Bigelow Thinks Big, Plans Lunar Cruise Ship

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boris_Badenov

Here are some more. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

Full size models <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

Nautilus Interior <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

Nautilus Simulator <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

M

mikeemmert

Pretty interesting. There was, of course, the old Echo balloon. Ten stories tall!<br /><br />I could'nt find a description of what Genesis II was supposed to <i>do</i>. It's not manned, right?

G

gunsandrockets

Thanx for the pix!<br /><br />Hmm...spine formed by central open-truss structure made of box beams with lightening holes.<br /><br />From a careful look at the Nautilus interior it does not seem to comport with the Bigelow patent of an offset spine. Though it does match the idea of a spine which unfolds to form the interior decks. Interesting.

G

gunsandrockets

"I think the Genesis I uses it, [offset spine]"<br /><br />I went over to the Bigelow website and took a hard look at some of the interior images from the inflight Genesis I. Best as I could tell it does not seem to have a central spine, so I assume it is using the Bigelow offset spine concept. Interesting.

B

Boris_Badenov

<font color="yellow"> I could'nt find a description of what Genesis II was supposed to do. It's not manned, right? </font><br /><br /> Genesis II is not manned. It is a test bed for technology. <br /> The next module after Genesis II could be man rated. We'll see what his April 9 announcement is. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

D

docm

Another inside shot showing a man for scale. BIG. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

Here's a configuration for a large complex. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

D

docm

Post deleted by Yevaud <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Y

yevaud

I can't approve this image: it's around 400 pixels too wide for the post frame.<br /><br />I'll delete it; please resize it down to no more than, say, 650 wide. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

T

thereiwas

I'm surprised how small the solar panels are, compared to ISS. And the BigelowBalloons hold more people. Is NASA's design that inefficient?

B

Boris_Badenov

That's been brought up before. The answers were;<br /> 1 There is another power source.<br /> 2 This is an artists representation & the solar panels will be larger on the operational unit.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

D

docm

3. they switched to Luxeon V LED lighting panels. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rocketman5000

appears that the offset also allows for convient structure for creating the multiple leves of the module.

J

j05h

<i>> appears that the offset also allows for convient structure for creating the multiple leves of the module.</i><br /><br />Yes. Opening the interior (per patent app) was the original goal of moving the core. As I pointed out, it greatly simplifies laying out planetary facilities as the floor is parallel to the module's skin. It makes for a more familiar layout in orbit (Russian stations have "floor" and "ceiling", too) and might simplify packing of interior elements ( vs TransHab layout). Bigelow Aerospace really is pushing the state of the art.<br /><br />Those old Bigelow graphics are really cool.<br /><br />Josh <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div align="center"><em>We need a first generation of pioneers.</em><br /></div> </div>

S

spacester

4. ISS power requirements are driven by the multiple science racks, and the Bigelow modules don't try to do everything at once. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.