'Bubble curtain' could reduce hurricane intensity in Gulf of Mexico

Seems good, but, now, we’re mixing the energy into the deep ocean. The life down there is accustomed to the environment it has, now we’re giving it our excess heat. What happens when the sea bottom equalizes with the top, no more heat sink. Part of the Gulf Stream and other ocean currents include the cold return currents. I read in Scientific American some years ago that during interglacial periods, the ocean currents were minimal or none and there was no life below 200 meters or so, causing anaerobic conditions and an excess of hydrogen sulfide and other stuff in the atmosphere. Good for making petroleum, but bad for us. We really don’t know what the day to day weather was in those conditions, worse?

Reactions: Helio
Dec 9, 2021
Visit site
As well as the above comment I would add a question. Knowing nature hates a vacuum where will the energy not expended by the hurricane wind up being expended instead? Weather control is a very iffy proposition if I understand many comments made about it in past years.

Reactions: Helio
The bubble concept apparently works by mixing surface water with deep water thereby moving the energy to the deep ocean instead of to the atmosphere, thereby minimizing the tropical storm.

As well as the above comment I would add a question. Knowing nature hates a vacuum where will the energy not expended by the hurricane wind up being expended instead? Weather control is a very iffy proposition if I understand many comments made about it in past years.
Although on the surface (pun intended ;)) this idea looks clever since an increase of a few degrees would make a difference over water, but, to your point, that is adding more energy into the atmospheric system. What could go wrong with that? Kentuckians may find this idea abominable. We would need to have very reliable complex models that would reveal a net positive for everyone, though this may actually be true for fjords, hopefully.

Latest posts