Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasonpply

Hi me again that guy with all the stupid questions.(just like keeping you all busy lol) anyways was wondering what time of year is the andromeda galaxy visible in the night sky in the northern hemisphere??? I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Also is it visible in high light pollution or naked eye. or should i take my scope down the cabin for that weekend????? thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

M

MeteorWayne

It's easiest to see during the summer. It is visible with the unaided eye in dark skies. I can even see it from here in NJ, which isn't exactly the darkest place in the world. You'll have to learn a few constellations to find it, though :) It is of course in the constellation Andromeda, right next to the "Great Square" of Pegasus. Right now, it's too close to the sun to see.

D

dragon04

MeteorWayne":1cwym4yq said:
It's easiest to see during the summer. It is visible with the unaided eye in dark skies. I can even see it from here in NJ, which isn't exactly the darkest place in the world. You'll have to learn a few constellations to find it, though :) It is of course in the constellation Andromeda, right next to the "Great Square" of Pegasus. Right now, it's too close to the sun to see.

I've also found that learning the art of "not looking at objects directly" was a great help for me to see M31 with the naked eye.

M

MeteorWayne

Good point dragon; I figured I'd mention that a bit later in the year when it is visible.

J

jasonpply

by what do you mean not look directly????? like look out at the corner of your eye?? or use periphial??????

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, it's called averted vision. The center of your field of view is populated by receptors called cones. They catch the most detail, and can do color vision, but they require a lot of photons (i.e. light) to work. If you look a bit off to the side, the eyes receptors are called rods, which do not detect color, but require a lot less photons (i.e. light) to detect an image. So the idea is to not look directly at faint obects, but look a little bit away, which will allow the rods (as in Rod Stewart) to respond to the fainter photon flux.
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.