Any ideas what I should try next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doc3170

<p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Wow, I had such success viewing last night I decided I had to share : )<span>&nbsp; </span>I&rsquo;m still new to astronomy.<span>&nbsp; </span>In December a relative with good intentions bought me a &ldquo;trash&rdquo; scope.<span>&nbsp; </span>It did OK though, it gave me something to use while I was agonizing over which scope to buy.<span>&nbsp; </span>The little 60mm had no finder scope, I had to just view down the scope to the general area & then Scan around until I find what I was looking for.<span>&nbsp; </span>It&rsquo;s not a very good method.<span>&nbsp; </span>I would usually pick 2-3 targets & I was doing good if I found 1.<span>&nbsp; </span>Sometimes I would stumble on to something accidentally & I&rsquo;d have to run to Stary Night to figure out what I found.<span>&nbsp; </span></font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I finally decided to buy the XT8C.<span>&nbsp; </span>It arrived about 10 days ago.<span>&nbsp; </span>I had even LESS success finding targets with my new scope.<span>&nbsp; </span>The Right Angle finder scope it came with made it just almost impossible to navigate.<span>&nbsp; </span>I upgraded it to Orion&rsquo;s EZ Finder Deluxe.<span>&nbsp; </span></font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=finder_scopes/~pcategory=accessories/~product_id=07227</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Last night was my first night out with the new EZ finder, man it was amazing.<span>&nbsp; </span>Using that finder along with S&T&rsquo;s Pocket Sky Atlas I found 15 targets.<span>&nbsp; </span>I hadn&rsquo;t originally picked out that many, but I was doing so well I picked target&rsquo;s off the atlas while I was out.<span>&nbsp; </span></font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I found M4, M54, M70, 6652(NGC?), M69, M8, M22, M20.<span>&nbsp; </span>Albireo Double, Epsilon Lyra Double/Double, & M57.<span>&nbsp; </span>Mizar/Alcor Double, & M51.<span>&nbsp; </span>As well as M13 & M92 in Hercules.<span>&nbsp; </span>I used Jupiter to &ldquo;fine tune&rdquo; the laser finder.<span>&nbsp; </span>It worked quite well. </font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I was unable to find M101, & M103.<span>&nbsp; </span>That was probably due to being tired after hours of viewing, or my suburban backyard site isn&rsquo;t dark enough.<span>&nbsp; </span>M51 for example was a difficult target.<span>&nbsp; </span>In my scope it was a Dim double smudge.<span>&nbsp; </span>I think I had it in my scope & didn&rsquo;t see it right away.<span>&nbsp; </span></font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I&rsquo;m not used to so much success at once.<span>&nbsp; </span>I&rsquo;m not sure what to do next.<span>&nbsp; </span>Suggestions?<span>&nbsp; </span>I know I&rsquo;ll go back & view many of these objects again & again.<span>&nbsp; </span>I targeted many of these objects a 2<sup>nd</sup> & sometimes a 3<sup>rd</sup> time.<span>&nbsp; </span>M8, & M22 for example were viewed three times and M51 & M57 twice.<span>&nbsp; </span>I guess I&rsquo;ll look for a better local dark site.<span>&nbsp; </span>Maybe I should get a book on the Messier Catalog.<span>&nbsp; </span></font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Many thanks to those who have posted so many good tips already & Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips as to what I should try to do next.<span>&nbsp; </span></font></font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin:0in0in0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Olie</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

doc3170

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>SAC here in Phoenix has got some great lists. http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/Things-to-view.htmThe&quot;Urban List" is a list of objects viewable from Phoenix so should be viewable from any other urban area. (Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US)&nbsp;The lists should keep you busy for awhile lol <br />Posted by tfwthom</DIV></p><p><font size="3">Good Site.&nbsp; Thanks : )</font></p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

doc3170

<p><font size="2">HEHE, I've been anxious to get back out; but it looks like this will be the 3rd cloudy night in a row.&nbsp; </font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts