Cosmos by Carl Sagan

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

someone_else

Hello all! I was hoping for some knowledgeable criticism (pro or con) on the book <i>Cosmos</i> by Carl Sagan. I read the book with great fascination and was wondering...how factual is it? I know that much of the material is outdated at this point in time, but in the time the book was written, was it considered a book of sound scientific principles? I appreciate any, and all, feedback.

5stone10

<font color="yellow">considered a book of sound scientific principles...</font><br /><br /><br />Yes - more or less. Though Sagan was criticised at the time by collegues for presenting scientific findings in too 'populist' a fashion.

S

spaceman186000mps

Ahh!!! What a nice refreshing subject.<br /> You see....<br /> I never had the pleasure meeting Dr. Sagan personally but his vision still exist in my spirit and his ashes are now in orbit around this good Earth.<br /><br />As a youth he took my and others minds past the point of factual imagination to a point of serenity deep within where I and others dwell in now in our quest for knowledge seeking and comprehension of the stars and unknown matters of universes.<br /><br />Here's a good link on Dr. Sagan<br />And a good free Encyclopedia<br /> <br /><br /><br /> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan<br /><br /><br />His voice alone was enough to hypnotize me as a youth .<br /><br />Here's his Baloney detection kit<br /><br />http://www.xenu.net/archive/baloney_detection.html<br /><br /> It was he ( Carl Edward Sagan ) who suggested we build a nuclear powered starship in orbit and instead of using nuclear bombs as weapons on earth, why not instead use them behind a shielded star ship in a putt putt series to go to the stars.<br /> Of course he also noted that with the increase in speed from each nuclear explosion , that you would also need to reverse direction before you arrived at a destination and explode an equal amount of nukes to slow the massive ship down. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">70 percent of novel proceeds </font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">www.trafford.com/06-1593</font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff"> are donated to </font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">www.caringbridge.org</font></strong></p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

Spaceman, You too?<br />When I first read 'Gardens of Eden', I was amazed to find how two people growing up far apart can be thinking exactly the same way. Page after page I found Sagan is saying the same thing I have been holding in my mind while in college.<br /><br />How much the Cosmos DVD cost, anyway? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

S

spaceman186000mps

Yep me too ...<br />His talk of unknown galaxies and Dyson spears must have also been a great asset to Larry Niven, in the writing of the Protectors and Ring-world and also Ring-world engineers which I'm finishing now.<br /> He escaped the gravity of earth four days before my 45th birthday. He is remembered here.<br /><br />Carl Sagan had and has a visionary logical mind. <br /> In us (the ones that read and know his message) <br /> He still very much exist. Always will too... <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">70 percent of novel proceeds </font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">www.trafford.com/06-1593</font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff"> are donated to </font></strong><strong><font size="2" color="#3366ff">www.caringbridge.org</font></strong></p> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

HAHAHAHAHA<br />Steve:<br />Thanks for correcting the book name. Now you can guess how along ago it was that I forgot the name of a book that shook up my thinking. The other book was 'Broca's Brain'.<br /><br />Spaceman:<br /><font color="red">I and others dwell in now in our quest for knowledge seeking and comprehension of the stars and unknown matters of universes. </font><br />Sometimes I feel I'm the only person who spend times thinking about these matters, despite all the temptations from normal society. It is always a great feeling to know there are others, though few, who also are mesmerized by the mystery of our existence and looking for a scienctific answer.<br /><br />Another thing I heard about Sagan is he held his view about God till his death. I'm aware of many strong non-believers who becomes somewhat religious when they near their death. Sagan was a true believer in science. I also consider myself as one like him.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

D

dragon04

As a kid growing up in the 60's, the Apollo program led my attention to the stars.<br /><br />As a teenager and young adult, Carl Sagan permanently cemented it to them. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

T

toothferry

I use to watch the Cosmos series on PBS as a kid. ..was just about the most anticipated program of the week

S

someone_else

I can't tell you all how much your responses excite me! I was mesmerized by Cosmos (the book) and it completely changed my life. I am constantly contemplating my existence, the history of astronomy and the future of mankind. My education is in banking however, so I still have a lot of factual ground to cover, but I am slowly making my way to understanding. I loved the way he wrote that book: clear, concise and full of love for the stars. Thank you for the reference to his other books; I look forward to continuing my learning experience. I am glad to know that Mr. Sagan's work has touched so many other lives. <br /><br />Any other works by Mr. Sagan that you can recommend?

S

spaceman186000mps

D

dragon04

For something different, read Broca's Brain by Dr. Sagan. <br /><br />One of my favorite quotes from the book is :<br /><br />"My deeply held belief is that if a god of anything like the traditional sort exists, our curiosity and intelligence were provided by such a god...on the other hand if such a god does not exist then our curiosity and intelligence are the essential tools for survival. In either case the enterprise of knowledge is essential for the welfare of the human species."<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

E

edge_of_reason

WE shall not see his like again.<br /><br />Some of us grew up in the shine of his passions for space exploring. Him and his wife even chose the music and sounds of planet Earth for adding on the Voyager records. He was very sincere about it all, notr just doing it for the money...<br /><br />yeah, I think it's fair to say he was such a rare gift to humanity, and we'd be lucky to see his kind again...<br /><br />Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts