Comet 103P/Hartley 2 Visibility

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brandbll

MeteorWayne":jj6ufjof said:
I finally spotted the comet tonight for the first time in my 7x35 binos at midnight. I never would have picked it up sweeping the sky, a star chart was essential. Really quite diffuse and faint (Of course, this was in my moderately light polluted neighborhood) A good chance to spot it will be on the morning of the 19th when it will be near the "kids", the isosceles triangle of stars just to the right of Capella. I plan to go up to the observatory after moonset for some meteor observing, so may get out the ol' Astroscan 2001; it should be a good instrument for it.

MW

Would it have been clearly visible to the naked eye on the night of the 14th if i was way out of the city in the woods? I saw something that looked long odd and blurry, but i couldn't figure out if it was some sort of star cluster or what.

A

adrenalynn

Probably night. You'd pretty much have probably had your retina seared by something bright like the Sisters. ;) Seriously, possible in dark enough skies, but only juuuust for a very good observer.

M

MeteorWayne

The skies would have to have been VERY dark, more like desert or mountaintop than just away from the city. For example, the nearby double cluster (which can appear cometlike) is far brighter.

B

brandbll

I figured it was a cluster, but then i remembered the whole Hartley thing and i thought "what if????" Thank you two for the help though, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.