Avatar sequel(s): any story suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FictionBecomesFact

After grossing nearly $3 billion worldwide in cinemas:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Avatar's rights-holders are considering making a sequel ONLY IF IT CAN BE AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100314/lf_ ... s_avatar_2

That's no easy task, but let's not forget that James Cameron helped make Terminator 2, and also Aliens (2). Those films have their detractors but both were box office successes.

That said, what do you think are some of the situations that might arise in such a potential sequel to Avatar? I'd like to take a few swings:

*Earthlings seek to return to Pandora, in part because life on (reportedly non-green) Earth continues to deteriorate. :(

*At the very least, Earthlings realize that there's still economic opportunity in Pandora's herbal riches, while Unobtanium's value has headed anywhere but South since the uprising.

*What defense does Pandora have against Earthlings who seek to "gas" or otherwise terraform the place so that they won't need to wear oxygen masks any longer?

*Granted, Jake Sulley's not eager to allow additional Earthlings to return after he inadvertently helped some figure out how to kill Neytiri's father years before (making him permanently suspect among the Na'Vi). But what if Jake discovers a trace of cellulite on Neytiri and worries that there's a growing potential need for a plastic surgeon from Hollywood to come and rescue Pandora's best asset? :lol:

*Seriously though, how do we know Jake's cloned avatar (his only remaining body at this point) was designed to last for more than a few years? Replicative fading is one of the problems cloned entities face, and the science of fusing human DNA with that of Na'Vi wasn't exactly perfected when Jake's Avatar was created. Nobody thought he'd become a permanent occupant, after all. :? So Jake really may be forced to allow some humans to return to Pandora in exchange for their medical support. That opens a Pandora's box in terms of interspecies relations...especially when humans he'd originally allowed to remain on Pandora grow somewhat nostalgic for folks of their own kind & culture (which happens to many after half a decade or so of living abroad).

*Meanwhile, as happened with Spain after finally repelling the Moors during the 1400's and then conquering Latin America, the colonized Na'Vi may eventually become the exploring, spacefaring aspiring conquerors. Some Na'Vi may very well want to "return the goodwill" reciprocally to Earth, whose people killed so many Na'Vi and even destroyed Hometree. :twisted: Worse still, one of the major Na'Vi clans is now headed by someone who is part human, and others wouldn't mind snatching away Jake's power & influence, in ways that becoming war-lords can make possible.

*James Cameron might even appease the political Right this time around, by including dialogue tying the Na'Vi's retalliation to the aggressiveness of the modern day "politically correct" movement here on Earth, which is used by some to parasitically oppress others while using past injustices as justification. He may even make some Earth-born colonists seem sympathetic by throwing in how they desperately seek to relocate to Pandora because it's a tax haven, like 21st Century ones featured at http://www.LowTax.net . ;) Just as the U.S.A. was colonized in part by Puritans and Quakers, Pandora could be colonized by Tea Partiers who refer to the economic malaise back on their home planet which resulted from a plague of ever-increasing taxes and governmental debts. :idea: Such Tea Partiers could wind up in intense debate with other colonists on Pandora who seek to impose a cap & trade tax on Pandora too, thereby alleviating Earth's competitive disadvantage in the production of goods & services. Even the Na'Vi could feel politically irked enough to chime in once tax-hugging activists try and encourage the Na'Vi's dragon fleet to form labor unions and demand community property rights from their lifelong riders. :shock:

It's easy to say "leave well enough alone and make no sequels" but that didn't stop more movies from being made in the Terminator and Alien series, and commercially successfully so. James Cameron even had an interest in the Planet of the Apes reimagining before Tim Burton took over, and incidentally Fox is now working on a prequel called something like Caesar: Rise of the Apes:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17224

Successful movies spawn sequels when feasible, and Avatar likely will even as Independence Day didn't (but still might, according to rumors at Fox). The better Avatar sequel ideas fans can come up with, the greater the likelihood that Avatar's future will be bright, not bleak like Poltergeist's or Crocodile Dundee's. :roll:

:?: So what do YOU think might happen in Avatar sequels that could somehow live up to the original, if that's even possible?

Y

yevaud

doodle-big.jpg

K

kelvinzero

You could just base a sequel in the same universe, and create an entirely new world.

If you want some connection to the old, you could move history on a bit, peace between the old worlds with avatars passed in both directions. The hero and pandorian heroine of the first movie could wear human avatars perhaps to aid a mission to this strange new world.

S

Solifugae

Some tentacled Cthulu space horror comes and starts devouring the Navi world. The Navi beg the humans for help. The humans go lol no wtf. Cthulu eats Pandora, and then comes to Earth and eats Earth. Everybody dies. The End.

And James Cameron makes eleventy schmillion more dollars.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Solifugae":2zcx84fa said:
Some tentacled Cthulu space horror comes and starts devouring the Navi world. The Navi beg the humans for help. The humans go lol no wtf. Cthulu eats Pandora, and then comes to Earth and eats Earth. Everybody dies. The End.

And James Cameron makes eleventy schmillion more dollars.

:) Cameron really is a hack of sorts.

His stories are soooo common denominator.

F

FictionBecomesFact

While some might say Cameron's Avatar was "so common denominator", others can see the silver lining and credit him for generating a massive interest in topics that otherwise aren't nearly as popular, such as space exploration, indigenous rights, the value of nature, and the importance of diplomacy, self-reliance and courage.

A

a_lost_packet_

I haven't seen the movie yet.

But, from what I gather, most "in the know" don't believe it's anything special. It's a standard entertainment piece with lots of action and special effects and doesn't do anything particularly interesting. IOW, a few hours of "eye candy" and that's about it.

I'll watch it with an open mind and pay attention to the special effects to see what I can see. But, I don't expect to be "blown away" by anything.

As far as hopes of a sequel, I don't see how they could reasonably be expected to do one. Avatar appeared to come into its own on a hype-storm of special effects and 3D wizardry. A "sequel" sort of needs more of a storyline to it that people are interested in. Then again, I haven't seen it so... I am not making comments from a knowledgeable position.

F

FictionBecomesFact

There are those who will claim that Avatar warrants no sequel, citing to the recent Oscars results. Many of Avatar's detractors hate that movie because it advocates that victims win others over to their cause and behave courageously, rather than whine and hold their hands out for others' tax dollars. As if the Hollywood establishment would back such a movie and thereby risk the ire of their key constituents, namely government handout recipients who have nothing better to do than watch lots of films, and their bureaucrat political allies who "earn" a living by funneling our tax dollars to them [with sticky fingers] or by determining which copyrights the government enforces, which studios receive tax incentives, and which ones receive fines for alleged indecency so they'll have more revenues with which to fund expanding the size and role of the government that employs them? :roll: Doesn't military commander Quaritch potentially remind one of the USA's Internal Revenue Service, which didn't event exist a century ago?

Personally I would like to see a sequel to Avatar. :cool: If anyone else here would, too, what story guideline would you tend to recommend?

N

neuvik

House Steiner keeps to its combat doctrine of having second rate Mech pilots but with the advantage of investing heavily in to its space faring fleets. With clear orbital superiority they bombard the planet that already has a hostile atmosphere to a charred moonscape. Following the confusion of having their population centers nuked the horrible blue space liberals fight for survival; although hopeless, it makes for a more realistic outcome as their primitive rag tag bands of survivors are systematically cleansed by advancing mechanized Lace formations.

A

a_lost_packet_

neuvik":1g41upre said:
House Steiner keeps to its combat doctrine of having second rate Mech pilots but with the advantage of investing heavily in to its space faring fleets. With clear orbital superiority they bombard the planet that already has a hostile atmosphere to a charred moonscape. Following the confusion of having their population centers nuked the horrible blue space liberals fight for survival; although hopeless, it makes for a more realistic outcome as their primitive rag tag bands of survivors are systematically cleansed by advancing mechanized Lace formations.

CLAN WOLF WILL CRUSH THE FREEBIRTH SCUM!

Clan_Wolf_Banner.png

C

Couerl

It's too bad they're making a sequel when there are so many hundreds of stories, far better than this pile of crap that could be done with class.

C

CalliArcale

Hmmm.....

The Water Nation, led by Katara, decide to make up for the oppression of the Fire Nation and wipe it from the face of the Earth. Aang, the eponymous Avatar, is busy rebuilding the Air Nomads and does not realize until it is too late. Though once his friend, Katara betrays him, driven by a newfound rage against the Fire Nation. The Earth Nation, meanwhile, tries to intercede while also sending messengers to try and contact the Avatar, who . . .

Ohhhhh, the *other* Avatar.

Sorry.

:p

Z

ZenGalacticore

FictionBecomesFact":169asslw said:
While some might say Cameron's Avatar was "so common denominator", others can see the silver lining and credit him for generating a massive interest in topics that otherwise aren't nearly as popular, such as space exploration, indigenous rights, the value of nature, and the importance of diplomacy, self-reliance and courage.

That has nothing to do with being 'common denominator.' 'Cd' just implies the creating of a story that will appeal to widest possible audience, the most people, most of the time.

And don't hold your breath about 'Avatar' being a world-changing event. People don't change because of a movie. They take an emotion home with them for a while, and then it dissipates and they go right back to being and doing whatever they did before.

It's kind of like a kid seeing "Rocky" for the first time, and he gets really into boxing for a couple of weeks. And then loses interest. An anti-environmentalist is not going to be transformed by 'Avatar'. In fact, I talked to one guy who thinks all environmentalists are "tree huggers", and he said in the movie he was rooting for the marines and the corporation. :cry:

Y

yevaud

Couerl":5x0ysi8r said:
It's too bad they're making a sequel when there are so many hundreds of stories, far better than this pile of crap that could be done with class.

I'm with you on this. Avatar may be visually stunning, but it's a ho hum, so-so plot, and there are far superior stories out there.

J

JasonChapman

After the Ewok's moon planet of Endor is destroyed by a new galactic Empire they are forced to wander the galaxy until they find Pandora,

Ewoks Vs Navi 'Battle for Pandora' Hey it can't be any worse than those Alien's Vs Preditor films.

Y

yevaud

JasonChapman":3mt6fi7n said:
After the Ewok's moon planet of Endor is destroyed by a new galactic Empire they are forced to wander the galaxy until they find Pandora,

Ewoks Vs Navi 'Battle for Pandora' Hey it can't be any worse than those Alien's Vs Preditor films.

Hmm. A bunch of eight-foot blue native peacenicks versus small, furry cute guys who say "Gub Gub" all of the time?

I vote for the Empire, who would enslave both, toot sweet.

N

nimbus

I don't understand the fuss over someone blowing a huge chunk of time and money into polishing his simple no-nonsense Joseph Campbellian story (cough star wars cough) into an amazing esthetic piece. Is it because so many people fawn over the movie? In that case the issue is with those fans, not the movie. The movie's fine.
Ray Kurzweil criticized the movie for being anti technology. I don't understand that either. What's anti technology about it? Is it because the "bad guys" use technology? So the tool is guilty because of its user? Another piece of nonsense IMO. Idem with the reverse: naturalism trumps all because the good guys used it?

The only way these criticisms are good is if they're put this way: The movie makers should have hired people to make the characters as kid-friendly/accessible yet richly furnished psychology- and values- wise as are characters from The Incredibles or Aliens vs Monsters.
But then it has to be done in keeping with the simplicity of esthetic purity that Avatar seems to aim for. And there's nothing really wrong with portraying simple people. That's what most people really are like. Those mercs that don't have much to say or do - look around you. There's plenty of people like that in reality. Maybe that's part of what rubs people the wrong way. A movie that dares paint people as the humble, mediocre characters they are. In a "non-actualized" sense.

K

kelvinzero

Although the story may have been little more that Pocahontas with giant basketball playing smurfs, this really ignores the important points that the graphics were very pretty and the heroine had very little on.

Z

ZenGalacticore

kelvinzero":1sfkoc94 said:
Although the story may have been little more that Pocahontas with giant basketball playing smurfs, this really ignores the important points that the graphics were very pretty and the heroine had very little on.

A-freakin'-men! And her waist to ass ratio was quite remarkable! Some type of alien woman, I reckon. :lol:

D

doom_shepherd

FictionBecomesFact":2bz3rdm0 said:
Personally I would like to see a sequel to Avatar. :cool: If anyone else here would, too, what story guideline would you tend to recommend?

Starts off with the humans being long gone. (Lousy humans, they suck.)

Black suited aliens show up (let's call them "the Geshtapi.") and start fragging the Na'vi guys right and left, with no consideration as to who's a combatant or not. (Their motivation? The Geshtapi believe that Pandora used to belong to them (and it did, a billion years ago - not that they did anything with it) and also that anybody not like them is "blasphemy" to their God, Malah.

The Na'vi are forced to call upon their ancient rivals from the next star system over, the technology-using, materialistic, and entirely non-spiritual Oo-stats (AKA the 'Red Devils') for protection.

The Red Devils arrive, and proceed to beat the holy living tar out of the Geshtapi.
The Na'vi complain about how brutal the Oo-stats are being towards the Geshtapi.
Upon hearing this, the Oo-stats respond; "Hey, YOU called US. If you don't like the way we're handling this, you can do it yourselves." Then they leave.

The Geshtapi proceed to wipe out the remaining Na'vi.
Then the Oo-stats return, frag the Geshtapi anyway, and claim the planet for themselves.
fade to black, roll credits. :lol:

I callit "Avatar II: the Even Less Thinly-Veiled Analogy. :twisted:

A

a_lost_packet_

It's out!

THE AVATAR II TRAILER!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dIOw2sffHI[/youtube]

Considering the reports I've heard of Avatar's storyline (which I have yet to see for myself) I think this sequel fits in with Cameron's theme...

Allegations of Cameron's plagiarism-

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/jan/13/james-cameron-avatar-plagarism-claim:rfi10rwl said:
James Cameron rejects claims Avatar epic borrows from Russians' sci-fi novels[/url]":rfi10rwl]

Director James Cameron is facing claims that his 3D blockbuster Avatar owes an unacknowledged debt to the popular Soviet fantasy writers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

It has grossed more than $1.3bn (£800m) worldwide, wowed the critics, and spawned a new generation of fans, the so-called Avatards, who have taken to painting their faces blue....Cinema audiences in Russia have been quick to point out that Avatar has elements in common with The World of Noon, or Noon Universe, a cycle of 10 bestselling science fiction novels written by the Strugatskys in the mid-1960s.

It was the Strugatskys who came up with the planet Pandora – the same name chosen by Cameron for the similarly green and lushly forested planet used as the spectacular backdrop to Avatar. The Noon Universe takes place in the 22nd century. So does Avatar, critics have noticed.

And while there are clear differences between the two Pandoras, both are home to a similarly named bunch of humanoids – the Na'vi in Cameron's epic, and the Nave in Strugatskys' novels, read by generations of Soviet teenagers and space-loving scientists and intellectuals....Cameron has defended himself from accusations that he has borrowed from other writers in the past, a claim made after the release of his Terminator films and Titanic. He insists the idea for Avatar is an original one. He wrote an 80-page screenplay for the film back in 1994....

Z

ZenGalacticore

Cameron 'denied' borrowing from other writers?

Is he serious? He borrows from everybody. Even the character Grace was borrowed from the biologist Dr. What's-her-name from the original 'Andromeda Strain'.

I saw 'Avatar' twice. And while I enjoyed it, it was hard to sit through the second time. (I can't say that for 'Star Wars' and 'Empire Strikes Back', 'Alien' and 'Logan's Run' as I've seen each of those probably 50 times over the years!)

While I've never read the Russian writers mentioned above, 'Nav'ih' and 'Nave'? Come on! The least Cameron could've done was think of a different name. Even the planet name (Pandora) is the same and this guy denies any borrowing?

'Avatar' was Pochahontas meets Dances With Wolves meets Last of the Mohicans meets Fantastic Planet with an apparent general rip-off of these Russian dudes.

He's a hack. (A rich hack, but a hack nonetheless.) But then again, so is George Lucas.

C

CalliArcale

ZenGalacticore":3opfizu3 said:
Is he serious? He borrows from everybody. Even the character Grace was borrowed from the biologist Dr. What's-her-name from the original 'Andromeda Strain'.

With just a smidge of Dian Fossey, I think, an impression not helped by the fact that they had Sigourney Weaver play her.

It's true that Cameron steals from everybody. But then, so do all writers. It's what J. R. R. Tolkien described as the literary cauldron, in his work "On Fairy Tales". Everybody who writes a story pulls stuff out of the cauldron, knowingly or otherwise, and reworks it to produce a new story. That new story goes back into the cauldron, and other writers will later take bits of it out along with other stuff.

I would not be terribly surprised if the similarities were coincidental; for all that many people lauded it as a remarkable new movie, it's loaded with archetypes. That's not a bad thing, really. And Pandora? The name is about as inventive as Unobtainium -- it's the name of a mythical woman (the first woman, actually) who was created as part of the punishment for mankind's theft of fire from the gods. (Yes, the ancient Greeks believed women were created by the gods specifically to punish men. It was a pretty misogynistic society, despite the number of prominent goddesses.) The gods also gave her a jar or box, which, out of curiosity, she opened. Inside it were all the evils of the world -- plague, old age, famine, war, etc. When she closed it up again, all that remained inside the box was hope.

So if you name a planet or moon Pandora (and this is far from the first or even second world to be named Pandora in a work of science fiction), you're saying that it looks beautiful but hides a great deal of danger and could possibly be your undoing.

BTW, I looked up the Noon Universe on Wikipedia. Assuming the Wikipedia article is accurate, the Pandora in that universe is a minor location and has no local sentient species. It's basically a resort world, where tourists travel to hunt the large and vicious native wildlife, often losing their lives in the process. So it's similar in that both Pandoras are beautiful and have big scary beasts that can do serious harm to you, but given that the name is "Pandora" I'm not sure that should really be surprising.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Yeah baby. I'm aware of Pandora and her hot little box. ;)

And those Greeks in that age were definitely ambivalent about women. But then again, so was Paul of Tarsus.

To this day, to say we men are mystified about women is an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts