comet sighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oppca0

Does anyone know of this comet? <br />Many years ago I was in northern MN out at the end of a logging road. I and three friends had thought it a good idea to 'camp out'. The only thing that probably saved our lives was it was so still. 30 below, not a breath of wind. But, my comment has to do with what I saw that morning just before sunup. Just enough above the horizon to be seen in its entirety was a comet. It was perfectly shaped as if you took an old style broom, cut off the handle and turned it over, rounded end down, flat end up. It was beautiful. I believe it was January of 1970, ('71, '72?).

H

harmonicaman

Yes, I remember it well; that was Comet Kohoutek, and it was in January, <i>1974.</i> Kohoutek was considered a bust by many astronomers because it didn't reach its expected magnitude, but it was nonetheless a pretty cool naked eye object.

Q

qso1

You more than likely saw Comet Bennett.<br /><br />Comet Kouhoutek passed in late 1973 early 1974 and I got the opportunity to see both. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts