Audible.com ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swampcat

Is anybody else getting full page ads for Audible.com when they click on the login link?

I see the login page come up and then immediately I get an ad for an Audiobook player.

It's happened twice in the past 24 hours, which means every time I've had to login here. If this is something SDC is doing, I sure wish they'd stop. It's annoying enough to have to login so often, much less deal with a full page ad when I do.

S

Swampcat

It happened again this morning :x

I guess something out there doesn't want me coming here.

D

doublehelix

It happened to me this morning. Thanks for posting about this, guys. I'll ask what's up, with the product manager.

-dh

D

doublehelix

Thanks! The product manager sent this report to our ad people yesterday.

It did not happen to me today, tho.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

:?:

-dh

S

Swampcat

Oh well...another day, another strike against SDC. Audible.com struck again today.

Here's a view of the full page ad that the login page is redirecting me to:

And a broken script that hangs SDC about every time I come here:

I really don't understand how this site expects to remain viable by running the kind of ad campaigns I've seen here. The ads are too intrusive and seem to be the point of this site, not the content.

I think I come here now more out of habit and familiarity than enjoyment. I've been lurking at the "other well known space forum" and, though I'm not really all that happy with it, at least I'm not bothered by login and ad issues. I find myself spending more time there as these issues continue here at SDC.

If this is the result of the new ownership and an indication of their direction for this site, this place is doomed to having wave after wave of low post count members slipping in here for a look-see and then not coming back. I just don't see the ownership, at this point, putting much effort into keeping this forum viable. :(

I'll probably keep coming here some, but at this point it's like watching the slow death of an old friend. When will the suffering end?

D

doublehelix

Yes, the Audible ad got me, too. I'm going to bug the product manager again. I think I saw that Audible ad as the banner on the login screen this time - of course, when I tried to get it to load after 20 minutes of trying, I gave up because it just wasn't happening. I wonder if simply mousing over causes the takeover? I'm going to ask.

I'm going to forward on the script hang up business, too. I know how frustrating that can be - happens to me on some websites and it makes me want to tear my hair out. When do you see the script, usually? Right after logging in? Other times? That information will be a real help when I bring it up. Also, please remind me which Windows OS you are using these days. Thanks.

My apologies for all the frustration you've been feeling, Swampcat. I'll do what I can to help.

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

I did not experience the audible ad when I logged in today.

I did however have to log in twice for the "e-mail password combination does not exist"

No script hang ups.

S

Swampcat

dh, I'm using Firefox 3.5.5.

The script hang-up is definitely ad related. This last one was from ad.doubleclick.net.

I want to point out that both the script and the audible.com redirect only seems to happen once during the day. Usually, once I've been here the first time for the day, I don't have any more problems the rest of the day.

Thanks for keeping me informed on this. And I'm sorry you're having problems as well.

D

doublehelix

Very helpful info, Swampcat. I've just sent the text of your post and links to the screenshots to our product manager. We think it's coming in on a remnant ad network and are working to get it out of our and your hair.

Thanks for the words of sympathy, too. I totally get how $%*#*@(%^$! frustrating it can be!

-dh

S

Swampcat

dh, audible.com and the script got me again this morning.

This script is from partner.googleadservices.com.

You know, I think the audible.com thing might be solved by fixing the login so I don't have to login everyday ;)

S

Swampcat

I haven't seen the script today, but the audible.com full page redirect happened again.

M

MeteorWayne

Swampcat":1t66s140 said:
MeteorWayne":1t66s140 said:
It's really odd, I have never seen this ad.

How often do you have to login? That's when it shows up.

Not that often, I probably average once every other day or so.

S

Swampcat

MeteorWayne":2pvskby3 said:
Not that often, I probably average once every other day or so.

Well, it's getting to the point where I have to login pretty much every time I come here. If I shut down my computer, it's about a 80% chance that I'll have to login again. I've had to login three times today and each time I've been redirected to the audible.com ad.

Again, I don't have to repeatedly login at other sites that I visit regularly.

M

MeteorWayne

If I have to reboot my pooter, that is when I have to log in again.

Otherwise, I don't have to.

D

doublehelix

I noticed something particular this morning about the Audible.com ad, and showed the product manager promptly - it behaves like no ad I've ever seen before and it may very well be a programming issue with this one ad. She has contacted the ad people with this new info and I am hopeful that it will be resolved soon. Thank you for your patience!

UPDATE: I just got word from the product manager that they removed the Audible.com ad from the login page. The login page was calling the ad regardless of mouse location, which is highly funky. Swampcat and others, please let me know if you run into it again.

-dh

S

Swampcat

Hey, dh, that's good to hear.

After work today, I turned on my computer and didn't have to login to the board :D

Which means I wouldn't have seen the audible.com ad anyway. As long as I don't have to login I'm good. And I haven't seen the script for a couple of days.

S

Swampcat

The good news...I didn't get the audible.com ad when I had to login this morning :)

The bad news...I had to login again this morning :(

More bad news...the script got me again. I probably should start another thread for that one.

D

doublehelix

Swampcat":pnwpbexp said:
Which means I wouldn't have seen the audible.com ad anyway. As long as I don't have to login I'm good. And I haven't seen the script for a couple of days.

Awesome, man! Glad to hear things have improved on that level.

-dh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts