Could we artificially create this in space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kewell_

I was watching the Dark Matter special on the History channel and it got me thinking.<br /><br />What creates the center of a gravitational pull. And if we know what creates it, why cant we recreate it in space?

R

richalex

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>What creates the center of a gravitational pull. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Acceleration, either from mass or from change in velocity. <br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>And if we know what creates it, why cant we recreate it in space? <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>We cannot create very much mass, and the creating uniform acceleration in a small spacecraft is difficult.

D

derekmcd

I think it's fair to say we don't know what causes gravity other than to put forth that gravity is a consequence of mass.<br /><br />The Higgs boson is used to describe the hows and whys particles have mass in the first place, but, unfortunately, it has yet to be discovered, much less proven.<br /><br />As for creating it, I'm not sure what you are proposing.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

O

origin

<font color="yellow">The Higgs boson is used to describe the hows and whys particles have mass in the first place, but, unfortunately, it has yet to be discovered, much less proven.</font><br /><br />That should change this spring when the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) goes to full power. The LHC will have collisions that are up to 1 TeV. 1 TeV is the mass that is theorized for the Higgs boson, other compelling theories have the mass in the 200 MeV range. There is an excellent write up in <i>Scientific America</i> on the LHC. If you go to here you can find it on line. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

derekmcd

I've got my fingers crossed hoping for no more set backs. I read an article a while back explaining the energies in layman's terms. Take the energy of all the particles of two city buses colliding head on and focus that into a beam less than the diameter of a human hair. Pretty impressive. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Eventually we could find the correct circumstances but in a future astronomy magazine I once read it was discussing such traits and said it would be a 100 years before we could begin to dream. And some astronomers now think that dark energy doesn't exist. (Search Space.com for this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts