Dec. 5/6 Delta 4 - WGS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zipi

Launch window: 0021-0141 GMT on 3rd (7:21 p.m.-8:41 p.m. EST on 2nd)
Launch site: SLC-37B, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

The United Launch Alliance Delta 4 rocket will launch the third Wideband Global SATCOM spacecraft, formerly known as the Wideband Gapfiller Satellite. Built by Boeing, this geostationary communications spacecraft will serve U.S. military forces. The rocket will fly in the Medium+ (5,4) configuration with four solid rocket boosters. Delayed from Sept. 30 and Nov. 18. Delayed from Nov. 19 due to winds holding up payload's mounting atop the rocket and the need to recharge spacecraft batteries back at processing facility.

wgs3_320.jpg

Livestream: http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_webcast.html
Infopack: http://www.ulalaunch.com/launch/WGS-3/WGS-3_MOB.pdf
Spaceflight Now Mission Status Center: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/delta/d346/status.html

Z

Zipi

Re: Dec. 2 Delta 4 - WGS 3

The forecast of dismal weather and bleak odds of launching the Delta 4 rocket Wednesday evening from Cape Canaveral have led mission managers to postpone the flight by 24 hours.

Liftoff will be retargeted for Thursday during a window stretching from 7:22 to 8:43 p.m. EST.

Z

Zipi

So far so good... If weather allows we should see the first ever launch of Delta 4 Medium+ rocket.

Unfortunately it will be 02:22-03:43 AM Finnish time, so I'm not able to watch this live. But it is very likely that Youtube will help at the morning. ;)

M

MeteorWayne

Clock reset for 0123 UT, 8;23 PM EST launch time.

Weather is an issue (upper air winds?), as well as a techinical anomoly, which I missed hearing about.

The ULA stream Zipi linked to above is active.

M

MeteorWayne

Clock reset to the end of the launch window, 43 minutes after the current hour. Weather is the main issue; possibly a tecnivcal issue, which I still haven't heard discussed

L - 15 minutes

M

MeteorWayne

Launch Scrubbed for 24 hours :(

Z

Zipi

Screen capture from stream:

Del4_Medium+_WGS3.jpg

Air Force Statement:

Cape Canaveral AFS, Fla. (Dec. 3, 2009) - The launch of the Air Force’s Delta IV Wideband Global SATCOM-3 (WGS-3) mission was scrubbed this evening due to additional time required to trouble shoot an anomaly with a ground launch control system. A second launch attempt has been preliminarily rescheduled for Friday, Dec. 4, with a launch window of 7:22-8:45 p.m. EST.

From my personal point of view this is a good thing, since today I'm able to stay awake and watch the launch since I don't have to go to work at weekends. But I probably have to start "tanking" myself a couple of hours before they start tanking Delta. ;)

Z

Zipi

Yet again delay:

Delta IV WGS-3 Mission Targeted for Launch Dec. 5

Cape Canaveral AFS, Fla., (Dec. 4, 2009) - The launch of the Air Force’s Delta IV Wideband Global SATCOM-3 (WGS-3) mission is now targeted for Dec. 5 with a launch window of 7:23-8:47 p.m. EST. After evaluating the situation, mission managers believe this will give the launch team the time required to replace an electronics card that is part of the ground equipment used to monitor telemetry data from the Delta IV and related systems for the launch. An anomaly with this monitoring system hardware led to the scrub of the first launch attempt Dec. 3. The Delta IV and WGS-3 spacecraft are safe and secure. Further updates on the status of the Delta IV WGS-3 mission will be issued as new information is available.

And we might have even longer delay:

The launch weather officer is predicting a 40 percent chance of acceptable conditions on Saturday and an 80 percent favorable outlook for Sunday evening.

M

MeteorWayne

Thanx for the updates Zipi!

Z

Zipi

Direct stream URL:

http://mfile.akamai.com/29730/live/refl ... 680&prop=n
(you may have to copy & paste this to your media player)

Live will start in 6 minutes. Lets see how things are progressing:

2344 GMT (6:44 p.m. EST)
Current observations show no violation of the cloud rules, there's no rain in the area and ground winds are within limits. The upper level winds are the only issue being watched.

M

MeteorWayne

Upper level winds are go at this time; about 20 minutes to opening of launch window.

Z

Zipi

So far so good... Maybe we see the launch soon. At least I'm hoping so since this is the second "countdown" for me to wait this launch to happen. If it delays yet again 24 hours or more I'm not able to see the launch live. But now I will continue my personal countdown for at least one more beer. :)

It is 2:06 AM at Finnish time.

M

MeteorWayne

Cheers, my friend. I appeciate all your updates of launches....It keeps me tuned in so I don't miss any.

If all goes well, the launch should occur before a beer is complete, unless you drink fast :)

M

MeteorWayne

Rats, now red for upper level winds, the launch will be delayed :(

Z

Zipi

MeteorWayne":3lguokii said:
If all goes well, the launch should occur before a beer is complete, unless you drink fast :)

Maybe a little or more offtopic for this thread, but I'm not that fast drinker. I like to enjoy the taste. ;)

But let's see if we can see the launch today. Currently red for upper level winds and no T-0 defined at the moment.

M

MeteorWayne

OT too, I'm usually not either, but I get nervous before launches so tend to wig out :)

Z

Zipi

8:00EST current T-0 time. But that didn't sound too promising for me...

Del4_Medium+_WGS3_2.jpg

M

MeteorWayne

Jeez, this is torture....No Go on upper level winds again...about 45 minutes left in the launch window, but it keeps sliding to the right... :(

Z

Zipi

MeteorWayne":2gzralhu said:
Jeez, this is torture....No Go on upper level winds again...about 45 minutes left in the launch window, but it keeps sliding to the right... :(

Hmph. Well, lets wait and see. Seems that it is popcorn time for me to justify the next beer. :cool:

8:30 EET new T-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts