Astronomy has a bullying and harassment issue: 'Results presented in this report are bleak

I think this problem permeates throughout our society. There is almost a tension between Discipline and Controlling power. The controlling power can be atrophied and discipline overdone. The anarchic tendencies can get the upper hand. Nothing unusual in the field of Astronomy is worse than elsewhere. Nevertheless, it is a problem.
As for sexual harassment, no comment is necessary.

"one person who bullied me is on the committee in charge of upholding the code of conduct"

There's the problem right there. Spineless managers often delegate distasteful tasks to a committee. The boss is no longer responsible, the committee has no real power, nothing gets done, everyone's backside is covered. Only the employees suffer.
Same thing happens when a person is appointed safety manager and reports directly to the CEO. Now that there is someone at such a high level in charge, we don't have to do anything at the lower level.
Conduct codes, safety are managed locally by principles established at the highest level. No "special committees" Or "special managers" needed.
Compliance falls within the disciplinary system, which should establish clear boundaries, be stepwise and well documented.

Reactions: Gibsense
The higher levels of academia/science are now being populated by people who grew up with social media. Such media gives a planet wide microphone to every kid, has no accountability and results in dysfunctional adults. We are currently in a crisis, our latest generation unable to function interpersonally. They and their children have a brutal life ahead of them.

The higher levels of academia/science are now being populated by people who grew up with social media. Such media gives a planet wide microphone to every kid, has no accountability and results in dysfunctional adults. We are currently in a crisis, our latest generation unable to function interpersonally. They and their children have a brutal life ahead of them.
I am a bit more hopeful but surely it is much tougher on the young now. Yesterday I was told what was the truth. I accepted it as I was taught to do. We referenced decisions to the principles we were given. No problem.
Today the truth is uncertain. We are not taught principles that all cultures accept. Confusion is rife. But, maybe, just maybe, the young can cope and discern truth by trial and error and have more resilience than we give credit for.
Hope is eternal

Reactions: Cdr. Shepard
There is definitely a problem with bullying in most of society, these days.

Much of that has to do with loss of punishments for misbehaviors. And, that applies to both the criminals on the streets and the bullies in schools as well as the bullies in corporate and political organizations. It seems to begin in the homes of people when they are children, but can come about from both extremes of lack of discipline to discipline that is itself bullying.

That said, it is still hard to figure out how much of articles like this is about real bullying, because "victimhood" has also become a path to "success" in many organizations where there is an attempt to deal with bullying.

I have found bullies of all sexes/genders, races, religions, social statuses, etc. etc.

And, I have seen all sorts of bullying claims that were completely bogus.

I have even seen bullies claim to be victims.