Ask the Astronomer

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I once talked to a FEMA dispatcher who had manned the phones after the Northride CA earthquake.&nbsp; She told me she got tons of calls from pretty panicky people about the lights in the sky and was there a really bad fire nearby etc, etc.Took them about a half hour to figure out all these people were seeing the profusion of stars for the first time, and weren't realizing that the sky should look like that. <br />Posted by Saiph</DIV></p><p>That is hysterical.</p><p>The light pollution here at the house is not good.&nbsp; But when I hunt with my buddy about 150 miles south of here, we get zero light pollution at the camp (his cabin) once we turn the lights out.&nbsp; That sky is a lot different from a city sky.&nbsp; It makes you appreciate the moon also -- with a moonless sky it is DARK.&nbsp; That is terrific for looking at the sky (unfortunately we don't have much time to spend gazing, since we go to bed early and get&nbsp;up early) but it makes carrying a flashlight pretty much mandatory too&nbsp; (rocks, logs, lions, bears).&nbsp; Light pollution deprives people of understanding what dark really is, both on the ground and above us.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That is hysterical.The light pollution here at the house is not good.&nbsp; But when I hunt with my buddy about 150 miles south of here, we get zero light pollution at the camp (his cabin) once we turn the lights out.&nbsp; That sky is a lot different from a city sky.&nbsp; It makes you appreciate the moon also -- with a moonless sky it is DARK.&nbsp; That is terrific for looking at the sky (unfortunately we don't have much time to spend gazing, since we go to bed early and get&nbsp;up early) but it makes carrying a flashlight pretty much mandatory too&nbsp; (rocks, logs, lions, bears).&nbsp; Light pollution deprives people of understanding what dark really is, both on the ground and above us.&nbsp; <br />Posted by <strong>DrRocket</strong></DIV><br /><br />Funny how people don't know how dark it can be. Then again ....</p><p>So myself and the guys&nbsp; (some many, many years ago) go to one of the groups camp in the Me woods for a "MBWE".&nbsp; Basically it was drinking and being goofy in the woods. Now his camp is really that.&nbsp; No running water, though you can pump it from the well.&nbsp; Out house out back and lighting only in the main cabin.&nbsp; So after a few beers I retire to my berth in one of the out cabins.&nbsp; Flashlight in hand I make it into the sleeping bag w/o problems.&nbsp; Of course since beer is only rented, a few hours later I wander outside to the nearest tree to return my rental.&nbsp; Out the door and "straight" I went until I found the return counter.&nbsp; Couldn't have been more than 50ft.&nbsp; Alas it was a moonless night and I had forgotten my flashlight.&nbsp; Through the trees the skyglow wasn't useful in any way and ... well ... it took me a while to find&nbsp;my way back to the cabin.&nbsp; Dark ..... oh yeah I can appreciate dark !</p><p>At our camp in NH, it's "OK dark" but still you can see the glow in the sky from the city 10 miles distant.&nbsp; That and all the people who leave their lights on down by their docks.&nbsp; Pisses me off both as a sky observer and night boater. </p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.