Cat Scan of a Planet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kravjar666

So, has it been conceived to put multiple satillite constellations around some moons or planets in order to shot them with appropriate electromagnetic radiation and get a picture of the interior? I know we use seismic and man-made sound waves, but it seems like we could turn our cat-scan technology to work on a large scale.

Developing this technology could help to answer questions we have about the cores of Mars, the Moon, Europa, Enceladus, and the Asteroids.

Thoughts? :roll:

Y

yevaud

Similar, but different utilization. I worked on the TERRIERS satellite project at BU, back in the mid-90's, and it was based on a remote sensing platform that utilized MRI/CAT Scan algorithms for scanning the Ionosphere.

http://www.bu.edu/satellite/mission/overview.html

[TERRIERS: Tomographic Experiment using Radiative Recombinative Ionospheric EUV and Radio Sources. I built the Ground Support Equipment (GSE), and was the Material's Manager, 1995-1996.]

S

SpaceTas

No using any electromagnetic radiation won't work for probing deep beyond say 100 ish km. The signal just gets absorbed.
But there is a way; use "earth"quakes! A network of seismometers measuring waves generated in the planet by quakes can be used to map interior. The algorithms used are similar to that used in CAT scans.

A similar method is used to determine the interior structure of the Sun and stars, but here we can see the surface vibrating.
I suppose you could do the same for a solid object. Measure the very tiny motions of the crust using laser altimeters in lots of places simultaneously with a fleet of spacecraft. By that's what seismometers do from the ground ... a lot simpler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts