Ares 1X launch Oct 27th

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Fox News gaffes:

The probe cover lanyard was "used to stabilize the rocket" ROFL...

ARES will be launched into a "very low orbit"..ummm a 28 mile max altitude is called suborbital ;)

"Launch scrubbed due to lightning"

No it was scrubbed due to the triboelectrification rule, which is NOT lightning.

from NASA:

The skies look clear except for some high clouds, there’s no rain in the immediate forecast, so why might a rocket not launch? The answer is something called triboelectrification.

While this isn’t a word you encounter every day, you might experience it if you walk across a dry carpet or brush up against a cat and then touch a metal surface: it’s static.

In the case of Ares I-X, flying through high-level clouds can generate “P-static” (P for precipitation), which can create a corona of static around the rocket that interferes with radio signals sent by or to the rocket. This would create problems when the rocket tries to transmit data down to the ground or if the Range Safety Officer at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station needed to send a signal to the flight termination system. Until the 45th Space Wing and observer aircraft indicate that the skies are clear, Ares I-X will wait them out.

T

Testing

I want three decimal points on the scrub post time. See ya'll tomorrow at 0850 EDT.

J

js117

This is the link to the mission status page.
From nasaspaceflight.com

http://countdown.ksc.nasa.gov/elv/

C

CalliArcale

MeteorWayne":2b75wdbq said:
ARES will be launched into a "very low orbit"..ummm a 28 mile max altitude is called suborbital

Nitpick: technically, it's the velocity (equivalent of Mach 4.7) that makes it suborbital. ;-) (Though 28 miles wouldn't stay up long in any case; too much drag.)

B

bluegrassgazer

CalliArcale":luxxiy4m said:
MeteorWayne":luxxiy4m said:
ARES will be launched into a "very low orbit"..ummm a 28 mile max altitude is called suborbital

Nitpick: technically, it's the velocity (equivalent of Mach 4.7) that makes it suborbital. ;-) (Though 28 miles wouldn't stay up long in any case; too much drag.)

The media really show their ignorance in times like these. I heard things like, "Nasa had to scrub the first flight of their new moon rocket today..." I just shake my head.

http://www.spacevidcast.com/live/?ares-launch apparently will have live HD streaming of the launch on Wednesday.

D

docm

MeteorWayne":zq2552lj said:
Fox News gaffes:
Not just Fox MW....coverage on the other networks, in print and the web was just as bad or worse. In case you haven't noticed journalism school ain't what it used to be.

Problem is none, and I mean NONE, of the news organizations have someone the quality of Walter Cronkite (CBS), Frank McGee (NBC) or especially Jules Bergman (ABC) covering science issues anymore.

Bergman taught me more science than some of my science teachers :p

A few knowledgeable folks make it on the air from time to time, but nowhere near as often as the subject deserves.

M

mrmorris

Does anyone know if the triboelectrification rule is *just* for this test (presumably to ensure they get 100% of their test data back), or if the Ares is always going to have this launch constraint. If Ares is never going to be able to launch when there's clouds... in Florida... then it's going to have a serious problem ever making it off the ground -- especially as real missions won't have a four-hour launch window.

C

CalliArcale

I think it's just for this heavily-instrumented launch. Electric shock could degrade the quality of the data they get, and that data is the whole point of the flight. But I trust someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

Launch time is now 11AM EDT. And by an amazing coincidence, my 10AM (CDT) meeting has just been cancelled! Yay! I shouldn't be happy; it's canceled because the lead is sick. But this gives me a better shot at getting to see the live broadcast.

(Of course, that means it surely won't fly, right? Murphy is strong.)

M

MeteorWayne

Yes, from what I understand this rule is just for the test flights.

C

CalliArcale

I understand now that it's a concern about disruptions in communication, which could cause problems if it happens when things go seriously wrong and they need to destroy the vehicle. It's not clear whether Ares 1X is really that sensitive to triboelectrification, but presumably this flight will help answer that question. This is, after all, a brand new vehicle.

Everybody is GO!!!! Even weather! There is some concern about cirrus clouds possibly moving in, but at the moment it's okay.

M

MeteorWayne

CalliArcale":1i3qry3q said:
I understand now that it's a concern about disruptions in communication, which could cause problems if it happens when things go seriously wrong and they need to destroy the vehicle. It's not clear whether Ares 1X is really that sensitive to triboelectrification, but presumably this flight will help answer that question. This is, after all, a brand new vehicle.

Everybody is GO!!!! Even weather! There is some concern about cirrus clouds possibly moving in, but at the moment it's okay.

Yes, Calli, from what i recall, you are right.

And of course, right on cue, the range is RED for Triboelectrifcation, so it looks thike the 11 AM EDT launch is delayed.
They haven't officially extended the hold yet.

C

CalliArcale

I think it was go for triboelectrification for about five minutes. :p

EDIT: They've now said 1508 GMT, so a little more delay.

E

Eman_3

triboelectrification = The production of electrostatic charges by friction.
And a rocket has the potential to generate a ton of that. All that hot exhaust leaving the nozzle could be generating a lot of static, which could affect range safety destruct commands, and the data collection which is what this launch is all about.

T

thermionic

It's striking not to see all the cryo steam around the rocket for once. It's ready to go, just standing there quiet as can be. Best luck to the team! /jd

M

MeteorWayne

I must admit I am a bit confused now. Is the Ares more susceptable to this (Triboelectrification)? I've never heard the word used on any other launch vehicle as far as range safety is concerened. If this is a charachteristic of the design, that's a BIG problem. SInce that's not directly related to the mission of this test flight, I will start a thread in Space Business and Technology to discuss it.

C

CalliArcale

It's a good question; I suspect that the design of the final vehicle will incorporate appropriate shielding such that this isn't a problem. I understand there are several ways to skin that particular cat, engineering-wise. I will look forward to seeing what more knowledgeable folks have to say in the SB&T thread.

They're looking at 1520 now. They're reporting not just clouds but also a drifting airliner contrail which *might* cause an issue.

EDIT: Correction: 1530, but they expect conditions to go green at 1520.

C

CalliArcale

GO!!!!

Ground crews are evacuating the pad.

Countdown about to resume at T-4 minutes!

C

CalliArcale

Countdown has resumed; weather aircraft has vacated the area. Safe-and-arm device is rotating to the "arm" position.

C

CalliArcale

Vehicle on internal power.

Instrumentation activated.

Flight control system enabled.

T-90 seconds.

R

robotical

Any word on whether or not it made it to its designated altitude? I didn't have audio.

T

thermionic

Lovely! 2nd stage sure went sideways quick after separation! Hope the real one does better...

I wish the rocket images continued after that. Bunch of happy engineers on TV now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts