Are the Planets moving away from the Sun?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spookikiwi

so, the southern hemisphere is closest to the sun during perihelion, allowing it to be warmer, because there is less land mass in the south, but then as stated by saiph, the earth is warmer during perihelion, so shouldnt the southern hemisphere be in summer during this cycle as to allow it to be warmer as it needs the extra heat because its missing the land mass (try tell north aussie they need more heat,lol)<br /><br />so, which hemisphere is in summer during perihelion & winter in apahelion?

N

nexium

Using the 147 million and 152 million distances, the 5 million difference is 3 1/3% of the mean distance from the sun. Squared the heat difference should be 10% due to eccentricity.<br />The tilt on Earth's axis, makes very little difference at the eqauator, perhaps 10% at 20 degrees lattitude, 10,000% ? at the poles. I don't know how to calculate the mean energy difference at the top of our atmosphere, but I will guess, less than 50% = more, but perhaps not lots more than the effect of the eccentricity.<br />As others have posted the energy differences are delayed by the atmosphere, but I'm feeling some doubt that we have the explanation correct. Neil

M

MeteorWayne

It is summer in the southern hemisphere at perihelion (Junuary 2 2350 UT next year), and it is winter in the southern hemisphere at aphelion (July 4 2008 0740 UT)<br /><br />Summer and winter have nothing to do with perihelion and aphelion, and are only driven by the 23 1/2 degree tilt of the earth's axi of rotation. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

astroguard

eagledare asked:<br /> <br /><i># I saw on a web site that Earth's orbit is getting longer<br /># with almost 50 meters every year. Is it true?</i><br /> <br />That's the result from calculation of the effect of solar tidal friction, which is transferring rotational momentum to Earth from the Sun. Whether it's true depends upon the accuracy of the assumptions made in the calculation, and upon the contribution of other effects, such as those mentioned by vogon13.

Status
Not open for further replies.