Could we artificially create this in space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kewell_

I was watching the Dark Matter special on the History channel and it got me thinking.<br /><br />What creates the center of a gravitational pull. And if we know what creates it, why cant we recreate it in space?

R

richalex

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>What creates the center of a gravitational pull. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Acceleration, either from mass or from change in velocity. <br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>And if we know what creates it, why cant we recreate it in space? <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>We cannot create very much mass, and the creating uniform acceleration in a small spacecraft is difficult.

D

derekmcd

I think it's fair to say we don't know what causes gravity other than to put forth that gravity is a consequence of mass.<br /><br />The Higgs boson is used to describe the hows and whys particles have mass in the first place, but, unfortunately, it has yet to be discovered, much less proven.<br /><br />As for creating it, I'm not sure what you are proposing.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

O

origin

<font color="yellow">The Higgs boson is used to describe the hows and whys particles have mass in the first place, but, unfortunately, it has yet to be discovered, much less proven.</font><br /><br />That should change this spring when the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) goes to full power. The LHC will have collisions that are up to 1 TeV. 1 TeV is the mass that is theorized for the Higgs boson, other compelling theories have the mass in the 200 MeV range. There is an excellent write up in <i>Scientific America</i> on the LHC. If you go to here you can find it on line. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

I've got my fingers crossed hoping for no more set backs. I read an article a while back explaining the energies in layman's terms. Take the energy of all the particles of two city buses colliding head on and focus that into a beam less than the diameter of a human hair. Pretty impressive. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Eventually we could find the correct circumstances but in a future astronomy magazine I once read it was discussing such traits and said it would be a 100 years before we could begin to dream. And some astronomers now think that dark energy doesn't exist. (Search Space.com for this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts