you want me to be! :lol:

A

a_lost_packet_

Uncle Fester is the only one in the Adam's family that is occasionally afflicted with bouts of sanity. :)

Z

ZenGalacticore

Oh screw grandpa Munster, he's a jerk. And I know he's a Vampire. The Munster's are obvious: Eddie's a werewolf, Herman's Frankenstein, his wife is obviously the bride of Frankenstein, and then what's-her-name is normal.

What in the hell is Uncle Fester? I think he's a goblin or something. Don't get me wrong, Uncle Fester cracks me up. That whole show was... what words can describe? It was one of a kind. It's right up there with anything, or anyone of the "one of a kind" stellar level.

Okay. So maybe Fester isn't supposed to be anything from the monster universe. The Addams Family is simply a metaphor of the REAL American family, ie, the dysfunctional family. Such a refreshing break from "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver".

My family was more like the Addams' than it was like the Bradys. But when we were all growing up in the 60s and early 70s, there WERE mothers like June Cleaver in my neigborhood. They'd even cut the crust off the white bread when they made sandwiches for their wussy kids.

My mother went to work after I turned 6, (I'm the youngest) and at the time in suburbia there was still a stigma if your mother worked, even though she was a college professor. She didn't have to work, dad made bukoo bucks. She wanted to teach.

Like Pugsley probably had to do, I had to make my own lunch if I wanted to take one to school. Usually American cheese with mayo or P&J, nothing fancy. Nor did I have a cool Scooby-Doo or Lost in Space lunch box. I had to brown-bag it man.

Woops. I've been corresponding with Alp too much. Starting to wax nostalgic there... :lol:

K

Kerberos

ZenGalacticore":1rbyezrr said:
Okay. So maybe Fester isn't supposed to be anything from the monster universe. The Addams Family is simply a metaphor of the REAL American family, ie, the dysfunctional family. Such a refreshing break from "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver".
Hey now, don't be disrespecting "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver"! I love those shows. :lol: Ward's subtle humour is great, and Eddie Haskell still makes me laugh. And Princess from "Father Knows Best"...oooh...Elinor Donahue was such a hottie!! Andy Taylor was crazy in la cabeza to dump her! :eek:

One of my favorite clips here ----> This Coffee Sucks!

J

jim48

I wish I had my Munsters lunchbox from the '60s. I also had Fireball XL-5. And Lost in Space. Those had to make due. 6 years in elementary school and three new lunch boxes. Not bad. We weren't rich. If I had to hazard a guess I would say the Fester was either a not-entirely-successful experiment or a mutation of some kind, or both. Neither The Munsters nor The Addams Family were very successful in prime-time. They only ran two seasons, but because tv seasons were much longer back then--32 shows a year--they have been far more popular in re-runs for decades! Like Gilligan's Island or F-Troop. Addams Family was lucky to get the cast it did, for they clearly enjoyed playing those characters, particularly John Astin and Jackie Coogan.

D

docm

Wiki article.....

>
In the original sitcom of the 1960s, Fester is said to be Morticia Addams's maternal uncle, but in all other filmed and animated content he is Gomez Addams's brother, making him uncle to Wednesday and Pugsley. He is known as "Tío Lucas" in Spanish-speaking countries. In Brazil, he has two names: "Tio Chico" (original series and cartoon), and "Tio Funéreo" (movies).

• * As revealed in a 1977 New Yorker retrospective on Charles Addams, Fester was the avatar Addams chose to represent himself.

* Uncle Fester is also the name used by a member of the nationally-syndicated radio show The MJ Morning Show.

* In the 1965 book The Addams Family by Jack Sharkey, there is a chapter titled "From Here to Perplexity," in which Fester gets drafted. He turns the induction center upside down, when they discover that, among other things, he served in the American Civil War, has orange marmalade in his veins, electronic circuitry on his skin, no fingerprints on his fingers; and he is weightless.

* "Uncle Fester" is cockney rhyming slang for 'child molester'.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Aha! No fingerprints on his fingers! Now we're getting somewhere. :lol:

D

doom_shepherd

The Adamses are a family of extreme weirdos.

They do not actually epitomize any specific supernatural beings. They're just extraordinarily creepy people with a variety of unearthly powers. Like Fester being able to light a lightbulb in his mouth.

It was the Munsters who were actually various typical "monsters."

Status
Not open for further replies.