Question Can one infinity be larger than another infinity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
As far as I have learned Maths and Physics, Infinity is something that does not have an end or is literally innumerable. But, the question is, can one infinity be larger than another infinity.?Like, a set of natural numbers is infinite. Same is a set of negative numbers. But, I think that a set of natural numbers should be greater than a set of negative numbers. Because, a set of negative numbers always add up to something negative whereas a set of natural numbers always add up to positive.

I am quite young to say that, but still, can one infinity be greater than another infinity?

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
The Isha Upanishad of the Yajurveda (c. 4th to 3rd century BC) states that "if you remove a part from infinity or add a part to infinity, still what remains is infinity".

Georg Cantor formalized many ideas related to infinity and infinite sets during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In the theory he developed, there are infinite sets of different sizes (called cardinalities). For example, the set of integers is countable infinite, while the set of real numbers is uncountable infinite.

Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
infinity does not have a direction - positive natural numbers progress in one direction towards the infinitely big or large, and negative numbers or the -ve side of integers progress in the other direction towards the infinitely big or large ... now -vity or +vity is only a direction of number progression so the infinitely big one on either side is the same :) only thing is the two infinitely big numbers are opposite to one another so one is called -ve and the other +ve :) and therefore mathematically one is small and other is large ... but actually they are two equal numbers in 2 different opposite routes :)

Reactions: IG2007

IG2007

two times infinity equals to infinity, three times infinity equals to infinity... and so on. Even, infinity times infinity is infinity square equal to infinity. I mean to say, is negative infinity less than positive infinity?

Reactions: Catastrophe
Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
when it comes to infinity it is so far away from being comprehended that it is immaterial whether it is - or + ... but yes, mathematically, on the number line of integers, -infinity < +infinity ... being less does not mean being low in quantity ... (and moreover it is infinite quantity) then, when you change the direction of perception then signs change and this becomes that :)

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Infinity is just a word with no real meaning for us. It is a mathematical invention which is useful (?) in mathematics but no use for anything else.
Play with the word as you will. It is a word with which little or no sense can be made (except in mathematics).

Cat :)

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
so if you wanna be a mathematician in life then it would be very much intriguing and interesting to study infinity :)

" It is a mathematical invention which is useful (?) in mathematics but no use for anything else."
So, you want to be a mathematician - all the best.
I did quite a lot of maths in my chem eng course.

Give me one example where you can use the word (or related adjective etc) in everyday life where it is not just an exaggeration such as "that was infinitely good".

Cat

Reactions: Meteoric Marmot
Feb 7, 2020
Visit site
god pours life into matter to make it living or come to life and man can sometimes not really appreciate it ...

Moderator Caution - Let's not get too G.R.A.P.E.S.y here. Please review the specific rules of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

IG2007

god pours life into matter to make it living or come to life and man can sometimes not really appreciate it ...
We are not talking about God in here. We are talking about infinity. Ok, as far as I understand, | negative infinity | = | positive infinity | and negative infinity < positive infinity. Right?

Reactions: Catastrophe

Wolfshadw

I think Cat came closest.

Infinity is a concept. It's not a value that can be acted upon in mathematics. There is no "Positive Infinity" or "Negative Infinity". You cannot assign value, add to or subtract from infinity. The closest you can get is attempting to divide by zero.

-Wolf sends

IG2007

I think Cat came closest.

Infinity is a concept. It's not a value that can be acted upon in mathematics. There is no "Positive Infinity" or "Negative Infinity". You cannot assign value, add to or subtract from infinity. The closest you can get is attempting to divide by zero.

-Wolf sends
But a set of negative numbers does add up to negative infinity and a set of natural numbers ad up to positive infinity.

Wolfshadw

But a set of negative numbers does add up to negative infinity and a set of natural numbers ad up to positive infinity.

Sorry, but I think you're mistaken here. If you can continue to subtract a value, then you're not starting at infinity and you're not ending at infinity because you can ALWAYS subtract one more. If you can continue to add a value, you're not starting at infinity and you're not ending at infinity because you can ALWAYS add one more.

Again, Infinity is a concept; not a value that can be acted upon.

-Wolf sends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts